Barkbusters question :-) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Barkbusters question :-)

Riding through last winter without handguards just plain sucked.....

I came across the following combinations on the Twisted Throttle site and am looking for some feedback. I do have the MadStad bracket + Givi Screen combo and have also moved the stock handlebar closer towards me so it clears the tank by 1 mm! I think there is a 1 inch difference at full lock now.

1. BB.S4.BK (BarkBusters Storm Handguards, Full Aluminium wrap backbone) + BB.BSC.STD (Mounting Kit) + The Versys Bar end. $$ = 60 + 31.50 + 45 = 136.50 + Tax

2. BB.S1.BK (Barkbusters Storm handguards with universal single-sided mount, black). $$ = 99.99 + Tax

3. Any other options that have simply blown you away and you highly recommend it

As always, much appreciate the input and expert advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 AM

If your not hung up on having the aluminum bar protector, several people are buying the BB Roads. They probably do not provide as much protction in a hard crash, but are extremely easy to intall and should have as much protection as say the KTM handguards which also are sans the aluminum bars.. Look on the European Versy's web sit for some good pics of BB Roads. Goo0d Luck Bro
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to E-nigma
The Storm handguards will not clear the Givi windscreen at full lock. I'm not sure if they will clear with the addition of the Madstad.

I had to remove the Givi windscreen's "side-wings" to allow clearance of my Storm handguards;

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Rhrose - not sure what you meant by "BB Roads"? Any links? Or are you referring to my option 2?

E-nigma - You have a killer setup there! I saw your other thread of your mods...nicely done! If you don't mind, could you let me know how you removed the side wings? Thanks!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Silva View Post
...If you don't mind, could you let me know how you removed the side wings? Thanks!

Me too. I was thinking about "notching" my Givi wings to clear my Buel hand guards.

I've read on the Forum that the Madstat bracket will move the windshield forward enough to clear the hand guards.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind, could you let me know how you removed the side wings? Thanks!
Belt sander would be easiest.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=De-Silva;52601]Rhrose - not sure what you meant by "BB Roads"? Any links? Or are you referring to my option 2?

Well do I ever have egg on my face. I meant to say Acerbis "Dual Road" handguards instead of BB Roads. Must have had a senior moment. Sorry.

You can see some good pics and user comments about the Dual Roads on the Versys european website. From the home page drop down to the Accessories and Products section and open it up. Go to page 3 and drop down to the topic " Handguards Again". Go to page 5 & 6 to see the pics and comments. They allegedly install in 10-20 minutes without any fit or clearance issues - they only attach at the bar ends - no handlebar mount required. They may be just the ticket if your looking for wind and water protection only with a street fighter look.. They are readily available in the USA from a plethoria of retailers. U should be able to get them for around $125. I haven't tried them myself - just bringing them to your attention. Hope this helps.

Last edited by rhrose; 09-22-2009 at 02:53 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind, could you let me know how you removed the side wings? Thanks!
1. I marked my line with blue painter's tape.
2. I used Dremel at lowest speed with cut-off disc, cutting off the wings, leaving 1/16" to 1/8" excess.
3. I switched from the cut-off to the small sanding drum on the Dremel, sanding off almost to the blue tape line.
4. I then used a hand block-sander with fairly fine sandpaper to finish the edge.

It's pretty easy actually, just take your time and be careful not to scratch anything with the Dremel or the shavings. Practice by cutting further out on the wing first. Leave the windscreen on the bike while cutting to keep it stable.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys...leaning quite heavily towards my option 1 (full setup). It doesn't appear that anyone has installed the single side clamp storm handguards....the Acerbis, yes....but not BB's. I also worry about the pushing back on the levers at higher speeds / winds.

An order going out in the next couple of days to Twisted Throttle! :-) As always, appreciate the feedback!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:05 AM

I have the Barkbusters VPS handguard and they work fairly well. I don't like how the wind protection is pushed out to the end of the handlebars by using the barends. It should be possible to eliminate the bar ends by using a small piece of pipe. I believe there is info about this the forum. I do get a small amount of contact when locking the forks. I plan on getting a set of rox risers that will solve this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to brokenhat
What is the effect of the wind protection being pushed out that far? I am in the process of installing these myself....

Matt
2012 Versys, Vario ws, Barkbuster Storms, lowering blocks, flatfoot, Zumo GPS, Givi soft side bags, Axio tail bag, Wolfman Express tank bag
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 AM

If you got the Storm handguards I doubt it would make much of a differance. The VPS handguards taper fairly quickly as you can see in my previous post. In the first picture you can see the notch in the plastic that gives air a straight shot to where you index finger would be.

If I could get the Storm plastics I think it would eliminate my issue with VPS handguards.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
The Storm handguards will not clear the Givi windscreen at full lock. I'm not sure if they will clear with the addition of the Madstad.

I had to remove the Givi windscreen's "side-wings" to allow clearance of my Storm handguards;

E-nigma, I have installed barkbuster,storm handguards as you have but Twisted Throttle tells me that the inboard clamps are not included with the kit. I sent them your photos as proof that both inboard and out board clamps are ( and should be ) included. They tell me your version of the installation is not correct...where did you find the additional inboard clamps to secure the alum. bar?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarne View Post
E-nigma, I have installed barkbuster,storm handguards as you have but Twisted Throttle tells me that the inboard clamps are not included with the kit. I sent them your photos as proof that both inboard and out board clamps are ( and should be ) included. They tell me your version of the installation is not correct...where did you find the additional inboard clamps to secure the alum. bar?
That's also the exact setup I have. From Twisted throttle. Whoever you talked to there either doesn't know or doesn't understand what you're asking him.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM

I installed the Rox Anti-Vibe handlebar risers which eliminated the problem of the hand guards hitting the Givi windscreen. Now if I could buy just the plastic deflectors from the storm hand guards to replace the VPS plastics I'd be a very happy camper.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM

Actually, Twisted Throttle is right.

Only one set of clamps is included with the Storms. I have an extra set of clamps installed because I ordered an additional set of Storm plastics after my wife damaged one of the handguards in a zero speed tipover.

Last edited by E-nigma; 02-23-2010 at 08:48 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Oh. I see now. You're referring to the plastic clips that go around the aluminum bows. I thought it was the bar clamps you were referring to.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-nigma View Post
Actually, Twisted Throttle is right.

Only one set of clamps is included with the Storms. I have an extra set of clamps installed because I ordered an additional set of Storm plastics after my wife damaged one of the handguards in a zero speed tipover.
Thanks E-nigma for clearing that up.
Still, I can't see why the manufacturer does not offer both clamps for such a relatively high ticket priced item. Without the inboard clamp it looks like the installation is incomplete or the clamp fell off exposing the two screw holes!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
3. Any other options that have simply blown you away and you highly recommend it
I have the Acerbis Multi-Concept Enduro hand guards and have been very happy with them. You don't have to worry about using the factory bar end weights or buying any from the hand guard manufacturer as they bolt right up. I think the suspended mass of AL "backbone" accomplishes the same task, as I couldn't detect a difference.

I painted over the Acerbis lablel to get rid of the billboard effect.

In the summer I just remove the plastic fairing.

You need to buy the swivel mount kit in addition to the handguards.

They are very durable as they have protected the levers twice in falls. Once my fault and once when someone/something knocked the bike over in the parking lot.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...stockId=115148
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Garage
For those looking for a more windscreen protection with use of hand guards I have a Zero Gravity Touring windscreen and Barkbuster VPS hand guards. With the screen at the highest setting I have clearance for full turn of the handlebars with the hand guards.

One note on this set up though is with installation of the hand guards I had to switch out the front brake line from stock as the bent metal tubing coming out of master cylinder to the brake line was in the way of the aluminum hand guard bar. Not a biggy for me as that was a mod I was going to do anyway. I went with the core moto brake lines plus 3" and they work perfect with this set up and look great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode