What a crappy kickstand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What a crappy kickstand

Any ideas? Also the kickstand constantly sinks into the hot pavement.

Last edited by Li432Paul; 03-06-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 PM

Paul, this is what you need. It's made by a fellow named Twinheadlight Ernie in in Minnesota. Many of us have this. Very well made. I put a coat of primer and then 2 coats of flat black on it. http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.co...58353580_QZ3En
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:22 PM

Ernie's Fatfoot!! Powder coat it and enjoy! No sinking at all.

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Was it parked on a downhill slant, instead of uphill? It may have rolled forward from the force of gravity...
Speedy Gonzalez of San Diego California makes a nice Flat Foot for the Versys. $40 + shipping. ($5 US to US/$10 US to Canada/$12 US to Europe and worldwide)
Made of 6061-T6 aluminum with stainless steel hardware, it's also available in black anodized. Flat Foot shown in second pic is made to fit with the lowering kit, also available from Speedy.
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=3169.0
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=3132.0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zflatfoot.jpg (29.7 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg zblackff.jpg (72.6 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg zff.jpg (34.3 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg zslk.jpg (39.3 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg zslkk.jpg (41.0 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by invader; 06-20-2008 at 11:25 PM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 AM

I was always taught to park the bike in first gear then roll it forward as far as possible before putting the kickstand down. That way it can't roll forward causing the stand to collapse... and if it rolls backward the stand won't be able to collapse.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 AM

Mine sinks into the pavement, a lot faster than any other bike i've had....I put a plate under the kickstand.

'15 DL1000
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM

kickstand

sounds more like operator error than a failure of the kickstand...u were either parked on a downhill grade or u never extended the kickstand all the way out....I always hold the bike for a few seconds to make sure it is stable..and then double check ...any time I have dropped a bike it has always been my fault.....
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:14 PM

I just carry one of the 50 kick stand plates I have picked up free over the years in the tank bag. Cost 0, installation 3 seconds, painting none...

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I just carry one of the 50 kick stand plates I have picked up free over the years in the tank bag. Cost 0, installation 3 seconds, painting none...
+1

'15 DL1000
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 PM

I had own many different bikes. Some kickstands are designed better than others.

Whenever I parked, I make sure the bike is stable (either in gear or what ever) before I jump off and walk away from the bike.

I had never drop a bike. Making sure the bike is stable before moving away from it save some $.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Like Hooligan, I carry a "kickstand plate" at all times in the little pocket on the back of the tank bag. It is just a piece of hard aluminum, 2" X 4" X 1/4" thick.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

The ground was on a very slight downward incline, from now on I will keep the bike in gear. I won't make that mistake twice. I have to get one of those kickstand adapters soon. From just a drop it did a quite amount of damage, leftside cowl, clutch lever, leftside engine cover, leftside radiator cover, bent the shifter, scuffed the front left signal and handlebar weight. All parts on order.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 AM

Li432Paul - this is not your fault. I have the same problem with my bike as well - exactly what you described happened to me. Luckilly, my bike didn't suffer any damage - just a tweaked mirror. I never had this problem on my previous bike.

What I've noticed is that when the kickstand is down and on the pavement - it's not really down all the way. I usually have to jiggle the handlebars and/or put my foot in behind the kickstand and pull it out even more. I've lubed the entire stand mechanism but that only improved the coming down part - not the lock part.

I get real nervous every time I do my oil check because I have to set the bike back down and I know that kickstand is not secure. But, I'm on the wrong side to do that and in a bad position if the bike begins to slip to catch it.

If you get one of the fatfoot options - do a write up, I'd like to know if this improves this situation. I have a feeling our kickstands are not welded to the frame properly and they touch down too early.

Also, any naysayers out there - my drop happened in my perfectly flat garage. It just rolled right off the stand like Li432Paul described.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 PM

I am in California, we don't have Versys here yet, so I can't really tell if the kickstand is any good or not. Versys has been out in Europe for a couple of years, wondering if they have any problem there...

One other thing, make sure the handlebar is turn all the way to the left, then put the kickstand down all the way and lean the bike over. If the bike still seem unstable on a level ground, then there might be a design flaw... When working on bike, any force pushing the bike forward will likely tip the bike over.... Use caution!

Last edited by LAVersys; 06-22-2008 at 06:17 PM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM

ehhh?

Or you can be dumb ass like me and pull what I did on my first bike.

I got off and forgot all about the kick stand. It was a Yamaha V-Star. All I remember was the bike rolling on top of me as I tried to save it. I ended up bending the left handle bar.. lucky!!!
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
One other thing, make sure the handlebar is turn all the way to the left, then put the kickstand down all the way and lean the bike over. If the bike still seem unstable on a level ground, then there might be a design flaw... When working on bike, any force pushing the bike forward will likely tip the bike over.... Use caution!
This is what I do everytime now. I also put my foot behind the kickstand and pull it out. I never had to do this on my F650CS and I've asked other forum members if their V's had this problem and no one said they did. I should make a video of the issue.

The biggest problem is checking the oil, because I'm on the wrong side of the bike to ensure it's fully retracted.

I'm going to have my dealer check it out. I thought it just might be my bike, but it looks like this Versys owner also has the same exact problem.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM

I finally parked the bike on a flat surface (in the driveway I pull in sideways so the bike is much higher than the kickstand and then lean it over). On a flat street, the versys doesn't lean enough to the left. I also noticed that when the tires cooled down, the bike moved.

Can the kickstand be adjusted so it sticks out more (for more of a lean) and a little forward (so the kick stand doesn't pop up if the bike is pushed forward)?
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirpoopen View Post
I finally parked the bike on a flat surface (in the driveway I pull in sideways so the bike is much higher than the kickstand and then lean it over). On a flat street, the versys doesn't lean enough to the left. I also noticed that when the tires cooled down, the bike moved.
You should park this way if the ground is not level. If you park the other way, kickstand higher than bike; most likely the bike will tip over to the right. I have seen many riders do that. Again, make sure the handlebar is turn all the way to the left.

Bike should not moved at all, even after tire cool off. There is something else going on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimirpoopen View Post
Can the kickstand be adjusted so it sticks out more (for more of a lean) and a little forward (so the kick stand doesn't pop up if the bike is pushed forward)?
I have seen mechanics heat up the stand using torch and kind of bend it so that the bike lean more to the left. They do that when the bike is modified lower. I personally will not lower my bike and do any modification to the stand unless it is necessary.

Last edited by LAVersys; 06-23-2008 at 02:32 AM.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The side stand actually seems too short to me also compared to all previous motorcycles, causing it to lean a bit more than it should. It sits better on a 1/4" to 1/2" thick support. I do have the front suspension preload up to maximum height resulting in less sag, and the rear at position 3 which keeps the rear suspension fully extended when I'm not on it...
I've never had one drop off the side stand. My Hepco & Becker crash bars and Zeta hand guards on tapered aluminum handlebars without bar-end weights and rear swingarm slider spools have already paid themselves after I wiped out off the ledge of a dirt road onto the grass at about 30 mph. I just straightened out the rear brake lever and there is no damage whatsoever! I was also able to fit Happy Trail's skid plate with the crash bars...

Last edited by invader; 06-23-2008 at 04:30 AM.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 AM

My bike is parked every morning on a dirt drive way , slightly downhill and left idling , not had a problem with it falling over .

i do always double check that the bike is stable when it is on the stand ( done it with all my bikes )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode