Why insurance??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Why insurance???

Please read this with an open mind: Some of you might remember a post I made in December 2008 about a buddy's crash of his Bandit sidecar rig in Arizona (with my wife in the sidecar!), when a car (driver texting?) swerved into him. He broke BOTH fibulas and tibias, BOTH ankles, crushed his left knee and right foot, broke ribs (punctured and collapsed a lung) and lacerated his kidney. Hospitalized for MONTHS!

The jerk who hit him had only $15,000 of insurance, so Joe got royally screwed - his medical and hospital bills came to $182,000!!!

On the December post I begged you all to ride ATGATT. On THIS post I'm begging you to ensure you are carrying enough insurance to cover something unforseen!

Ed

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-09-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I thought Canada had a national health system that took care of everyone. Or was it in AZ?

Regardless, I'd have sued the SOB and then dragged him back into court yearly until I got enough money to satisfy the judgment. I'm surprised that any state allows that little insurance to be carried. Some states will seize all of a persons licenses until they pay up.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

Last edited by ttpete; 09-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

ttpete,

Sue yearly... and make some "bottom-feeding", "scum-sucking" lawyer RICH!

Ed

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Anybody who rides a motorcycle should have:
1. Health insurance
2. Disability insurance
3. Life insurance (if any dependents)

Anybody who chooses to ride a cycle without these coverages is taking the risk of SERIOUSLY impacting their life in the event of an accident.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
The jerk who hit him had only $15,000 of insurance, so Joe got royally screwed - his medical and hospital bills came to $182,000!!!
So is Joe from USA? Was the accident in USA? Isn't $500000 the minimum public liability and property damage coverage?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Was curious fasteddie, not that we're in love with these guys, but did he try a good motorcycle attorney to go after the DF driver and the insurance company?

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
So is Joe from USA? Was the accident in USA? Isn't $500000 the minimum public liability and property damage coverage?

Mandatory minimums are set by the state. In Tennessee for instance:

The minimum coverage amount required by the state's financial responsibility law increased on April 1, 2008, to $25,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $50,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.

This is similar to the coverage required by the state of TN for passenger cars.

You can get a general idea of state mandatory insurances at the AMA website:

AMA Legislation by State

I would think that one's personal medical insurance would kick in and then it's up to insurance companies to hash it out and after that would be civil suit between individuals (but I am NOT a lawyer).

And +1 on everybody should have personal/motorcycle/life insurance!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Suit is not always the answer, still exposed tremendously with non-insured public, illegal aliens, etc etc. Can't sue folks who don't have anything. Enough reading on these and other forums made me recently up my coverage accordingly. +1 to the OP here, thanks FastEddie.
Until someone can assure me every driver on the road is sufficiently covered, I ain't rolling the dice hoping they do.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 AM

Around here, some people drive without insurance because they write a check to an insurance agent who then gives them a document called a "binder" to prove they are insured. Then they go and get plates with it before their check to the insurance company bounces.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetzel View Post
I would think that one's personal medical insurance would kick .....!
This is something I have mentioned to others that you should check on before you need it. My wife's insurance with what was a Fortune 500 company before being bought out, excludes medical coverage for motorcycle accidents. It is specific in their policy as they see it as extreme sports.

We have to carry a seperate, high deductible major medical, just in case we have an accident, our fault or not. When I was shopping for policies online, one question they asked was if you rode a bike. If so, some of the companies and polices they were trying to sell were dropped from the offering.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Joe's from Arkansa, and the crash was in Arizona. The asshat that hit him was from California with minimum insurance - $15,000.
Ed
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Was curious fasteddie, not that we're in love with these guys, but did he try a good motorcycle attorney to go after the DF driver and the insurance company?
Can't say...?

Ed
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeelybeast View Post
This is something I have mentioned to others that you should check on before you need it. My wife's insurance with what was a Fortune 500 company before being bought out, excludes medical coverage for motorcycle accidents. It is specific in their policy as they see it as extreme sports.

We have to carry a seperate, high deductible major medical, just in case we have an accident, our fault or not. When I was shopping for policies online, one question they asked was if you rode a bike. If so, some of the companies and polices they were trying to sell were dropped from the offering.
Which insurance company was it?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Which insurance company was it?
Cigna insurance.

At one time, the American Motorcyclist Association had an alert on a pending bill up in Congress. I can not remember the details now, but basically it was a case where they passed legislation that prevented insurance companies from denying coverage for some legal sports, such as motorcyle riding.

When the law was finally written, those who drafted it did not word it correctly. The end result was a law that would not let them deny coverage on you for riding a motorcycle, but they would not cover any events caused by a motorcycle accident.

The push by AMA was to get them to vote on a correction bill that has been around for a couple of years, but it stays in committee and never comes up for a vote. I followed it for a while and wrote my representative about it.

Just saying, regardless of insurance company, might check the fine print before something happens and you need it.

Last edited by STeelybeast; 09-13-2009 at 04:12 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=fasteddiecopeman;51130]Please read this with an open mind: Some of you might remember a post I made in December 2008 about a buddy's crash of his Bandit sidecar rig in Arizona (with my wife in the sidecar!), when a car (driver texting?) swerved into him. He broke BOTH fibulas and tibias, BOTH ankles, crushed his left knee and right foot, broke ribs (punctured and collapsed a lung) and lacerated his kidney. Hospitalized for MONTHS!

On the December post I begged you all to ride ATGATT. On THIS post I'm begging you to ensure you are carrying enough insurance to cover something unforseen!

I'm not sure about all health insurance companies, but usually after the primary insurance is exhausted, your healthcare insurance then picks up. Unless Joe's health insurance is the same as your wife's.

The sad truth about those who do not have insurance coverage or have inadequate coverage that they usually don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Those of us who buy adequate insurance have something to protect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode