who uses heated gear or heated grips? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
who uses heated gear or heated grips?

Love my heated jacket liner and gloves this time of year and again in the late fall. Just curious if anyone else uses heated gear or is this just a northern thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm good with just heated grips..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated jacket and gloves for me too
Adds a few more months of comfortable riding a year for me.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 AM

Heated grips but no heated gear.
I'm good down into the 30s (f).
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Heated grips but no heated gear.
I'm good down into the 30s (f).
X2, but I can ride to work when morning temps are in the 20s, as long as the afternoon is warmer. I hate riding home from work when it is cold for some reason.

'09 Versys
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 AM

I have a Widder heated vest. Heated gear comes in handy on long rides.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Garage
I will be getting heated grips and hand guards (to deflect the wind) for the fall, but my suit keeps me warm, I've been riding here at over the past 2 weeks at -5 (c) but my fingers do get cold.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 AM

Heated grips are a game changer.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I ride year round so heated gear is a must. Heated vest liner, heated gloves, and heated grips. Love the heated grips because they are always there. Even a cold rain in august can be cool and the grips make a big difference in comfort.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 AM

With my heated glove liners I'm confortable riding down to 33 degrees. ( I've ridden in temps deep in the 20's but wisdom spoke up and said maybe you shouldnt be on two wheels when theres Ice on the roads.... I ride 12 months out of the year, but i'm in the deep south.

2009 Versys
Givi E21 side cases
Leo Vince exhaust
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM

Heated jacket liner and heated grips along with KTM handguards.
I rarely ride when below 32 degrees.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaylin View Post
I will be getting heated grips and hand guards (to deflect the wind) for the fall, but my suit keeps me warm, I've been riding here at over the past 2 weeks at -5 (c) but my fingers do get cold.
I had Barkbuster Storm handguards, the ones with the big wind deflectors, that eventually bent when I dropped my bike. I did not use them last year because of this. Riding with and without them I've found they have no perceptible effect on warmth. If warmth is a issue good gloves will be a lot better investment of your money IMO. Barkbuster Storm hand guards, the the Versys fitment kit, are ~$150 - vs. replacement levers on Ebay at ~$15 - it's cheaper to have a few replacement levers and they take 5min to install, IMO. They make insulated gloves with an uninsulated palms especially for use by users with heated grips. That said heated gloves heat the back of your hand and fingers so are more comfortable and warm than heated grips in colder temps. I ride down to 0C/32F with my Gerbings T5 heated gloves and my hands stay toasty warm. My heated grips don't work effectively at those temps.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-09-2014 at 08:49 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 03:03 AM

Heated jacket liner and heated gloves. I ride year round and need them pretty much year round. What was that Mark Twain quote about Summer's in San Francisco?

I'm actually so serious about my heated jacket liner that I had a local tailor replace the heated liner's zipper with the zipper from the original liner. That was money well spent!

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Cold hands a feet are symptom. Your body core is getting cold and you brain has shut down blood flow to the extremities to stay alive.

If you keep you core warm your hands and feet are easier to keep warm. I don't think barkbuster are effective at keeping hands warm. I have never tried Hippo Hands but they look like they would be effective.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 AM

I've been cold in July ...in the rain in the mountains at the end of a 800 mile day grip heaters alone are not enough. I use grip heaters and always have a heated vest with me. For true cold weather riding more gear and more wind protection is necessary IMO.

I'm no diplomat
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Cold hands a feet are symptom. Your body core is getting cold and you brain has shut down blood flow to the extremities to stay alive.

If you keep you core warm your hands and feet are easier to keep warm. I don't think barkbuster are effective at keeping hands warm. I have never tried Hippo Hands but they look like they would be effective.

I've use these on the Versys and FJR. Great for when its cold or raining. When used with heated grips it like having your hands in a nice warm oven.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Most of my Alaska "adventures" have included my heated jacket liner WORN 90% of the time, and selected ON probably at least HALF of the 90%....

Wear it a LOT at other times too.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:25 AM

heated grips, no heated gear

I ride in the winter but this last one had WAY too many storms
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Not that I intend to hijack this thread but I would love to get a set of heated grips. What are you guys using and what are your thoughts? At the moment I am rocking bark busters and am really please with the amount of wind protection they offer my hands. Where I would have usually used my fall/spring gloves I can now use my Alpinestars SP2's which I adore but a bit more warmth on the hands in winter would be ace. I'm sick of sticking hand warmers into my thick and ungainly winter gloves.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Not that I intend to hijack this thread but I would love to get a set of heated grips. What are you guys using and what are your thoughts? At the moment I am rocking bark busters and am really please with the amount of wind protection they offer my hands. Where I would have usually used my fall/spring gloves I can now use my Alpinestars SP2's which I adore but a bit more warmth on the hands in winter would be ace. I'm sick of sticking hand warmers into my thick and ungainly winter gloves.

I had these on the Versy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBx9L5nXgSE Just ordered some for the FJR...Work Great. Amazon has the best prices at the moment.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode