What's your mileage? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What's your mileage?

I see in a couple of threads there has been some concern with the reliability of the Versys engine. I talked to 3 different service managers in the Atlanta area and they all said that they had never seen, or heard of, a Versys having any type of engine trouble at all. They said not to be concerned and I for one am not.

What's your year and mileage and what (if any) issues you have had with your V.

Ive got a red 08 pretty much stock with 8,200 miles. I ride it hard in the mountains and have had no issues whatsoever.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 09-07-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
I see in a couple of threads there has been some concern with the reliability of the Versys engine. I talked to 3 different service managers in the Atlanta area and they all said that they had never seen, or heard of, a Versys having any type of engine trouble at all. They said not to be concerned and I for one am not.

To put at ease anyone who may be looking at getting one of these fine machines, let's have a roll call of your year and mileage and what if any issues you have had with your V.

Ive got a red 08 pretty much stock with 8,200 miles. I ride it hard in the mountains and have had no issues whatsoever.
18,000miles
no issues at all

AMA EAA STN
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM

I have an 09 Green bought it new in April. haven't done any engine or power mods, only cosmetic and comfort mods and top case. I have over 5800 miles so far and everything is good no issues.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 AM

I was talking a the mechanic last week at WOW and said he loves the engine (same as engine Kawi uses all/most of their 650s). From everything I have heard the engine is pretty much bulletproof. But no matter how good anything is there will be the occassional failure.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 AM

there was a thread on the versys.co.uk site recently about reliability. there were some issues over the poll votes but it showed 90/10 split between those who had never had their bike let them down on the road (excluding punctures) and thise who had had problems
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=6422.0

and there are some high milege bikes there
several over 20,000 miles and at least one over 55,000 miles

for me personally I've done some 10,000 miles since January 2009, the bike has now done 14,000 with no problems

a couple of people reported battery problems
there are the (fairly) well known concerns over the rectifier/charging system which I think seems to be more an issue on the 2006/7 bikes.

Last edited by healdem; 09-07-2009 at 09:14 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I was talking a the mechanic last week at WOW and said he loves the engine (same as engine Kawi uses all/most of their 650s). From everything I have heard the engine is pretty much bulletproof. But no matter how good anything is there will be the occassional failure.

Exactly.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:44 AM

20k plus miles, zero issues.

Machog

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 PM

New here. I have an 08 with 17,000 miles. Maintenance by the book. No problems with this machine at all. A pleasure to ride and own!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 AM

47XX,,No trouble on my 09
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 PM

20,000 on a 2007 runs great will be getting the Valves djusted in the near future

Working to make it my Streetfighter
V
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM

15,000 miles running great! Added 44 tooth sprocket last weekend along with new Dunlop Roadsmart tires. Big improvement. I am beginning to thing it a bike didn't have a few warts it wouldn't be any fun...it has been fun trying to come up with good solutions. As long as those warts aren't bad or don't make the bike unsafe.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM

I have about 2500 on mine and at around 1000, the water pump gasket started leaking. It was covered under warranty with no problem, just the hassle to take it back & leave it while they ordered the parts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 PM

'08 V with 5500 trouble free miles. Only thing I have changed engine wise is Amsoil 10w-40.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 PM

2200km on my 08 but it's a bit cold for riding these days without riding pants and I can't find the pair I want to buy.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 PM

I've got just under 22,000 miles on my 2008 with no issues.

One of things that drew me to this bike was the common heritage with the Ninja 650. Even though it's a fairly new bike, most of the components have been used on the Ninja for a while. If you add in the owner history for all of the Ninja's out there, there is a pretty strong base of reliability and opportunity to learn about nagging issues.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode