Rookie error - scratched my swingarm, made my tires lethal with Armorall. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rookie error - scratched my swingarm, made my tires lethal with Armorall.

Who knew cleaning my Versys could mess it up so bad!?!?

In an epic display of stupididty yeaterday, I managed to scratch the powdercoat on the swingarm with a misaligned stand, and nearly kill myself by spraying f#*%ing Armorall Tire shine on my tires and turning them into teflon. I could literally push the bike across the street with the front tire locked up. That stuff is insane, I don't understand how a product is sold that creates a deadly situation when used as directed (well, I guess cigarettes work that way too . There's no instruction to only spray on the sidewall, and no warning not to use on motorcycles. I had to ride the Vespa in to work today, while I figure out how to get that crap of my tires. I'm thinking simple green?

What to do about the powdercoat? a little silver touch up paint and clear nail polish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Simple green will probably take the crap off. But beware SG is very corrosive on aluminum, keep it off the wheels. SG was used for a while on helo's but they found it was corroding some important bits!

If you can get the bike to a rough/dirt road near you, that will probably take the stuff off as well-but getting it there might be the issue!

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 AM

Take a little laquer thinner on a rag. ArmorFall will clean right off.

My kid did this with his bicycle, crashed in the driveway.
I used laquer thinner and it made the tires really grippy.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM

"That stuff is insane, I don't understand how a product is sold that creates a deadly situation when used as directed (well, I guess cigarettes work that way too . There's no instruction to only spray on the sidewall, and no warning not to use on motorcycles. I had to ride the Vespa in to work today, while I figure out how to get that crap of my tires. I'm thinking simple green?"

Really? Your really asking this question? Sorry, call me a jerk but, its people like you that make a product like Preparation H put a warning on the box to "not ingest orally."
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

OK, if you insist: You are a jerk.

You would know more than I about Preparation H, but c'mon dude, the stuff is made to go ON YOUR TIRES. Not your best analogy, or maybe it was.

I see what kind of a guy you are, so make your next unpleasant comment, I'm already done with ya.

Last edited by greenbriel; 10-05-2009 at 02:06 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone (else), just bought some lacquer thinner, can't wait to clean this crap off.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM

"Sidewalls" I've never ever seen anyone use tire shine on the driving surface of any tire.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Soap and water dude. Thats it. Be careful. After you clean that crap off you'll be ok. Scrub them and they come out ok. I'm anal about cleaning but watch what you use, remember you only have 2 wheels. Good luck with your new ride
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM

greenbriel,

If it makes you feel any better, I did exactly the same thing on a Triumph Tiger that I had a while back. I didn't go down, but I did a pretty cool fishtail move pulling out of my neighborhood.

The funny thing is that I received some less than constructive criticism about it on another forum before the fishtail incident.

I was prepping the bike to sell so I cleaned her up (complete with Armorall on the tires). I had always ridden offroad and dualsport bikes, so I had never had occassion to make a bike look pretty. I figured Armorall on the tires was a nice touch.

When I posted the pictures on ADVRider, one of the folks there made some snide comment about "is that tire dressing I see" or something like that. I didn't get the joke. I thought they were making fun of me for trying to make the bike look nicer than it really was. The next morning I road the bike to work and found out that their snide comment was their way of warning me that Armorall and motorcycle tires don't mix.

I'll never make that mistake again. I bet you won't either.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Greenbriel-

I am sorry to say this, but that was a Full-Rack Royal Green Horn move! And quite frankly, made my day.
ArmorFall...Priceless

Dont worry I think most of us have made a stupid move before. That is how we learn.
I would use the soap and water suggestion or just carefull hit a gravel road as mentioned. They'll scrub up quick.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Dont worry I think most of us have made a stupid move before.
Hah!
Speak for yourself.
This is some Darwin Award stuff.
WD-40 on the brake rotors too?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
Hah!
Speak for yourself.

Don't forget to Armorall the seat, grips, and the rubber on the footpegs also!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 PM

Just a tip when using armorall on sidewalls...Put it on a small sponge and apply to sidewalls only and don't oversaturate lest it drip down on the important rubber part...
Oh yeah Powerranger, tried that stunt on the seat of my truck...Cripes, 1st time I hit the brakes almost slid under the dash Nope, didn't have the seatbelt on either...Doing the short hop seegar run

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 AM

Our side walls are so small I can't see the point of even putting this stuff on them.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
Hah!
Speak for yourself.
Looks like I got the Armorall off, I think I will try the WD-40 on the rotors next, thanks for the tip Shatrat!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, one more lesson learned. Still think there should be some stronger warnings about getting that crap on the bits that need to be sticky. If you've never encountered Armorall before, it's a tough way to find out the stuff is like teflon.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Just a tip when using armorall on sidewalls...Put it on a small sponge and apply to sidewalls only and don't oversaturate lest it drip down on the important rubber part...
Oh yeah Powerranger, tried that stunt on the seat of my truck...Cripes, 1st time I hit the brakes almost slid under the dash Nope, didn't have the seatbelt on either...Doing the short hop seegar run
Made that mistake on the seat of a quad a long, long, long, time ago.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I BELIEVE the Versys Owner's Manual warns against dressing the tires (can't say for sure, as my "V" is in AZ, and we get re-introduced on the 16th after 6 months apart...). Look on page 159, then on 160 for the warning...!

Ed

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-06-2009 at 11:06 AM.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Had a waterbed bladder fail once, it had cracked on a seam. So as to ensure the next bladder did not fail prematurely I took the proactive step of Armoralling it.
The bladder lasted forever but I always had a hard time keeping sheets on it as it was slicker then iced teflon.

muskie
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM

In the distant pre-Armorall past, everyone used black shoe polish for detailing tires. Shines good once it's buffed out...

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM

I've used Armor All before and I swear it said not to use it on bikes right on the label.

At any rate this is directly from their site.

Attention: Use only on sidewalls, not treads. Avoid over-spray on treads, brakes or floors. Do not use on cycle tires. Brake dust and other residue from tire can spot driveway. To avoid, rinse driveway immediately after use.

Always read and follow precautions and usage directions before using cleaning products. Always store cleaning products out of reach of children

Edit:Puting this stuff on the tread of your motorcycle is like putting oil on them to minimize wear, but keep in mind he did NOT ride down the road with them all greased up! So he does score some points.

"One day last week I was riding my bike, I can't remember exactly what day it was, maybe Tuesday, around 3:00pm or was it 4:00pm, not sure but I think it was 3:00pm when I noticed the fuel gauge started blinking, you know the last bar on the bike telling you need to get gas, so I looked for the next gas station, right down the road was two gas stations an Exxon and a BP, both had exactly the same price, so I couldn't decide, so I just picked one, after filling up I continued on my way." --fitz

Last edited by fitz; 10-06-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode