So... about last night. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So... about last night.

Sitting at a red light all by myself on my V, 8:30pm. I hear screeching brakes behind me. I look in my mirror and see a big ol' Jeep Cherokee barreling down on me with brakes locked and smoke rolling out form the tires. Some bozo not paying attention to conditions ahead of him didn't notice the light was red and that I was sitting at it, until too late.

I had a split second to react. My brain registered that there was cross traffic and I shouldn't dart out into it. I froze... locked up.. clinched up... hunched up... and prepared to meet my maker all in a half second.

The jeep came to rest just touching my back tire.

Thought about getting off the bike and giving the guy an earful, but the fact of the matter was I was shaking so hard I probably would have dropped the bike.

Light turned green... I sped off.

1 block later an oncoming car turned right in front of me forcing me to lock up my brakes and slide sideways. I spent the next 2 miles home shaking like a leaf, parked the bike in the garage, and shakily went inside.

Wife asked me what was wrong, I made her promise to not say a word about me selling the bike (because I wasn't going to), before I told her the story.

Lesson to learn:

It has just now started to warm up. The cagers aren't used to us motorcyclist being back out in the world (even though I ride most of the winter).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
From november to march I hear on a regular basis "I didn't expect to see you out here"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Glad you're ok! Yep, riders are starting to come out of the woodwork and it'll take a bit for the drivers to adjust. I feel for the occasional bicyclist I see on the road.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sitting at a red light all by myself on my V, 8:30pm. I hear screeching brakes behind me. I look in my mirror and see a big ol' Jeep Cherokee barreling down on me with brakes locked and smoke rolling out form the tires. Some bozo not paying attention to conditions ahead of him didn't notice the light was red and that I was sitting at it, until too late.

Something just like that happened to me. So i got the Admore Light Kit for my Topcase & Admore Light Bar. If i was going to continue to ride i wanted to make myself more visible from behind.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMxj...z6TP_jceSpVqPL
Just ordered a new light bar for the FJR.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

Something just like that happened to me. So i got the Admore Light Kit for my Topcase & Admore Light Bar. If i was going to continue to ride i wanted to make myself more visible from behind.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMxj...z6TP_jceSpVqPL
Just ordered a new light bar for the FJR.

I don't have the admore, but I do have the backoff XL with flashing brake light, multiple reflective strips all over facing backwards, a reflect jacket, and even a flashing LED in my helmet. This dude just plain didn't even see the traffic light was red.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
MTS

Some of you might remember last summer my neighbor was killed hit from behind on his Harley.

Wejo and some other had just gone Hi-Vis so I joined in!

It helps but in some cases they don't see you. Let's face it some will run into the back of a Semi.

The last wreck I was in totalled my suv. I was at a stop sign screeming at the car coming at me from the left at an intersection with no driver!

I told the police I saw no driver? He said the lady admitted her head was under the dash trying to pick up a cartoon her son had done, she was reading and dropped it while driving! WTF! $11,000.00 in damages!

Glad you are ok Zatx! We all can learn from this!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 03-12-2014 at 02:25 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The average driver is so tuned out of their environment (music, kids, phone, texting, eating, reading the paper, self absorbed.....just plain stupid) today. The only way to survive is to assume you aren't in their world. Although I try to maintain one plane of existence for the whole day; people claim I came out of nowhere.
jmo
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 04:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. Glad your OK!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM

eesh, damn man, nerve wracking. Good to hear you didn't get launched at the stop light. I've been riding ALL winter and have wondered about people in sub freezing temperatures looking at me wondering about my intentions, almost like they didn't think I was actually there at the stoplight. Oy, I gotta say though, these warmer temps are so much easier to ride in.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM

One more advantage of year round motorcycle conditions in Florida... Now all I need is a curve or two and maybe a hill or three. Glad you survived!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Lesson to learn:

It has just now started to warm up. The cagers aren't used to us motorcyclist being back out in the world.
I was thinking exactly this as I read your story. There have been a few bikes out around here on the nice couple days we had (before last night's snowfall) and folks just aren't ready to see them. Drivers are bad enough in the heart of the season, but they're extra clueless right now!

Always trust your cape.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Always watch those mirrors. There should be no "suddenly this vehicle appeared behind me".
Leave yourself an out, don't pull all the way up to the line, leave enough room in front of you to move if you need to.
Blink your brake lights when sitting still at a light and a vehicle is coming up behind you.
Don't come to a complete stop if you can avoid it. Try to time the lights by slowing down faaar in advance so you either won't need to come to a stop or at least it will slow down the vehicles coming up behind you.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM

I always maintain a watch, bike in gear and an eye on the mirror. Until I get a car behind me as a blocker that is, then I relax. Last week I got hit by my blocker! Well, tapped is more like it, didn't knock me down and no damage. I got off the bike and looked and really gave the guy a look but he was very apologetic. Car just crept forward on the brakes as he looked at his phone, no doubt.
Glad you're OK!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Cagers, what can we do?

I had a similar situation occur to me and do not recommend what I am about to tell you as a course of action. I was pulling out from a T intersection. I had a yellow helmet and distress yellow Olympia jacket on. This guy cut over into my lane making a erformance turn" if you will. Stupidly I chased the guy down. I stayed on my bike and gave the guy an ear full. He said I was being an "harassing driver". We both called the cops. The deputy showed up on a motorcycle and listened to both sides of our story. He told the guy he could either apologize or take a ride in the back of his car. I know I got some satisfaction out of it, but it could have turned out very differently.

Cheers!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Always watch those mirrors. There should be no "suddenly this vehicle appeared behind me".
Leave yourself an out, don't pull all the way up to the line, leave enough room in front of you to move if you need to.
Blink your brake lights when sitting still at a light and a vehicle is coming up behind you.
Don't come to a complete stop if you can avoid it. Try to time the lights by slowing down faaar in advance so you either won't need to come to a stop or at least it will slow down the vehicles coming up behind you.

Yep.. I did and do all of the above. The problem was his lights were off at 9pm at night!

I also always run through this scenario... I'm always looking for an escape path.. always looking for my out. But until you actually have this happen to you in that split second you never really know what you are going to do.

They also teach you if you're robbed to cooperate with the person robbing you to avoid becoming a corpse... I once was robbed at gunpoint.. as the guy's gun was coming out I instinctively punched him in the face in that split second without thinking... knocked him out cold and held him at gunpoint (with his own gun) till the cops got there.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 PM

What a story. We all know there are variables we cannot control. Simple as that. Put all the ones in your favor that you can, and hope for the best. Consolation is that the same is true in life. I continue to believe riding my motorcycle through downtown Seattle and on I5 seems less dangerous to me than riding my bicycle.

I'm lucky that here in the PNW, and especially around Bainbridge Island where I live, there is a critical mass of people who ride their bikes every day year round. Every ferry you get on will have a handful of bikes, and during commute hours, it is not surprising to have 20 or more bikes. So no one around Seattle should be "surprised" to see us.

And having just been in Tucson, it is interesting to note the differences among riders in different geographic areas. In Tucson, everyone seemed to ride choppers and cruisers. And did so without helmets or any gear on. Here in Seattle, most folks ride dual sports or sportbikes, with BMW being the most common and the 1200GS being like a dime a dozen. And almost everyone wears ATGATT. Part of this is economics, but part of this is climate and culture.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
...And almost everyone wears ATGATT. Part of this is economics, but part of this is climate and culture.
AND - smarts!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
And having just been in Tucson, it is interesting to note the differences among riders in different geographic areas. In Tucson, everyone seemed to ride choppers and cruisers. And did so without helmets or any gear on. Here in Seattle, most folks ride dual sports or sportbikes, with BMW being the most common and the 1200GS being like a dime a dozen. And almost everyone wears ATGATT. Part of this is economics, but part of this is climate and culture.
I live in an area where cruisers are much more prevalent than anything else. There are a number of sport bikes but almost no adventure or sport touring bikes. PA is a helmet optional state, out of every 10 bikes I pass probably half aren't wearing a helmet, 4 will have half helmets and one will have a FF helmet. Just an observation, I don't judge because it's not my head.
These are fair weather observations because I don't see enough foul (fowl?) weather riders around here to make any kind of comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode