"Kawasaki" Importer Woes... (Mexico) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Kawasaki" Importer Woes... (Mexico)

I'm on my third Kawasaki and everytime I have a Kawasaki I swear I'll never own another one...

But the truth is, Kawasaki does make some bikes that appeal to me, like my current Versys 650. You know what would make it better? ABS, I want ABS. Soon I'll start commuting 30 miles in stop-go city traffic, plenty of oblivious drivers that forget that they are driving and focus on their damn cellphones. I know how to brake, I've had my fair share of close calls as I've been riding daily for the last 11 years, but I know that a computer will react and correct faster when/if I screw up...

You can only tell how excited I was when finally the ABS equipped Versys was available for 2014, that is, until I saw the price...

In the USA it goes like...
V-Strom 650 ABS: $8600
Versys 650 ABS: $8000

In Mexico it goes like...
V-Strom 650 ABS: $10,134
Versys 650 ABS: $12,057

BMW F700GS (base): $11,112

And pretty much all of Kawasaki's lineup is ridiculously overpriced, another example:
ZX-10R ABS: $19,452
S1000RR: $18,500

Ninja 300 $8,014
CBR 250 $4,500

LOL, Que?

And if you end up overpaying and bring one home, you're basically on your own if it breaks. For example, I had the clutch cable on my Versys break. Guess what? None in stock, I had to pay for it and wait 30 working days for it. Want an air filter? Same thing. Want an oil filter? Same thing. Basically, they stock nothing.

With this importer you end up paying more for a Kawasaki than for a BMW, you get the absolute worst post sale support, which turns in a record setting depreciation.

Tried to contact them, didn't got a reply. Tried to contact them on Facebook, they deleted my comment and blocked me from posting on the company page.

What would you do? I don't like BMW, but comparing the Versys 650 to the base F700GS you get more power, better fuel economy and the same features... But as overpriced as the Versys is, you get more with the BMW for $1000 less!

I can't contact anyone else in Mexico, basically this importer is a 3rd party, Grupo Motomex, that seems to buy their bikes from Kawasaki of America, as all the bikes that are sold here are DOT spec. and they don't give a damn. Who would you contact, Kawasaki of America (USA) or Kawasaki Japan? How?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 PM

Let them know how much you appreciate their fine customer service and outstanding pricing by not buying from them. The Versys is a descent bike, but it is far for the only fish in the sea.

I am dealing with a similar thing in the Philippines. The Kawasaki dealer here for big bikes is just plain idiotic. They are not as bad as the examples you are citing, but I can totally dig it.

It is unlikely I will buy another bike fro the local Kawasaki guys and if I do, I will simply do so knowing that I am purchasing a bike only and there is no sense of genuine customer service or professionalism coming along with it at any stage of the game.

best of luck an I am going to watch this thread - if you have any joy, please let us know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Agree with you about no dealers in Mexico. Some US parts houses ship to Mexico. For cables I go to the auto parts district in Guadalajara with the old cable in hand. You will find a cable tienda and they will duplicate the oem cable for about $12-15 USD. The OEM air filter can be cleaned or you can have someone mail you one from the states. Oil filters, I use Scotts stainless steel and clean it myself. Buena suerte,

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Agree with you about no dealers in Mexico. Some US parts houses ship to Mexico. For cables I go to the auto parts district in Guadalajara with the old cable in hand. You will find a cable tienda and they will duplicate the oem cable for about $12-15 USD. The OEM air filter can be cleaned or you can have someone mail you one from the states. Oil filters, I use Scotts stainless steel and clean it myself. Buena suerte,
That's what I did with my clutch cable. Even if I ordered it from the USA it would take no less than two weeks, which is blazing fast compared to Kawasaki de Mexico, 30 "working" days, or, 6 freaking weeks.

And well, I contacted them on Facebook and now I can't post comments...

Then I sent an e-mail to Kawasaki de Mexico, to which I got no reply...

Then I sent an e-mail to Kawasaki Japan, and that seemed to work. The "CEO" of Kawasaki de Mexico contacted me, Kawasaki Japan asked him to look into it. After much bull**** to justify their pricing, he acted like if he didn't knew they had problems with part availability, etc. But he offered me a "discount" on a new Versys, $770 less...

LOL!

I'm not paying that much for a Versys. Problem is, the only other middle weight bikes with similar power are the V-Strom 650 and the F700GS. I loathe BMW. I hate the size of the V-Strom, it is a 1000cc sized bike (shares the frame with the 1000cc V-strom) and the high mounted exhaust makes it ridiculously wide with panniers...

So I guess I'll have to consider the BMW.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM

I emailed Kawasaki of Mexico a couple of times also and never got a reply either. Well I guess we can say at least the lack of customer service is consistent.

I paid 3700 USD for a used V and the cost to import is 1200-1500, far more reasonable than Kawasaki of Mexico. I think you can buy a new V with ABS in the US and import/nationalize for less than Kaw of Mexico wants.

I don't know your Visa status, but if you are on a Residente Temporal visa (previously FM3) you could buy the V in Texas with ABS and apply a TVIP to one vehicle. The import sticker will be good for as long as your Visa is valid.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:30 PM

I am in Thailand where these are made, although we only have had them domestically since 2011.
All are ABS - is that not the case worldwide?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
I am in Thailand where these are made, although we only have had them domestically since 2011.
All are ABS - is that not the case worldwide?
The ones sold in the Philippines are Non ABS- essentially appears to be a 2013 model (non ABS). Around $8,700 for the bike here based on what I paid and the exchange rate at the time. Its a lot for a bike of this caliber, but a lot less than a better caliber bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode