Does anyone use Ram Mounts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone use Ram Mounts

Was looking into getting a ram mount for my Iphone and was curious if any one had any pics of their ram mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 PM

I have a RAM mount that I use for my GPS. The reason I used it is because I wanted to use the same GPS that I had for my car, which is a Garmin Nuvi 350. The antenna on this unit flips up from the back. I can adjust the RAM mount so it's sticks out away from the screen. Here is a picture of the mount and one of the bike with the GPS on it. I'll try to get a closer one with the GPS on it tomorrow.

Dave

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM

I have a Ram mount for my Nuvi 200w (also used in my truck) and it's mounted on the handlebar right beside the top clamp. I'm very happy with the setup, it's very secure. Sorry, I don't have pics right now. I got the mount from Cycle Gadgets.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 03:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
I have a setup similar to this that I mount a camcorder to and it works great. highly recommended
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM

Here are a few more pictures of my set up. I do get a little vibration with the GPS mounted this way. But so far I've had no problems with it. Dave

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Ok gang I guess I'm fealing a little grouchy today but what's the deal? Why all these distracting gadgets? What happened to the sound of the wind and the 650 twin winding up and down? Concentrating on the the changes in the road. Hell I leave my dang phone in the tail bag. Why a GPS? What happened to just striking out? Pick a Hwy ang go. Don't know where your at, great! ride till you figure it out. I'm sorry but that rig doesn't even look good on the V. Use that money for some performance stuff. Make it go faster so you can get farther away form the Cityots quicker. No offence but basic up dudes. Saddle bags, tail bag, tank bag, full tank of gas haul ass.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesurfer View Post
Ok gang I guess I'm fealing a little grouchy today but what's the deal? Why all these distracting gadgets? What happened to the sound of the wind and the 650 twin winding up and down? Concentrating on the the changes in the road. Hell I leave my dang phone in the tail bag. Why a GPS? What happened to just striking out? Pick a Hwy ang go. Don't know where your at, great! ride till you figure it out. I'm sorry but that rig doesn't even look good on the V. Use that money for some performance stuff. Make it go faster so you can get farther away form the Cityots quicker. No offence but basic up dudes. Saddle bags, tail bag, tank bag, full tank of gas haul ass.
Finally, a kindred spirit!

I've been riding for about 50 years now, and it's never gotten so boring that I felt I needed any outside stimulation. I have a cell phone for one reason, and that's to be able to get help if I should need it. Very few people know my number, and I'm on the cheapest contract I can get. I carry a netbook in the tailbag with a gps enabled map program, and can stop and work out a route if I absolutely need to. I don't need music or news or any other distractions while riding.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM

I have a bar mount from Ram to use my 2610. I have used it on several bikes over the last few years starting with a GPS V. It also doubles as a camera mount.

Do you Luddites ever resort to maps?

I like the fact that I can mark where I am staying, ride back roads to my hearts content in a strange place without fear on getting lost, I just tell the GPS to get me back to where ever I am staying. I have detailed back road maps for anywhere in the country, with directions to the nearest gas and food.

God forbid it ever happens, but if I ever need it, I can phone my exact coordinates in to emergency personnel in the event of an emergency. Beats the hell out of "I'm not quite sure of the name of the road I am on."

It is a tool, not a crutch or amusement device for me.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:21 PM

What we've been doing is trailering the bike to a big national forest. I take my wife, my daughter and our dog. When I unload the bike I set the position of the car in the GPS. We decide how long we want to ride. My daughter and the dog go hiking. My wife and I get on the bike and explore and get lost. After so much time I hook up the GPS so we can get back to the car. With out it I would still be lost. I guess it's not for everyone, but we enjoy it.

Dave
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:57 PM

I use a ram mount on all my bikes to I can move my 2730 from bike to bike with ease.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55wed55 View Post
I have a RAM mount that I use for my GPS. The reason I used it is because I wanted to use the same GPS that I had for my car, which is a Garmin Nuvi 350. The antenna on this unit flips up from the back. I can adjust the RAM mount so it's sticks out away from the screen. Here is a picture of the mount and one of the bike with the GPS on it. I'll try to get a closer one with the GPS on it tomorrow.

Dave

What is the plate you have the 1 inch ball attached to?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Get a horse if you're gonna complain about technology.
Quote:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:48 AM

I have used RAM mounts for years. I have a Ball-end bar-clamp on the bike and a ball mount screwed to the car "dashboard" so I can swap between the 2.
Brilliant things and tough as old boots. You can set the GPS to any angle for avoiding reflections and glare.
Ted.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatrat View Post
Get a horse if you're gonna complain about technology.
Dude not complaining just don't understand the need for all that gear. I'm just old school I guess. Would love to have a horse but the Vs much funner!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dude not complaining just don't understand the need for all that gear. I'm just old school I guess. Would love to have a horse but the Vs much funner!

Need doesn't enter the picture, my friend. It's all about want...

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 PM

LUDDITES UNITE!!

If the rest of you don't get it.....Well....You don't get it, and probably never will. I actually feel sorry for you...Not!

I live in my own little world, anyway, and I guarantee I'll see you coming before you see me, and that's the whole point.

'Nuff said
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 PM

VZEE
It's one thing to see me coming it's another to catch me.
Nuff said
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 AM

The main advantage of a GPS to me is not having to look at street signs at intersections.
I've had a few close calls trying to figure out if the intersection coming up was State Road X or Highway Y and being too distracted to notice some other hazard.
Now when I get to an intersection I already know where I need to go because I checked miles ago while everyone was moving in a straight line.

I leave it off most of the time because it can be distracting but it comes on at the touch of a button so I can quickly check the distance to the next turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode