Latest trip from SF bay area to tahoe and back - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Latest trip from SF bay area to tahoe and back

Just finished a 700 mile trip (Thursday-Friday-Saturday) from my home in SF Bay Area via twisties to Lake Tahoe then shot across west to visit a friend in the Russian River area and back home.

Used my new Baldwin seat to fix numb butt. It was a huge improvement. I stopped every couple of hours to stretch legs and butt break. The seat worked very well but (no pun intended) my rear still would start to ask for a break.

I've included a map of my route plus some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my route from SF bay area and back.JPG (306.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg on the bike at the start.JPG (351.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg tahoe out my motel window.JPG (280.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg baldwin seat.JPG (130.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg hiedi bfast with harleys.JPG (211.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg hiedi bfast with versys.JPG (272.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg back home after 700 miles.JPG (127.1 KB, 114 views)

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:10 PM

Nice ride and pics...Thats a killer hop...Ever wanna hook up for a ride I'm in the BA...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Some more specifics about my trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Nice ride and pics...Thats a killer hop...Ever wanna hook up for a ride I'm in the BA...
Will do.

Here are some specifics about the ride:

Got up to Lake Tahoe by traveling through Livermore, Stockton and Jackson via CA-84, Vasco Rd, CA-4, CA-88, CA-89 then US-50. On Vasco road was my first encounter with interim highway resurfacing work. The best stretch was CA-88 which goes through Eldorado National Forest with spectacular scenery combined with twisties. Early on my ride on Vasco Rd the asphalt was ground off for nearly 10 miles leaving groves on the surface. It was not fun especially with impatient cars wanting to pass. I stopped at Kirkwood on CA-88 where I'd spent many years seeing motorcycles travel by and now I'm one of them. Spent the that night at a great Sushi restaurant in Lake Tahoe (Naked Fish) and gambling at Harrah's.

That night it reached the high 20s F in Lake Tahoe. Had a great breakfast and hit the road climbing out over the mountains on US-50. Proceeded to travel though Placerville, Auburn, Grass Valley, Yuba City, Colusa, Clear Lake, Calistoga, Santa Rosa and Graton via US-50, CA-49, CA-20, CA-53, CA-29, CA-12 and CA-116 respectively. My favorite stretch was on CA-49 which beautifully went thorough mountains and forests without traffic! You set your own pace. The least favorite was the stretch into Calistoga via 10 miles of hairpin turns in the late afternoon sun with much traffic and tar snakes on the road (was glad that was behind me).

Stayed the night with a friend in Graton (Russian River area) among the counter culture folks where agriculture is not corn but medical cannabis (aka medicinal marijuana). The town has seen its better days but according to my friend says it is making a come back.

The next day the wind was up which isn't a good thing when riding on the coast. Traveled through the Russian River area, Guerneville, Bodega Bay, Muir Beach, Sausalito, San Francisco then home via CA-116, US-1 and finally US-280. The Russian River area is a great ride with everything from forests, rivers, mountains and the Pacific coast.

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

Last edited by surferbum; 11-29-2009 at 08:17 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Give Hwy 4 a try

I spent a good part of the summer riding my old 1981 Honda CX500 through the back roads of California and Oregon. (I would rather have been on a V, but that will have to wait until I get 2 more through college!) The map looks like you went on 88 for the south leg of your ride, good choice, but for a change I would recommend Hwy 4. It is a little further south but has little traffic and nice corners...although there is no lane markers on a portion of the road because it is narrrow. Give it a try!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Sounds like a sweet ride...I'll hafta try it. I'll be back in Vacaville the end of Jan, maybe hook up for a ride sometime... somewhere in the hills?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode