I searched the forum and I couldn't find something specific to this topic, so apologies in advance if this has already been asked a million times:
I'm in my 3rd year of riding (30+ rider), I started on a CBR125R and moved to a Ninja 250 this year. I've put 10k km on the Ninja and loved every minute of it. Despite that (or because of that), I'm thinking of moving up next year, and I'm pretty sold on sticking with Kawi for the next bike, but I'm not sold on the model yet.
If anyone has been in a similar situation I have a few questions:
- After looking at a few of the insanely cheap liter sport bikes, I'm convinced that these things are twitchy and a bit horrifying. How would this bike be characterized in terms of power delivery? Smooth/jerky, linear/sweet spot based (if you drive a N250, you know what I mean). Will this thing pop up on me and cause me to dump as easily as a RR style bike, assuming a minor throttle mistake?
- What's the ergonomics on the Versys? It looks upright to me, but is is more so than the N250? Does it almost feel cruiser like, or closer to other sport touring (CBF1000)?
- 5'6" ... too short to flat foot?
- The front fairing looks a bit small, how much wind are you getting vs. a regular 600cc sport bike? I do a ton of highway commuting and reasonable distance day trips, this is a bit critical.
- The N250 is a bit uncomfortable for larger passengers, any better here?
- What made you choose the Versys over the N650 or ER6N? (the sales guy says they're basically all the same bike, not sure if that's true or not).
- Does it feel as responsive and flickable as the N250? If not, does it make up for it in other ways?
- Is there anything else to know about this bike, that I wouldn't even think to ask because of my background?
If it helps, these are the bikes I've been considering:
N650 - Love the looks, haven't sat on one yet. This is currently #1 in my mind (well, until tonight when I read the reviews of the Versys).
GSXR600 - Friends have them and are utterly fanatical about them.
FZ6R - Looking at a group buy with a buddy in spring, he's already sold on it. The Yamaha guys seem to hate this model for some reason, something about gimped power compared to the older model.
ZX-6R - Other friends who are also fanatical and think the GSXR600 guys are idiots
CBF600 - New to Canada for 2010, saw it at a demo day, sounded amazing, tons of features but looks are so-so.
SV650 - Looks are kinda strange, but haven't seen a single bad review of it.
Sorry for the long posting, I'm sure I could have answer 95% of this by taking a test ride but I'm guessing you guys would have more informed answers.