Versys in Ford Ranger Bed--Will it fit? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys in Ford Ranger Bed--Will it fit?

My partner's Versys is ready to be picked up from the shop that repaired it after his accident last month. I plan on bringing it home in the back of a Ford Ranger but want to make sure I do it right and that it fits.

Have ramp arranged for to get it in and out. My questions are:

1. The length of the bed with the tailgate closed is 72 inches. Will it fit nose in straight or will we have to angle it?
2. How would you recommend strapping it into place? We have the straps I just want to know locations to attach to bike.
3. Should we get a Canyon Dancer bar strap? If so which size?

I know someone is going to ask why doesn't he ride it home? It is on the far north side of Houston and he doesn't want to ride it across town until he get some time in the saddle.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Just a couple of tips:
(1) DO NOT try to drive it on
(2) DO NOT turn the wheel
(3) Use a Canyon Dancer with rachet tiedowns. Make sure you compress Mr. Fork.
(4) When unloading try to back up to something, i.e. uphill curb, so you won't have so far to go. If you don't, when you back it off it will seem like 15 miles to the ground
(5) Make sure you have at least 3 BIG people to help get it off, 4 is better

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Other people have had good luck screwing a front wheel chock onto a piece of plywood that fits snug in the bed. The chock will help hold the bike stationary besides the added straps.

Anybody out there who has done this got pics????

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 AM

It'll fit, but you wont be able to close the tailgate. My Nissan has a similar length bed, it's just a little too long to close. I'd recommend you get a pair of soft-ties and hook them up above the lower triple clamp, that way there is no stress on the handlebar (you'd be surprise how much force is applied while ratcheting the tie-downs).

Do not fully compress the suspension, the less you compress it, the longer your seals will survive. Compress it just enough to keep the bike from bouncing up and down. You can also use a pair of tie-downs in the rear to stabilize the bike and prevent the rear wheel from hopping. I don't have a chock mounted, so i just pull the bike up as tight as I can against the bed. I push the bike up by myself at home, I have a nice drop in where the sidewalk meets the drive, but even there, it would probably be better with an extra person, 450 lbs are a pain to push up a normal ramp incline...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:57 PM

V in Ranger

It fits. That was a fine day indeed.

Drove 400 miles, no problems,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V in Ranger.JPG (41.5 KB, 96 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 PM

I have trailed mine from Seattle area to Palm Desert for past 3 years. No problems. Plus one on the plywood, spreads the load. Plus one on the wheel chock and plus one on not compressing the suspension.

Back the truck up to a high curb or steep drive, this will shallow the angle of the ramp and make it much easier to get in on the back.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
It fits. That was a fine day indeed.
I didn't realize you had bought yours in my back yard...

Gustavo

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 AM

Nice setup, Machog.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 PM

Yea had to head to Hillsboro OR near Portland to get one of the last two 08's I could find. Bikes were flying out the door at that time with the high gas prices and all. My local dealer wasn't able to get any more that year, now they still have a few 09's as well as some KLR's, which I was also looking at. Glad I went with the Versys although I wouldn't mind having a KLR for some dirt riding/exploring.

Looks like Machog's got it going already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode