Mirrors... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirrors...

Ok... I'm missing something. I cannot get the mirror to tighten AND be in the correct position.... can someone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 AM

As far as tightning, one word - Loctite -

For adjustment, when you remove the mirror, there is an adjustment nut inside at the bottom of the mirror. You need to loosened this nut adjust your mirror and re-tightened the nut. This is a trial and error to get the right position by the way.

You might also need to go to mirror extender as many of us have done.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
As far as tightning, one word - Loctite -

For adjustment, when you remove the mirror, there is an adjustment nut inside at the bottom of the mirror. You need to loosened this nut adjust your mirror and re-tightened the nut. This is a trial and error to get the right position by the way.

You might also need to go to mirror extender as many of us have done.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, I didn't even think to take it off to adjust it... Where did you get the extenders?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Got mine from twisted throttle, but Speedy (a member on this site) offers a set that look as good and are far less expensive.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 PM

You shouldn't have to buy $70 mirror extenders to make a $10 mirror work on a $6800 bike.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 PM

It's only money!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 AM

I took off the stock mirrors and put on the bar end mirrors. now I can see behind me.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
It's only money!
Even if money was irrelevant to you, this kind of shenanigans would never fly in the automotive industry, and shouldn't fly in the motorcycle industry.

I work in the auto industry, and had a brief stint as a quality engineer. I've personally witnessed thousands of parts scrapped for minor cosmetic reasons, but to see something like this hit the final customer (me) horrifies me. A mirror, like it or not, is a piece of safety equipment on a motorcycle. The mirror can't function if it points straight at your chest when screwed in, period. Now, this could be a dealer screwup, it could be a manufacturing defect... I don't know, and I don't really care. I'm not the only one out there who has had to deal with it. Even if it is a ten minute rework, it still should never have made it into a dealership and sold as is.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 AM

I agree about the mirrors.Should have never left the factory like that.Don't they test ride any of these bikes before turning them loose on the public?Other than the mirrors,I love this bike.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM

I, of course, have the same problem and searched the forums here for a solution. The advice is all good but I tried a different route for the time being. What I did was to take off the mirrors remove the nut, washers and the cap that screws onto the handle bars. I then took one of the black washers and slid it on the mirror stem first then put the cap and rest of the washers back on with the nut. It raised the mirrors up enough that I can now see behind me. I am sure there are better mods but that only took me 5 mins.

Last edited by thegrandwazoo; 06-20-2008 at 11:44 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 PM

I guess being a short guy has its perks in this situation. I took my mirrors off and adjusted the nut to tighten it down properly. I now have the stock mirrors angled well and I can see behind me perfectly on both sides.

I guess also I look at it differently as coming off a sportbike whose mirrors were utterly useless, these seem like I'm getting a grand view of everything.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:52 PM

The trick I found with the mirrors is only turn them clockwise, if when you have it tightened down and the mirror is too close to you, continue to turn clockwise to the correct position. If you go counterclockwise the mirror just loosens. The mirrror shaft still turns when the top nut hits the bottom. The nut/screw on the bottom needs to be tightened a little also. I am not sure but I think these are off road mirrors designed to turn when you hit things. The V mirrors are not great but are functional. I am goung to guess that bigger guys dont see much behind them on the right side.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVcaster View Post
The trick I found with the mirrors is only turn them clockwise, if when you have it tightened down and the mirror is too close to you, continue to turn clockwise to the correct position. If you go counterclockwise the mirror just loosens. The mirrror shaft still turns when the top nut hits the bottom. The nut/screw on the bottom needs to be tightened a little also.
I did this before taking the mirror off - worked just fine until I went over 45 mph...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM

I'm looking for advise or comments on mirror issue. I have a 2007 Cdn version and recently my LH mirror became loose and arm turns. I removed the mirror from handlebar mount, turned upside down, inside the metal sleeve adapter found the 10mm nut to tighten. Overtightened and snapped the bolt off so now I don't have enough threads left to install the nut properly and secure the arm. Reading other posts about installations and fixes got me thinking...Is it possible that the mirror mounts on 2007 bike is different than the 2008. Mine doesn't have a rubber sleeve covering the mount, but has a metal sleeve with inside threads and outside rounded hex nut like. When you remove this fitting and mirror assembly what remains on the handlebar is a male threaded silver colored base. Do you guys have this setup? Most aftermarket mirrors come standard with a 10mm male thread at end of the arm to screw into a handlebar mount. Problem is my V doesn't appear to have this. I'll probably have to get an OEM replacement LH mirror of go the bar end option.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Have you tried to cut more threads up the 'arm'?
Ed
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Good suggestion fasteddiecopemen. Could be the least expensive solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode