NFG Seeking advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NFG Seeking advice

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and seeking advice. In fact, I am new to the motorcycling world itself. After reviewing many articles, searching around for bikes, reviewing this forum etc., I am pretty sold on the versys. It seems to me that it will fulfill all my motorcycling desires, which brings me to my first question...Would you recommend this as a beginner bike? I have read many things that say not to go over 600cc, but all of the dealers I have spoken with look at me and say "get something bigger". I am a decent sized guy, about 210lb and 6'2". So reaching the floor on the versys is not a problem. Also, I might be new to the moto world, but I was not born yesterday and realize the upsale factor by dealers. So I am interested in some honest, impartial advice from you all. I would also like some advice on negotiating (what's their typical markup/profit margin in th US), loans, insurance coverage. I realize alot of this is dependent upon personal factors (loans/insurance); I am just looking for the big no-nos. Imagine that you are beginning, but knowing what you know now after years of experience. Kinda like being 18 again!! Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:11 PM

The dealerships are telling you to get something more powerful than the Versys knowing you are a new rider? If this is the case they are only after your money and don’t care to much about you as a human. I think the Versys can make a good first bike for some people. On the flip side of that a Honda Rebel or Ninja 250 make good first bikes, for some people.

If you have worries about the Versys not being powerful enough all I can say is put that worry aside. It has more than enough power to probably outrun any car you have ever owned.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Hi PB&J and welcome to the forum. You sound like a great down to earth thinking guy who is doing this the right way I think. Your doing your homework well!
Me? 55YO and been riding since I was 17, owned 20+ bikes in my time. Is the Versys right for you? I think it could be. Your a good sized guy and should fit on it quite well. It's an easy bike to maneuver and brakes and other controls are very manageable even for someone new to M/C's. Bikes are very subjective though and only you will know what feels best for you.

My suggestion for new riders is to become a VERY DEFENSIVE rider. You are invisible to car drivers, really! You'll see. There's lots of great rider training and safety literature out there to study that will help keep you safe.
As far as price goes it's a lot like buying a car. You might think you have gotten a good discounted price off of MSRP but then the dealer adds all kinds of phony fee's and charges to build their profit back up. Find a good, honest dealer to negotiate with and it will be easier. As far as the Versys goes, search the threads for price and you'll see what we have been paying, then go to the dealer to negotiate. You will have some back-up to negotiate with.

Insurance? Shop and compare. You can look at a number of threads on this forum to see what we're paying around the country too. It's a very reasonable bike to insure being a 650cc. Another reason not to get a bigger first bike.

Loans? I bought my Versys using the bank Kawasaki has do their lending. I put 0 dollars down and had a monthly payment of $60.00! Got it paid for now as I only did that to borrow some time but it was great terms!

Last edited by Versysbob; 09-18-2009 at 01:25 PM.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:30 PM

for what its worth
I passed my UK bike test in Late Jan 2009, done 11,000 miles or so since then on a Versys.

its got enough power to take you to almost anywhere you want to go
the bike doesn't excel at anything in particular, theres lots of bikes which are better in a specific category, but it does do a heck of a lot very very well indeed, its perhaps not the ultimate all rounder but its pretty close except iots not really an off raod bike, fitted with off road tyres it can be an off road bike (sort of)

if out and out speed is your issue, then don't buy a vee
if pose factor is an issue, then don't buy a vee
if you want to go serioulsy off road (read nearly alwasy off road), then don't buy a vee

if you want to commute
if you want to have fund in the twisties
if you want a modern, relatively cheap bike
if you see yourself as not quite fitting one of the easy tick boxes for bike riders
if you want to have fun
...all good reasons to buy a Versys

theres a few problems, but seemingly fewer than many other bikes
..reported rectifier/wiring harness faults, some issues over frame alignment, some problems with build quality and finishing. but you are getting a heck of a lot of bike for what you pay.

theres sufficient bits to tweak the bike to your preferred layout, Id recommend a fender extender and rear hugger and probably engine bars as well, theres other stuff such as Speedy's flatfoot.

theres not a lot fundamentally wrong with the bike, the engine has been around for a while, its slightly detuned compared to the same engine in the ER6. its pretty reliable.

ultimately the right bike for you is out there, but whether thats a Versys, Wee Strom or whatever is up to you. it depends on what brings you to riding, what do you want to do, where do you want to go. if you plan on riding with your mates then I'd suggest it may make sense to get a sort of similar bike to your mates.

dont' discount the likes of the hornet.

I don't know where you are on the bike trail in terms of experience, In the UK you cannot ride a bike over 33kw, roughly 30 BHP, without a full licence or undertaking training. I used to ride bikes in my late teens, early 20's and Im actually glad I didn't pass my test then, Ive learned a lot from taking the tests doing the training and so on. so Im a lot less overconfident than anybody riding from scratch. if you are not taking any training right know then Its possible the Vee may be a bit of a handful.

As I've styled it elsewhere the Vee has enough power to scare but not enough to terrify. it may not be 'the' bike to last you a lifetime, t may be enough to get you over the first year, but its a competent bike, well set up and pretty forgiving without being a wollowing lump of lard.

so If I were you
gets some training (learn by trashing someone elses clutch and if needs be applying war wounds to their bikes, rather than your own).
if you have a choice consider whether to wear the gear (helmet, gloves, boots, jacket & trousers). its one thing to be macho and a rufty tufty I don't need gear because Im a good rider, or I'm baaaaad assed SoB, its another to think in terms of they may well be out there trying to get me. in the UK you have no choice, you have to wear a helmet, having scraped my palms 25 years ago I won't ride without gloves, and at age 49 I won't ride without boots, jacket & trousers.. my choices. personally seeing people riding without gear scares me, but if soemone elses wants to take those risks that their choice.

ultimately only you know what you want to do with your riding, sound people out, but if you can sound out people who are competent that you know. talking to your MSF instructor may well be a good starting point

good luck
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

I should've been more specific about my dealings with the dealers! I was originally looking at things like a Ninja250/500R, Suzuki gs500, and other similar bikes that were recommended for beginners in what I've read. Trust me, I am not concerned at all that the versys is too small or not powerful enough. The more appropriate question is if it is too much for a beginner?!! Or would you recommend something like the others that I mentioned?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM

This question gets asked a lot. I think for some people the V would be a good first bike and not for others, which is what V-bob said. It depends on the person, their confidence, natural ability, and mind set.

I rode dirt bikes for 10 years, took a 20 year break and now have my first street bike, the V. It couldn't have been a better pick for me. The Versys is a good bike, newbie or not.

I'm big on new riders doing some dirt bike riding to learn how to ride. It's not exactly the same but you can learn to ride without having to watch out for cars at the same time. A Kawi 250 induro would be great.

That being said, I think the V is a good first bike. pmac
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

if you want to commute
if you want to have fund in the twisties
if you want a modern, relatively cheap bike
if you see yourself as not quite fitting one of the easy tick boxes for bike riders
if you want to have fun
Added: with a bit of mild off pavement use (I realize the versys cannot cut new trails!)...

This mainly describes what I am looking to do.

Also, I am in MSF training already! May take more training after that. It is not required here in Colorado to get a license, but I am willing/wanting to get all the training and knowledge I can get. Safety is huge to me.

Thanks for the replies.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM

I had your same concerns earlier this year when I was considering the V. At 46 I have ridden some dirt bikes, and this was my first street bike. And my main purpose is to commute. I took the MSF course last April, then found a great deal on the V and bought in June. Since then I have ridden @3500 miles and no regrets at all. I installed a modulating headlight and I only ride with all the gear all the time (I have had road rash before, no fun there!) It is a fun bike! My speed days are long gone, and I have great respect for the throttle, and drive very defensive. It is a great bike for what I need and have really enjoyed it! I consider myself a beginner and for me the V is just right.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard PB&J! There are quite a few members here that have bought the Versys as their first bike. I can't recall any of them saying it was a mistake. And at your size, I think you will regret buying a smaller bike fairly quick. The power is nice, but controllable & user friendly. I wouldn't worry about that at all. GSXR1000RR? Yeah, that MAY be a little too much for a beginner. The Versys, just right...

But truthfully, it's more up to you than any of us. I think the most important question is, do you feel comfortable on it? Everything else will fall into place after that.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Check eBay prices

Check eBay. I have seen brand new 2009 Versys there for as little as $5300.00 out the door.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:16 PM

For a long legged person this is a great first bike. One that you can use and enjoy for many years. You may well never want any other bike...ever! I just sold a ballistic missle (with over 140 horses at the rear wheel) and bought an 09 Versys. Though not as fast, believe me , the Versys is plenty quick. It's EASY to ride, a long of leg ten year old could ride it yet there is plenty there for an experienced rider. I say GO FOR IT. But first buy David Hough's book called "Proficient Motorcycling" (the first book of two) than take a riding course. Remember, you're about to embark on a life long addiction. Do it right.

Last edited by blipco; 09-18-2009 at 04:19 PM.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 PM

I'm as much of a beginner as you can get. I took my new riders course and really learned a lot. My head instructor/friend helped me look at bikes. I was set on a used cbr. Then he said what about a V? I had no idea what it was. I saw it, and loved the sitting position and the fact that it wouldn't be as hard to ride or control as the cbr, he really didn't want me getting a cbr anyways. So after doing my research I went with the V. I'm really glad I did. Being a beginner it was forgiving as I started, and the more I ride, the more fun it gets. Its fast if You want it to be, can carry two people easily, fun in curves, and is really easy to ride I think. I have zero problems with it so far and I'm glad I got it.
32, 6 ft 1, 230. Clean driving record and ins isn't too bad. But I got the super double platinum plan.

Get a V, you want be disappointed.

The only mod I think is a must are the mirror extenders. Best thing I got for the bike besides my trunk case. They really make the mirrors useful and easy to see.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4952

Great deal right here from Zammy!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:02 PM

I'll have my license 1 year tomorrow, no motorcycle experience before that. Started at 51, me and the V. Took the MSF course, I read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling, and recommend it. Have about 5000 miles on now, and I'm very glad I got the V, something I can keep and a bike that does all the stuff I want to do (including forest roads).

Be prepared to spend some money for gear (helmet, jacket, boots, trousers, gloves) this I bought before the bike. Also, the V needed a better seat for me, and I would suggest the engine guards or something, I had a few stationary losses of balance as a new rider.

Be aware of safety, but get ready to have some fun! And don't think you will save much on gas - once I get on the bike, I want to ride the rest of the day! I'm so glad I made a good decision the first time, and I'm happy with all the fun I've had so far, and the fall trip I have planned.

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM

I've done the MSF Experienced Rider Course and I would definitely recommend it.
It's the cheapest most effective education I think I've ever had.

The advice in this thread is pretty much spot-on.
Buy a green one.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 PM

I had a Yamaha 360 enduro back when I was 25 for 2 years. Bought a 09 klx250s last year in Oct. Traded for the larger bike, the V. in the end of July this year. LOVE the Versys!!! I was glad to get my motorcylce legs back after almost 23 years of no riding on a smaller bike, but I truely feel I could of gone right to the V. It is alot more powerful and heavy than the 250, but is very managable and opened my eyes to a new world of riding.
I will probably stick with this bike, I tried the laydown sportbikes and cruisers and even the klr when deciding what to trade up to, but none fit me as well as the V. I quit listening to it talk to me and bought it on the spot. Yea it talked to me every time I walked by it at the dealership......glad I listened!!
Good luck with whatever your choice, welcome aboard and ride safe!!
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 PM

Take a class, buy a beater KLR and ride it until spring. You won't be sorry. Use it to learn on. Dealers are dopes.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM

V was a great 1st for me.....

I took the MSF 3 years ago this past May. Best money I've ever spent on education.

I was unsure what bike to pursue. Many suggested cruiser or small crotch-rocket.

I couldn't stand the seating positions.

Was looking hard at the KLR; salesman asked if I'd ever be on the highway. Saying "yes" to this, he then pulled a Candy Metallic Ornage V out of the line and suggested I sit on it for a while.

The bars were in the right place, I had awesome sight lines as it's got the upright seating position, my feet were under me, and my knees naturally came into the tank.

We had the paper-work complete 1/2 an hour later.

"Ornage" and I have accumulated 30,000 miles over the past three seasons here in Nova Scotia. All have been fun, exhilarating, educational, and fun.

My skills and confidence have improved greatly these past 3 seasons. I still run my "base" run once every week and critique myself quite harshly for any mis-applications of brake, throttle or counter-steer.

I've yet to reach "Ornage's" limits and foresee at least 1 more 10,000 mile season before moving up to a Triumph Tiger.

The V is, IMHO, and incredible first bike. It's very capable and confidence inspiring, and will let you grow your skill set at your pace.

I dropped "Ornage" 4 times my first season, I knew I would! Each scar is a reminder of a lesson learned.

Well have rambled on enough........

BrianBMann
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 AM

One thing to take into consideration is your size, If your big guy over 225lbs you may want to consider the versys over nighthawk or ninja 250. I am 300lbs and i found the night hawk sadly under powered for me
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and seeking advice. In fact, I am new to the motorcycling world itself. After reviewing many articles, searching around for bikes, reviewing this forum etc., I am pretty sold on the versys. It seems to me that it will fulfill all my motorcycling desires, which brings me to my first question...Would you recommend this as a beginner bike? I have read many things that say not to go over 600cc, but all of the dealers I have spoken with look at me and say "get something bigger". I am a decent sized guy, about 210lb and 6'2". So reaching the floor on the versys is not a problem. Also, I might be new to the moto world, but I was not born yesterday and realize the upsale factor by dealers. So I am interested in some honest, impartial advice from you all. I would also like some advice on negotiating (what's their typical markup/profit margin in th US), loans, insurance coverage. I realize alot of this is dependent upon personal factors (loans/insurance); I am just looking for the big no-nos. Imagine that you are beginning, but knowing what you know now after years of experience. Kinda like being 18 again!! Thanks in advance for any info.
Welcome to the motorcycling world! You are wise to ignore the dealer they either try to sell up or unload something that is not selling to customers who are either unprepared or not sure of what they want. I would recommend a 250 of any flavor only to small folks who are not very confident. For these people getting their feet flat on the ground is very important to building confidence and mastering the machine. A good sized guy such as yourself would do well on the Versys and if you do outgrow it it will probably be a couple of years down the road. Good on you for not jumping into a huge cruiser as a first bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode