Chain oiler - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain oiler

Does anyone use a chain oiler system? I would like to give one a try. I think I will go with the Scottoiler sold by Twisted Throttle, but would be open to your suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM

That's what I have. Went with the V system with dual injector. Very simple install. Be careful to check for swing arm clearance with the reservior.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM

I've had a PD Oiler on my Versys for awhile.

Easy install, and it saves on maintenance vs clean and lube every 400-500 miles.

The bike will get oily though--your chain gets "cleaned" by slinging dirty oil. And chain maintenance isn't an either-or between automatic oiler or 400-500mile clean & lube. There are other methods that require very little work that seem to work well for some.

Anyway I don't know if installing an oiler is really worth it. If your alternative is 400 mile clean/lube intervals, then yes it is.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
GDI

I wouldn't be without my Loobman. The Loobman works by giving a pump before you start riding. The oil slowly works it's way down through the tubing as you're riding. No expensive metering technology or special oils here. It's not for everyone though. I'm glad to have black wheels, frame, kickstand, etc. as it is kind of messy. I s'pose others might be able to control the amount they apply better than I do though. I like to know that there's plenty of lubrication!

I made a holder for the Loobman oil reservoir when I bought it:

I recently made a replacement oil delivery system for the sprocket end. The Loobman delivery end is kind of cheesy. Here's a pic of mine when I removed it after it had been in place for 2 seasons:

Here's what I made to replace it:

The riding season has started here yet, so I haven't been able to try it out yet. I'm hoping that won't be as messy as the stock item.

GDI
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=GDI;547041]I wouldn't be without my Loobman. The Loobman works by giving a pump before you start riding. The oil slowly works it's way down through the tubing as you're riding. No expensive metering technology or special oils here. It's not for everyone though. I'm glad to have black wheels, frame, kickstand, etc. as it is kind of messy. I s'pose others might be able to control the amount they apply better than I do though. I like to know that there's plenty of lubrication!

I made a holder for the Loobman oil reservoir when I bought it:

Very cool set up. So your a machinist?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Interesting!

I have Loobman and I'm very happy with it (result)
but I agree, the delivery system on the sprocket needs to be improved....

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I bought a Pro-Oiler even before buying my bike!

It is a bit costly, harder to install due to the electrics, but in my eyes it really is a set and forget system with full control of oil delivery. It is also a more compact/hidden solution to the Scottoiler-E.

The Pro-Oiler System delivers oil according to your speed. The faster you go the more oil you have to apply - and the Pro-Oiler does this for you from calcutaion tables in the electronic brain.

The Vacuum based systems apply oil all the time even when sitting at lights and in traffic.

Similarly, the Gravity Based system rely on you turning it on and off.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM

Hi GDI,

I found your photos with the 3D for the Loobman.
Very nice, I'll try to 3D print something in plastic to replace the delivery system..

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Garage
I had a Loobman and the delivery system at the end just split and the oil was dispersing at the fork rather than the tip. Really hopeless system.

Then decided to change to ScottOiler and never looked back since.

GDI ( Global Defense Initiative ) ???..Sorry, reminds me of Command and Conquer. Nice metal work there. Envy your skill in metal fabrication.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

Sure do like the feedback. I think I will go with the Scottoiler system. It is electronic and will only feed while bike is moving, plus the wife gave me extra toy money.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM
GDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Very cool set up. So your a machinist?
No, that's my hobby. Computer programming pays the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Hi GDI,

I found your photos with the 3D for the Loobman.
Very nice, I'll try to 3D print something in plastic to replace the delivery system..
You're welcome to use/modify the drawing. If you're printing it, the design could be made simpler. The top screw hole holds the zip-tie in place, the bottom screw is just to plug the hole that routes the oil to the zip-tie. That wouldn't be needed, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I had a Loobman and the delivery system at the end just split and the oil was dispersing at the fork rather than the tip. Really hopeless system.

Then decided to change to ScottOiler and never looked back since.

GDI ( Global Defense Initiative ) ???..Sorry, reminds me of Command and Conquer. Nice metal work there. Envy your skill in metal fabrication.
Yeah, it worked sort of OK, until the supplied zip-tie needed replacing. I couldn't get the replacement to hold the split together properly, so it got even messier than it had been. . . .

Nah--GDI is "GD-Damned Independent"! Thanks--the metal-working is a great off-season hobby.

GDI
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM

I had a DIY'ed lube system but abandoned it as the oil of choice was just attracting too much dirt. (ATF + 80w90 gear oil). The dirt is not easy to get rid off. Weighing in the amount of work to keep the bike clean, it is better to use the aerosol chain lubes. The labor put into lubing the chain is a good one versus cleaning up the mess.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 AM

I use a "Cameleon" Chain Lube - from Canada.
You can program the amount of oil dispensed, and not much sling-off. Using their synthetic 'sticky' oil.
Main reason for use is during/after riding through storms, chain gets dry real quick.
Now 28,000 km on original chain, only gets adjusted on tyre changes!

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 AM

I have automatic willions has a dosage for rain and one for dry, autonomy is 4000 km, installation is easy and the drop point is in front sprocket, used oil that keeps dirt and stick my chain takes 52000 km and is half the marks. http://www.willionssas.com/gal_wlube.html

The gray-haired bikers do not get to that age of pure luck
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
You're welcome to use/modify the drawing. If you're printing it, the design could be made simpler. The top screw hole holds the zip-tie in place, the bottom screw is just to plug the hole that routes the oil to the zip-tie. That wouldn't be needed, right?
GDI
Thanks! Yes, some holes are not necessary when printing in plastic..
and it will keep the oil going where it needs to go...
I'm just looking for a way to position it without the zip-tie on the swing arm...

Versys 2015 Green
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Thanks! Yes, some holes are not necessary when printing in plastic..
and it will keep the oil going where it needs to go...
I'm just looking for a way to position it without the zip-tie on the swing arm...

My Pro-Oiler is mounted to the underside of the swing arm.
The Delivery system is mounted on a S/Steel bracket bolted to the inside of the swing arm using a longer bolt and nut for the Spool/Bobbin Pickup.
Oil line attached to bottom of swing arm using stick on clips and some duck tape.
(The clips do hold the tube too well - but tube can still slide in the clips so duck tape is used to stop the tube sliding and altering the angle of the delivery nozzles on the rear sprocket)
It's Tiny compared to GDI's system above and Completely Hidden.

Last edited by Gigitt; 03-17-2014 at 05:20 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 05:32 PM

Do you have some pictures?

Versys 2015 Green
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93TigerBill View Post
I use a "Cameleon" Chain Lube - from Canada.
You can program the amount of oil dispensed, and not much sling-off. Using their synthetic 'sticky' oil.
Main reason for use is during/after riding through storms, chain gets dry real quick.
Now 28,000 km on original chain, only gets adjusted on tyre changes!
I just got this on Amazon with the synthetic chain lube. I almost got a cheaper one, but it had replaceable felt pads that wore immediately and used regular oil (protect the chain's x-rings!) I will report back for sure. I like the simplicity and control and (relative) price point. I won't mind replacing special oil for my chain, and it will be much easier to remember by visual supervisory control.

http://www.amazon.com/Cameleon-Chain.../dp/B00G6RLRJY
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 12:24 PM

Garage
Sorry if I'm jacking a bit

Web Bike World have tested this product

Cobrra Nemo 2 Chain Oiler Review - webBikeWorld

Seems to me to be well made, simple and not too expensive

My 2 cents

LOP
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 02:35 PM

FWIW I just got a Nemo 2 chain oiler and installed it for my current road trip. 1500 miles in and I'm happy with the purchase. Install was easy and the recommended tranny oil is cheap. After a few trial positions the tube outlet is right in front of where the rear sprocket meets the chain, off-centered which I think is where the instructions depict the placement. I have only been using it at the end of the day, doing super slow laps around hotel lots, under 10mph gives almost zero flinging of oil and gunk, my tests at road speeds made a mess.

Curious if this low speed, once a day technique is sufficient to keep a chain alive long term. Doing 300-500 miles a day for 1500 miles so far and the chain almost needs an adjustment, but it's still very new. Left CO with 650 miles on the bike and am over 2100 right now.

Also to anyone who gets one, be sure to fill it properly. Initially I just filled the little cup, put the lid on and turned the whole apparatus counterclockwise to reset it. This is wrong and resulted in leaking and a big mess. The proper way is to keep adding lube oil WHILE turning the unit to reset it. Then putting the cap on only when it's been turned fully counterclockwise and full of oil. This process was only clear after watching a YT video which helped interpretet the pictorial instructions included with the kit, which could be better imo.

The actual product seems very well made, and after filling it properly it has not leaked at all. I was worried hitting 10,000 ft then heading to sea level would cause problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode