Different bars for long distance - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Different bars for long distance

I've just returned from a 16 day, 6500 trip. My shortest day was 200 miles, the longest was 600, but every day involved some travel. After about 10 days I started to realize my stock bars were forcing an elbows-out posture. This posture is probably preferred for day-to-day short rides but for this long trip I was wishing for an elbows-in posture.

Has anyone found different bars that are more suitable for long distance travel?

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"-- I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM

It's not quite enough information. Are you elbows too far forward, or back, tucked in or out too far?

Sometimes just tilting the bars forward or back makes a big difference. A tilt change of a 1/4" can make a huge difference in comfort.

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

I've moved my bars back by installing Rox Risers and rotating the angle back towards me. The distance to the bars is fine. With my wrists in a straight relaxed position, if I grip the bars with even pressure on all fingers, my elbows stand out from my ribs too far. I would prefer that my arms go straight down from my shoulders instead of bending out. If I attempt to hold my arms in this position I either have to bend my wrists or I have to grip the bars unevenly with my fingers.

The elbows-out posture of the stock bars is not a bad thing. I prefer it on gravel roads and in turns. It just didn't suit this recent ride. After 10 days I was in pain. The perfect setup would be bars with an adjustable bend. To prepare for a long trip I could pull them back and in normal use return them to a stock angle. Do adjustable bars exist?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM

I'd like a no thrill answer to exactly where my bars should be to prevent the tensing at the base of the neck and between my shoulder blades when riding for awhile. I'm 6'1" 170 lbs., stock bike.

I'm not sure about an adjustable bend bar, but I think the make quick change brackets, for easier bar replacement.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM

They do exist, but I'm unsure what setup would work for the Versys.

http://www.helibars.com/horizon.php

http://www.rearsets.info/handlebars.html (Worth a look)

Here is a good source of links

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...handlebars.htm

Maloy

Bikes owned
Current
'74 Honda CL360

Past
'08 Versys (lost in head on collision 07-05-2010)
'86 Honda XL500 (wrecked RIP)
'08 KLR650
'00 Vulcan Classic Fi 1500cc
'06 Kymco 250cc scooter
'93 Honda VLX 600cc
'85 Honda XL500
'85 Honda Rebel 250cc
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Maloy!

That middle link looks like the perfect thing. Four-way adjustable bars!

And the place is located within 18 miles from where I am sitting. I think I'll take an extended lunch tomorrow.

Last edited by pmdean650; 09-08-2009 at 01:31 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
I'd like a no thrill answer to exactly where my bars should be to prevent the tensing at the base of the neck and between my shoulder blades when riding for awhile. I'm 6'1" 170 lbs., stock bike....

I just finished a 3 day ride (my longest so far) and I had the same cramping in my upper back, between the shoulder blades, and to a lesser extent at the base of my neck. On day 2, I caught myself tensing up on the bars at times while riding the twisties with a very fast group. On day 3, I focused on relaxing as much as I could, and tried to be more concious of my posture while riding. That helped alot.

I'm going to rotate the handle bars back a bit to see if that helps.

I'm 5'9", 170lbs, Corbin seat, Givi windshield.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 AM

Thanks trialguy! I also tried relaxing and noticed it helped a little. Let me know if moving the bars help, will be interested.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks trialguy! I also tried relaxing and noticed it helped a little. Let me know if moving the bars help, will be interested.
I rotated my bars rearward. It helped quite a bit on my commute today.

I will know more after this weekend of riding longer distances.

I think the issue was - with the bars forward, i tended to pull myself forward by the bars. When I accellerated out the the turns, I was too far forward in the seat to make any use of the seat "backstop". My new riding pants on the Corbin seat was kinda slippery. I was using my arms/upper back to keep in position on the seat, thus causing crampingin my upper back. With the bars back, I can make use of the seat backstop.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I'd like a no thrill answer to exactly where my bars should be to prevent the tensing at the base of the neck and between my shoulder blades when riding for awhile. I'm 6'1" 170 lbs., stock bike.

I'm not sure about an adjustable bend bar, but I think the make quick change brackets, for easier bar replacement.
I would guess that is from tensing your muscles. Try relaxing more, lighter touch on the bars.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM

I'll try rotating my bars back slightly and trying that. How far back did you go?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I'll try rotating my bars back slightly and trying that. How far back did you go?
I rotated my bars back as far as they could go, and still not touch the tank/side panels when turned a full lock. I rotated the handlebar switchgear housings in order to get the most clearance at full lock. I now have about
1/8" clearance between the bottom of the switch housings and the tops of the side panel bolts.

I went for a longer ride this weekend, with the bars rotated back and kept a light touch on the bars. It solved the upper back cramping issue.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 PM

I did a 350 mile trip Thursday, and much of it was on a rather boring interstate 4 lane. I don't recommend this unless you are experienced and there is not much or any traffic around you, but with these wide bars, I find myself leaning my left elbow on the tank (had my soft tank bag on) and resting my hand on the middle or riser portion of the bar. This provides a good sport style tuck, pretty aero, and relieves the posterior by moving the weight off and onto the tank somewhat. Again, probably not recommended to everyone, but this bike is so stable at highway speed, I have no worries about losing any control on straights, as a means to ride farther without discomfort. Just my 2 cents.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
...I find myself leaning my left elbow on the tank (had my soft tank bag on) and resting my hand on the middle or riser portion of the bar. ... .
I do that too. Shifting pressure points around during a ride is a great way to eliminate sore spots.

Another position I found helpful for short periods and at speed below 50 mph, on a straight road - is to prop my left foot up on top of the alternator housing, and grab the left mirror stalk with my left hand.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 04:21 PM

I like to stand on the pegs now and then while traveling. It helps with the butt, legs, and arms. As a bonus, it pisses off the cruiser riders because they can't do it :P .
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM

If your mirrors are like the rest of ours trialsguy, be careful! Mine has not come loose with loctite after 500 miles, but I sure wouldn't trust grabbing it.
Thanks for the info on the bars, bought some allen head sockets the other day and am ready to adjust mine this weekend.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 PM

i have the same problem..after a long ride i start to get a really sore muscle in the right side of my neck to the point it almost feels like a burn from a cigarette...
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Thats the same for me. Trying to relaxe alittle while riding helped, but I think it's all in the bar posistion being to far forward. I also notice you tend to ride with your elbows out, I tried pulling mine in when on long stretches and that also helped. Gonna adjust my bars this weekend and I'll post results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode