Red Line Water wetter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Red Line Water wetter

I wanted to know if anyone had used red line water wetter in there versys.I got a free case from a friend and wanted to know if it really worked and what it does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Till recently I was a hot rodder. "Water Wetter" is recommended by most for their rods as very effective, so I plan to use it in my "V" when I drain the coolant.

Ed
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Thats odd, any mechanic i know that works on cars says that Red Line stuff rtots the radiator and they all suggest Royal Purples stuff.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM

I have no idea why anyone would spend money on that stuff. Prestone mixed 50/50 with distilled water works just fine, and it's all I ever use.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
FJS

It is a product that is designed for road racing as they are not allowed to use Ethylene Glycol and mixed only with water. Can be added to EG mixes as well to improve cooling.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS View Post
It is a product that is designed for road racing as they are not allowed to use Ethylene Glycol and mixed only with water. Can be added to EG mixes as well to improve cooling.
I'm aware of the road racing use. I can't see using it in a street application in a bike that doesn't overheat as it is. Stock machines don't really have cooling problems. To me, it's a waste of money. I've owned liquid cooled bikes since 1985, and they've all performed very well with conventional coolant that's changed regularly.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
What 'Water Wetter' does, is change the surface tension in your water/ antifreeze mixture. As the engine heats up the water's surface moves slightly away from the 'hot' metal, so you end up with a metal-gas-water interface IN SOME AREAS, and that's much less of a conductor compared with a metal-water interface. So 'Water Wetter' will reduce the temps in your engine (I think they claim by 20F).

Ed
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 AM

Amsoil new coolant compared with Red Line's water wetter.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/rdcb.aspx

Didn't know Amsoil also had a break-in engine oil:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/brk.aspx

This all is just FYI, for what's it's worth

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Darn it! Just when I figured out what kind of oil to use! lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 PM

I wonder how long the RLWW can last before it needs to be changed and I can't find any literature on it. If it is used for racing, it is common to get replacements after the race so that new fluids are in for the next race.

I am hearing about Engine Ice, and Motul MoCool losing its ability to cool better than stock EG coolants after a few thousand kms. It all ends up having the same cooling efficiency as EG in the end. Hoping to hear feedbacks for these enhance cooling users.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm glad you got it for free, because on your street bike it's not worth anything else.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct73 View Post
I'm glad you got it for free, because on your street bike it's not worth anything else.
We've gone round and round on cooling systems here, and the problem is that it's useless arguing with someone who doesn't understand anything about cooling system design and operation. The best that can be said is that the snake oil probably won't hurt anything other than their pocketbook.

09 Versys
00 KLR
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 AM

I used WW in my Triumphs for many years, initially because of track use. I basically never changed it unless I had some reason to open up the cooling system. My Triumphs are still running strong with about 150K miles between the 2 of them. I've also used it in my KLR650, but not my Versys (yet).

I believe WW does not offer freeze protection, so shouldn't be used in colder climates.

Michael
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Water wetter was invented because it does everything coolant does (except protect against freezing) but does not leave a slippery surface on the track like colant if you crash.

As long as you live in an area where palm trees grow or keep you bike in a heated garage you are fine with water wetter, otherwise use coolant instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode