How many people have wrecked their versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How many people have wrecked their versys?

Hunting through the various Versys oriented boards, it seems there are more than a few threads on banged up Versii. Am I just reading the same posts over and over about high-side, low-side, rear-ended a truck, lost it in the rain Versys mangulation... or has there been an unusual number of unlucky versys pilots?

My last ride was a KLR 650, and I often felt like there were too many untimely deaths for experienced KLRistas, and wondered if green was an unlucky color.

BTW.. I now have 175 miles on my 3 day old Versys and I think it's a fine scoot. My Corbin flat KLR650 shaped backside is starting to mold itself to the Versys saddle, although I may need to build the nose up on the seat to keep the 'boys' happy. I have one floppy mirror that I cannot seem to keep in any one position for more than a few miles. I changed the oil last night and swapped out for some Rotella and a Puralator filter from Advanced Auto. I LOVE the motor, and have been a good little motoscooter, keeping her generally around the 4000 rpm mark with only a few transgressions into the higher rev range just to keep my sanity.

Oh yeah, and I've been stopped at Hwy Patrol roadblocks twice in the last 6 weeks and checked for license and insurance... won't be long before they know me by name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had my first mishap this past Sunday while heading to NC for vacation.

I hit some really loose stuff turning onto a street two blocks from home and was all over the road, kept it on two wheels but hit the curb pretty hard. Came away with a bent front wheel and a few sore body parts. Ordered new wheel, should have early next week, I hope.

I sure missed a great vacation.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM

ive had about 2-3 close calls but nothing major.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 PM

almost bought the farm

I was heading up to the mountains the other day in NC. There were two cars in front of me and an 18 wheeler behind me. The first car started slowing for a turn and when I checked my mirror for the truck's proximity I guess I looked to long. When I looked back at the cars they were stopped. The first and worse thing I did was lock the rear tire. I began to fishtail. The bike was easy to control if that makes sense. When I came to a stop, I had steered the skid to right side of the second car, and stopped about six inches forward of the rear bumper. Close. It was good day of riding after that once I got the seat out of my rump. That pucker effect was rough.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 PM

Had the front wheel slide out on gravel that washed onto the street from my neighbors driveway. The bike was three weeks old. Scratched the cowl and left mirror, tweaked the bars and shift lever a bit. Still rides great, will replace the bars after vacation.

The tip over switch works!
If it was going to happen I'm glad it did before the Givi's came in.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 PM

The first day I was riding my first bike (my new V) I was on a sleepy little road doing about 35 mph when a suburban driving soccer mom came flying around a blind curve 2/3 of the way in my lane. Luckily I was on the inside of the corner...2 ft. over and it would have been an untimely end. It was all I could do to not turn around and send a rock through her windshield! All that to say it can happen to any of us at any time so keep your heads up...and that suv driving, phone-talking, soccer moms are the devil.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 AM

I don't feel so bad now. First day of riding after the MSF course on my brand new Versys. Came to a stop sign on a left hand sloping side street, went to put my left foot down and, OOH CRAP, nothing there and over I went bike and all. Bent the shift lever (I bent it back right then and there), and snapped the ball off of the clutch lever. Besides my pride, effort from picking the bike up going up hill, thats the only damage sustained. Boy did I feel like an idiot, thank God no one was around to see me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 AM

I started a thread about my mishap; took a turn, hit gravel and went down. For a bike that is labeled dual purpose it doesn't handle all that well on gravel. There are few other people that say they tires are slick once you get leaned over a little to far. My brother-in-law and I were talking about it and he agrees that the bikes height and riders center of gravity might because some of these issues, I am not a rocket scientist though so I wouldn't know for sure.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 10:27 AM

I was wondering the same thing as the first post in this thread. Could you guys who have had "incidents" please tell us what kind and how much experience you have?

For you guys hitting gravel, I don't think that's the bike or the tires fault. The gravel is moving under the bike as you ride over it (like trying to walk on marbles). You've got to always look at the road and know what you're riding on/into/over and avoid, slow down or straighten up when you get to something slick like hot tar, gravel, oil, water etc. If you see some gravel covering the road, straighten up your line until you make it past the slick stuff. Don't go into turns that you can't see into so fast that you can't slow down to avoid a collision, or debris in the road.

I had the bike begin to fish tail on me when I locked up the rear brake the other day, which is why I'm looking for some better brake pads to help give me some feedback.

The Versys is certainly not a dual sport bike. The suspension is way too stiff and unforgiving, the tires are 100% street bike tires, and the front tire is only 17". Even a dirt bike leaned over in a turn on the street will slide around when it hits gravel on the road. I think an advantage to learning to ride on the dirt is that you get a feel for a bike sliding all around and riding on different surfaces.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM

I got stuck in a crack infront of my house. i was about 45ft away from my garage. only 1 mile on it. Cracked the low side cowling and snaped off my foot peg. about $500 in parts later...

4 of my friends have bikes. all 4 of them droped it during the first week of ownership. all of them minor things in the driveway. but now over 3000 miles and all is good
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:36 AM

by the way this was no average crack... i have never been on my own motorcycle (i took an msf safty corse) and after years of driving on that street i didnt realize it was going to be a problem. this thing was a few inches deep and just as wide as the tire. some kid pulled out the rubber in the street to expose the crack.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM

This is not intended as a direct comment on anyone else's post, its just my thoughts on the matter. I've been riding bikes for 35 years, professionally, for commuting, and for fun. I've had one spill, early on, that taught me a major lesson. Never assume that because you know a stretch of road it means you can push the envelope on it. Conditions can change daily, let alone week to week. Of course, we will still "push it" from time to time, but we have only ourselves to blame if something bad happens.
Also, I have 2 basic rules when riding. 1) Everyone in a car is an idiot. 2) I'm invisible to all the idiots. I know its not always true, because I drive a car as I'm sure many of you do as well. But these rules serve as a reminder to me that I should never take anything for granted out there. Don't feel bad if you fall over. These machines only have 2 wheels and physics dictates what will happen if everything isn't just right.
We can't control every situation, but we still have the ability to affect the outcome in the majority of them. Practice, don't just ride. What do you practice? Whatever it is you feel the least comfortable with is a good place to start. I had to put about 500 km on my Versys before I really felt "at one" with it. If you don't ride on an almost daily basis, I recommend doing some practice slow turns, quick stops, and quick turns from stop. Do this at the start of your ride. Its a great way to wake up your body and brain. Think of it as a warm-up before your run. Have fun out there and keep the rubber on the road

Last edited by popster; 07-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM

I wrecked my FZ1 going slow a few years ago, being stupid, ran up too close to a car that stopped and I laid it down. It was a good lesson all the same.

Popster has some good advice, I agree 100% about the cagers, I always slow way down if I come up on anybody getting ready to turn or pull out of a drive way.

I mentioned looking for debris and stuff in the road that will screw you up, but don't fixate on it! We tend to ride where we look. If you see something that scares you, don't stare at it. Look where you want to go, look through the turn to where you need to wind up. Glance at the road surface enough to make sure you're not going to take a line on a bed of gravel mid turn, then get your eyes back where you need to go. Don't take left turn so close to the center lines that your body and bike are on the wrong side. I don't know why, but EVERY single time I ride some bozo takes a turn 1/2 into my lane, with out fail. Being slightly on the right side in a left turn has its advantages.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

If you need to turn more, you can usually lean a little more and turn the bike sharper (mind over matter). I've got some riding pals that say they always freeze up in a panic and have a hard time with this, but it's saved my but more than once by forcing the bike to turn a little more at the last moment by leaning it way over. Just don't over do it, and of course if you're really pushing it already you may be out of luck.

(the edit feature stopped working for me....)
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetsoup2003 View Post
by the way this was no average crack... i have never been on my own motorcycle (i took an msf safty corse) and after years of driving on that street i didnt realize it was going to be a problem. this thing was a few inches deep and just as wide as the tire. some kid pulled out the rubber in the street to expose the crack.
This sounds like an edge trap - Hough explains this in several of his books. I got caught yesterday in an edge trap - that I shouldn't have. I passed a car on new asphalt and when I went into the oncoming lane I realized my mistake. The pavement dropped down to the old pavement about 3". The pavers only paved the lane I was in and not the oncoming lane. Luckilly no car was coming my way because I knew if I turned back on to my lane that the bike would have fell over immediately. I stuck it out until I could rejoin my lane about 500 yards later. I just didn't see the differential between the two lanes - I'll be adding that to my list of things to look out for.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
This sounds like an edge trap - Hough explains this in several of his books. I got caught yesterday in an edge trap - that I shouldn't have. I passed a car on new asphalt and when I went into the oncoming lane I realized my mistake. The pavement dropped down to the old pavement about 3". The pavers only paved the lane I was in and not the oncoming lane. Luckilly no car was coming my way because I knew if I turned back on to my lane that the bike would have fell over immediately. I stuck it out until I could rejoin my lane about 500 yards later. I just didn't see the differential between the two lanes - I'll be adding that to my list of things to look out for.
this is close to what i had. i am a very novice rider. i just hit 3000 miles, i strive every day to become a safer rider. now i just know to keep a very very close eye on the road. I just made a mistake that i will never make again.

what book are you talking about by hough?

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:00 PM

post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:51 PM

Ordered the Kawasaki/Givi side bags for mine when I bought it-They came in a week later after I had gotten used to the bike. Went on easy enough-but when I pushed her into the garage, i forgot to adjust for the extra width, bumped my truck with the bag, and down I go. Of course I ws on the wrong side of the bike and could do much but guide the fall to a semi soft spot(paint can) and keep it from going all the way down to the cement! Picked it up and had zero damage-Whew!! Glad no one saw that!! Then the other day I had a light change on me at a known bad intersection and I grabbed the binders- The back locked momentarily and I had to ask myself if that just happened?! It controlled really great and stopped no probs. Blame it ion the greasy road!!(my friend just laughed. Of course the most sickening sound happened 15 years ago several times- I might add. Pulled into a car wash set the side stand walked away to get change and whats that I heard?clang!! Side stand just folded- Thats one of the worst sounds you can hear!! LOL

Last edited by thequadnut; 07-07-2008 at 09:54 PM.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabetsoup2003 View Post
what book are you talking about by hough?
David Hough as HeeHaw provided the links for. Hough should be your primary read right now. His writings will save your butt. The reason I knew about edge-traps is because of Hough, I know many of these things because of Hough. I read his books over and over again. Before I even grabbed my first pair of handle-bars I read Hough.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequadnut View Post
Then the other day I had a light change on me at a known bad intersection and I grabbed the binders- The back locked momentarily and I had to ask myself if that just happened?! It controlled really great and stopped no probs. Blame it ion the greasy road!!(my friend just laughed.
I'm going to say it again, 'Read Hough'. I know I'm being preachy but you never grab the binders, it's a squeeze. Also, you put on the front brake a second before you add the rear. This allows the weight to transfer onto your front wheel to prevent it from locking up. Then just rest your foot on the rear brake - that's enough to help you scrub off speed. Also, knowing that was a bad intersection meant you should have been prepared for a quick stop by resting your finger tips on the clutch and brake. You can tell me to stuff it and I don't mind - but we are here to help each other stay alive and not just show off our shiny new bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode