Top Bag - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Top Bag

After reading everthing on here about bags, my head is spinning. All I want is a GIVI motokey top case that I can stow my helmet in. I am not interested in side bags now, but may possibly add them later.

Can someone PLEASE just tell me which rack to order and which case will hold my helmet. I have a Scorpion EVO 400 XL. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:48 PM

I have the top case and rack from kawasaki which I believe is A givi case, if you go to kawasaki web sight and go to accesories its in there, the case will fit my scorpion exo 700 helmet but not much else. The rack can be used with other cases as well.http://www.kawasaki.com/kawasakinew/...CategoryID=160

Last edited by glowcat13; 09-25-2009 at 08:51 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 PM

I have the Kawasaki SW-MOTECH rear rack and the Givi E30N, Perfect combination.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM

A cheaper choice for stowing your helmet without buying a case or using the difficult latch under the seat is to use a gun lock. I am able to go thru helmet and lock to the ladder frame with ease. Helmet can not be taken unless they have bolt cutters. Cost me 6$ at wally world.
Welcome aboard dboggess!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:23 PM

If you want to figure out what's available from Givi, the Canadian site is good - www.givi.ca. Just go to "Fit your motorcycle" and you can punch in 650 Versys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 AM

Its confusing because there are so many options, so many similar and complementary products.

Kawasaki added to the confusion by sourcing the OEM Top Box (trunk) from SW Motech and the panniers (side bags) from Givi

the problem is that you cannot fit both sets of OEM rails/racks to the bike at the same time, you can however fit both rails and racks from the same manufacturer. IE if you buy the OEM top box rack you must buy the SW Motech pannier rails, if you buy the OEM pannier rails you must buy the matching Givi top box rack

to complicate matters you can fit Givi panniers to the SW Motech pannier rails. Givi also make two different styles of panniers, if you want to use the V35 / OEM K panniers you need the PLX447 pannier rails, if you want to use any other Givi Monolock pannier then you need the PL447 pannier rails

i don't know about the SW Motech pannier rails, but if you plan on going down the Givi route using the Givi pannier racks in the future then you need to buy the Givi top box rack 447fz and a suitable mounting plate for your top box. Givi have 2 types of top box Monolock and Monokey which use different adapter plates for the top box rack. IIRC M5 is the Monolock and M5M is the Monokey. Monolock is a more expensive top box but is more robust. The Givi pannier rails replace the OEM grab handles.
to add further complication the Kappa make bike luggage which fits the Givi mountign hardware with no adjustment.

so ultimately it comes down to you, what you want and how much you are prepared to spend.

you can probably get a bargain basement top box from the likes of JC Penny, fleabay or whoever whether that will fit your helmet is arguable, because no one makes a standard helmet.

if you want top box and panniers then buy either the OEM top box from K or SW Motech, and buy the SW Motech pannier rails later
OR
buy the Givi 447fz + M5 (or M5M) and buy the Givi Pannier rails later.
OR buy whatever fits your lid for know, run with it for a long as required and revisit this nightmare later on.

just a brief comment ont he Givi stuff, seems well though out but an absolute bitch to fit the top box rack and pannier rails, rails by themselves easy.

confused.. I sure as heck was.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:47 AM

I currently have the Givi monokey topcase and rack with the v35 traffic 2 topcase. Case holds a full face helmet with room to spare, and fits the lines of the v. Ordered mine from sports tour ltd. they have free shipping on Givi products and great pricing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 02:10 PM

You can check out shad. I bought it a while back and love it,look on for sale maybe soggybottom still has it up for sale. He turned me on to it. It is a great product, same as bmw I think holds a helmet backpack with no problem. Not so pricy and looks great. Be sure to check it out before you buy anything.I got the shad 40 with a shad rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode