Anyone have any experience with the Metzeler Tourance Next or Trail Attack 2? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have any experience with the Metzeler Tourance Next or Conti Trail Attack 2?

Trying to decide whether to install sport tour or adv tour tires next tire change. I am really happy with the Michelin PR3 sport tour tires I currently have on after being somewhat disappointed with the Pirelli Scorpion Trails I had installed. The Michelins grip really well on pavement and wear well but it might be nice to have a little more grip for the occasional trip down a hard packed dirt road.

In the Adv Tour (95% paved roads / 5% dirt and gravel roads) category, it seems like there are a lot more choices available in sizes to fit the Versys, since I last checked. There is now the "Metzeler Tourance Next" as well as the "Continental Conti Trail Attack 2" as well as previously available "Pirelli Scorpion" all available in 120/70-17 and 160/60-17 sizes.

In the sport tour category there is the Michelin PR3 and now PR4, as well as the Pirelli Angel GT as well as offerings from every major manufacturer.

Anyone have any experience with the Metzeler Tourance Next or Trail Attack 2?

Last edited by twowheels; 03-16-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't know how they work but I like the looks of the Conti. Maybe you'll have to be the test pilot since these are fairly new offerings in our sizes.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
From the specifications the Mezeler appears to have the edge. It is a dual compound tire while the Conti is a single compound tire.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I know that you're looking at "stock" sizes, but jdrocks and a few others (including me) running the 130/80 Tourance rears on the front can acknowledge the extra protection the larger tire gives to your front wheel when you hit a large rock or hole, at speed. The 130/80 gives you pretty much the same outside diameter as a 120/70 on a 19" rim.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
ContiTrailAttack2 with MultiGrip:

Makes it possible to use an homogeneous grip grading with a single compound thanks to a temperature controlled curing of the tire during the production process.

•Shoulder area, flexible → Grip
•Zenith area, wear resistant → Mileage
•Continuous transition

http://www.conti-online.com/www/moto...tack_2_en.html
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I know that you're looking at "stock" sizes, but jdrocks and a few others (including me) running the 130/80 Tourance rears on the front can acknowledge the extra protection the larger tire gives to your front wheel when you hit a large rock or hole, at speed. The 130/80 gives you pretty much the same outside diameter as a 120/70 on a 19" rim.
Trying to stay with stock tire sizes as I do the majority of my riding on pavement and want to maintain optimum handling and steering feel. Also as mentioned there are lots of dual sport tires available in stock sizes for the Versys now, not just the two listed here, which there were not, only a few years back, when JD Rocks constructed his home built adventure bike from Versys and Ninja parts.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-17-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 PM

There is a LONG review of the original Trail Attacks over in Advrider. Basically a ride report through a year of riding on them. I'll be mounting those or PR4s soon...when I can make up my mind or find a sale.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Been doing more research. Results from Motorad test of dual sport Adv. Tour tires. All these tires make some compromise in pavement grip and life compared to sport tour tires though so may stick with sport tour tires.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-19-2014 at 06:09 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 AM

I have a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail (for the KLR) and Michelin Pilot Road 4 (for the Versys) sittin' in the garage. Both will do O.K. 90/10. I have heard some good about Pirelli Angel.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM

I was also looking at Scorpion trail and Tourance, but supplier is hard to find from my side of the planet. So I ended up with the only off-the-shelf tires I can buy, here's what 120/90 front (sidewall says TUBE but I installed tubeless) and 150/70 rear looks like:

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pirelli Angel GT gets nod for top sport touring tire

https://motorsportsnewswire.wordpres...g-tyre-529131/
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Trying to decide whether to install sport tour or adv tour tires next tire change. I am really happy with the Michelin PR3 sport tour tires I currently have on after being somewhat disappointed with the Pirelli Scorpion Trails I had installed.]
Like all tire threads here, you will get a million opinions.

I am curious as to why you don't like the Scorpion Trails. I rolled one on the rear last year, to basically get me through the rest of the season. I really like riding traffic circles and exit ramps and how you could roll on the throttle a tad earlier with the dual compound Scorpion Trail than the old "hard" stock Dunlops. Yes, it was new and the stockers were old, but they seemed so planted in comparison. I like them so much, I think I will try the front, and I will have a hard time putting something else out back when this one dies.

Cheers.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The trails are not dual compound

Only got about 5000 km out of front tire and not much more out of rear. Mich pr3 just feel more planted and secure in corners and brake better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I know the question was NOT about the older Tourance tires, but my AZ V's 130/80 on the front has 17,700 miles on it and looks to not even be half gone (the LAST rear 150/70 had 14,126 miles on when I changed it).

Not much in the way of "chicken strips" on either tire. Bike's a BIT dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02867.jpg (64.1 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02868.jpg (65.9 KB, 704 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The trails are not dual compound

Only got about 5000 km out of front tire and not much more out of rear. Mich pr3 just feel more planted and secure in corners and brake better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Again, the Trails are dual compound. They may be softer and, as a result, more sticky and wear out faster, But the rear is dual compound.

http://cycleguidemagazine.blogspot.c...ion-trail.html
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My rear Trail Attack 150/70 has been outstanding, and it might be worn enough to replace it by end of season with about 13k miles on it.

Rear Trail Attack 2 is now available in 160/60, as is a front 120/70.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...rear-tire.html
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
My rear Trail Attack 150/70 has been outstanding, and it might be worn enough to replace it by end of season with about 13k miles on it.

Rear Trail Attack 2 is now available in 160/60, as is a front 120/70.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/cont...rear-tire.html
I am considering the Cont trail attack 2, front & rear for my 09'. Would the rear 150/70 work on my year bike ya think?
I ride mostly street, but when I get on the dirt & in the wet, I'd like to be confident. I'm currently on Avon Distanzia tires, and lasted about 6,000 mi. I did like them very much, just would like a tire that will last a bit longer.

Last edited by RIKawiGrl; 06-26-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode