muffler leak - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
muffler leak

I have a leak on the bottom back portion of the exhaust cannister.You can hear it and feel the air on your hand.I think it's at the weld.Going to dealer tommorrow.I haven't hit anything I'm aware of and haven't gone off pavement.Under 4k and less than 3 months old.I have outstanding dealer support so I don't have to worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Could it be just the water drain hole?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

It is a drain hole.This is my first muffler that has a built in air leak.Is this normal?I may be learning something new.have a great day

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

My kawasaki dealer thinks the drain hole on the muffler does leak exhaust air,He has a call into kawasaki to verify.Does anyone know if this is correct?thanks.

Keith
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:00 AM

The muffler drain hole is in fact also a path to the inner muffler where pressurized exhaust gasses are released, as well as accumulated water which is a normal by-product of gasoline combustion.

Last edited by invader; 09-12-2009 at 12:29 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=invader;51471]The muffler drain hole is in fact also a path to the inner muffler where pressurized exhaust gasses are released, as well as accumulated water which is a normal by-product of gasoline combustion.[/QUOTE

It is normal for exhaust air to come out of this hole?The hole is there so water will have a place to drain?I want to make sure that it is normal to have exhuast air coming out of this hole.I have never seen another muffler on any kind of gasoline vehickle that had a drain hole that released exhaust air.Have a great day to all.

Keith
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it is normal. If water can leave the hole, exhaust will also leave the hole. The exhaust gas helps push the moisture out.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Am I the only one who is bothered by an exhaust hole ?Are there other vehicles on the road that have this feature?The funny part is I did not hear this air escaping until I had the bike for a few months.I,m almost sure that this hole was plugged up when I bought the bike.I,m behind the times for sure.have a great day.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

You can hear it? How about a picture of the hole. My DRZ had a drain hole as well. I'm sure there are plenty that do. But maybe you have something else going on. Does the hole look machined, like it's supposed to be there?

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Yeah, well said Bear... All car and truck mufflers also have a water drain hole, where some exhaust gas pulses do inevitably escape. But if the hole doesn't look right, I'd like to see a pic of it too.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

The hole(maybe 3mm perfectly round) looks like it is supposed to be there.Some new v bikes I looked have the same hole but I can't hear them run..A few days ago I started my bike and heard an exhaust leak.When I held my hand under the muffler I could feel air escaping.I can put my finger over the hole and the sound stops,so I know this is the source of the leak sound.It's not very loud.I still don't understand why I did not hear this beforeThis is my first bike that has a hole in the muffler that exhaust air comes out.I ride daily.I took the bike to the dealer and he also heard the leak when the bike was started.A call was put into kawaski,but no reply yet.I have a feeling I am not up to date.I've seen plenty of bikes spit steam and mist when started,I understand the theory of why the hole may be there.MY old school thinking is exhaust leaks are bad.If all versys blow air from the hole then I don't have anything to be concerned with and I need to learn something new.

Keith
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

And be thankful your hearing is so good!

If it were me, I would carefully inspect around the exhaust joints to make sure nothing is loose. If I found nothing, other than the weep hole, I'd ride it without a second thought.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

So all V's blow exhaust out the weep hole?I wasn't sure if there was an outer casing,or that this hole was in fact going into the muffler itself.My first bike with a purpose made hole in it's muffler.

Last edited by keith; 09-13-2009 at 09:50 AM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

I plugged the little hole,water vapor is just going to have to use the big hole.Sounds much better and I am not so fixated over a tiny exhaust leak.

Keith
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

What did you plug it with?

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:30 AM

The internals are not all made of stainless steel. With the drain hole plugged, water will accumulate within, and your muffler/catalytic converter won't last long...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vmuff.jpg (149.5 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by invader; 09-14-2009 at 12:36 AM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I'll take the chance that heat will turn any water into steam.That is a good picture of muffler internals.My original guess was that the hole was in a confined area of the muffler case that did not have exhaust flow but was subject to water collecting.The exhaust was blowing out the hole because something was wrong.But since everyone else can feel air blowing out of the hole I see that I'm wrong.The hole is in the baffle area where the gasses are flowing.Every Versys does blow air out of this hole?..This question I haven't seen answered,I assume it does?..Thanks to all for input.

I used high temp silicone.Don't know how long it'll last but I will hear it when it falls out.

keith

Last edited by keith; 09-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

I meant to check mine today, but forgot. I'll go look here in a bit...

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 AM

another great reason to get an Arrow can.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
I meant to check mine today, but forgot. I'll go look here in a bit...
Ok, mine has the hole & it does blow exhaust. I can't see how you can hear it, though. I put my head right next to it & can't hear it, the exhaust & motor noise drown it out completely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode