Shock wrench - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Shock wrench

Just wondering if any of you have had much sucess adjusting your shock with the hook wrench which came in the tool pouch. The one I have is impossible to use as it slips off the tabs every time I try. This is original Kawasaki tool stamped R-37.5. It seems to me after measuring the shock that the "Radius" stamp on it is quite a bit too large. I read the "Basin wrench" thread, it works but still not the proper tool for the job. Trying not to destroy my knuckles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 AM

like most tools supplied with bikes or cars they are built to a price
get a proper 'C' spanner and it should be OK

I seem to remember soemone advising to have a towel or rag to protect the cycle parts in case the spanner slips
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 07:02 AM

My wrench did not work.Threw it in the garbage.I am able to use locking pliers"channel locks" without doing any harm.The location of the shock is a joy for making adjustments.Have a great day.

Keith

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:36 AM

I used a grinder and put a notch near the end of my shock tool so it can grab ahold of the shock and not slip off.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Slip a piece of pipe over the end to extend your leverage, and wrap a towel around it. After you adjust it, throw it away, ride to the shop and buy a good one.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I use the included rear shock preload adjusting tool by holding it with my right hand, and with my left hand on the back of it to keep it secure and to have better control... No problems whatsoever.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Are you using the extension tool that comes in the pouch? The tool is too short to get good leverage without it but when I used the extension, it worked fine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faller View Post
Just wondering if any of you have had much sucess adjusting your shock with the hook wrench which came in the tool pouch. The one I have is impossible to use as it slips off the tabs every time I try. This is original Kawasaki tool stamped R-37.5. It seems to me after measuring the shock that the "Radius" stamp on it is quite a bit too large. I read the "Basin wrench" thread, it works but still not the proper tool for the job. Trying not to destroy my knuckles.
Adjust your what? I hate to hijack a thread, but does it really matter to adjust your suspension? I have been riding for a year plus with the settings that my bike left the dealership with. Then again, if the people on this forum think that it is an important thing, I will do it. I have just changed out my tires and now feel invincible regarding "working" on the bike.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Are you using the extension tool that comes in the pouch? The tool is too short to get good leverage without it but when I used the extension, it worked fine.
+1

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I cut the notch like DK35vince suggested, works like a dream now.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Ive used the stock wrench, its not great, but slow steady pressure gets the job done no problem.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Adjust your what? I hate to hijack a thread, but does it really matter to adjust your suspension? I have been riding for a year plus with the settings that my bike left the dealership with. Then again, if the people on this forum think that it is an important thing, I will do it. I have just changed out my tires and now feel invincible regarding "working" on the bike.
Couple of things here: As delivered, the suspension is set up pretty stiff and a rough road is unpleasant, to say the least. And the lowering kit makes the rear stiffer yet. I weigh 180, and backed off both the front and rear. It's a lot more pleasant to ride now.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the tips on the use of a grinder on the shock adjusting tool. Dumb me didn't look at it closly before, but the curve on the inner side of the tool (that fits against the shock adj) was really off. Some judicious grinding reshaped the tool to fit the curve all the way from the "hook" to the handle. Wow, now it works great. Thanks for the heads up.

Frog
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM

Spanner wrench has room for improvement, on the diameter of span. Yes I use the extender. I have not used grinder to notch the end. But solution I use is to place a second tool (Screwdriver) under the HEEL of the Span to raise it off the Shock allowing the hooked end to seat futher into the shock notch.
I too suggest another tool be purchased.
Setup pref. I generally like the stiffer suspension of MID to 1 notch stiffer. (i'm only 180 lbs) BUT the real benifet is to Soften the settings when traveling on Gravel roads. I have several hundreds of miles on this V on the gravel roads, maybe close to 1000 miles. It simply rides Soooooo Muuuuch better with softest rear shock setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode