How much gas? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How much gas?

Ran the tank 'til the engine died. Had a gallon jug of gas with me. So it takes 5.3 gallons to fill to the little baffle. It will hold an additional 0.4 gal if you fill to the bottom of the lip. I ran about 35 miles at 70 mph from the time is started flashing "FUEL" 'til the engine quit.

I'm getting about 50 mpg at 70 mph so a drop dead range of 285 miles (5.7 gal).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 PM

I've ran mine bone dry. (Ran out of gas as I rolled up to the pump)

And was only able to put in 5.1 gallons. I have no idea where you are getting the "5.7" gallon tank.

Hooligan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

5.3 to the baffle, another 0.4 to the bottom of the neck. You probably don't want to do this if you plan to ride the bike home and let it sit on the side stand. When you are on a long trip it ain't gonna matter.

I fill my bike with it standing staight up, not on the sidestand.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 AM

Take it from me... Your "Drop Dead" number doesn't mean squat when you're in the middle of nowhere New Mexico after passing up the opportunity to fill up when you could. I thought I was doing so well on mileage I blew through Durango, CO without stopping a couple of Julys ago. Two hours later I start sweating bullets looking for anything at all on the horizon that even looked like it might have a gas station... Although I finally found DesMoines, NM with maybe a gallon still in my tank... the fact that I didn't really know IF I would find anything made for a miserable couple of hours. I now carry a one-gallon jug on those iffy outings...

If the lady at the DesMoines gas station lady knew I'd be happy to pay her ten dollars a gallon for her fuel she could have retired on the spot...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 02-26-2014 at 07:25 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

It is good to run out of gas under controlled conditions to find out how the bike will act, if it will start back. It is truely amazing how desolate parts of the mid-west are. A few years back I went to the Trinity Site at Whitesands to see spot where the first atomic bomb was detonated. It is literally in the middle of nowhere and I was on a sportbike with a 3 gallon tank. This is where if first desided to try filling the tank to the very brim.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 AM
MTS

Interesting! Don't know if running out of gas is a good test?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
5.3 to the baffle, another 0.4 to the bottom of the neck. You probably don't want to do this if you plan to ride the bike home and let it sit on the side stand. When you are on a long trip it ain't gonna matter.

I fill my bike with it standing staight up, not on the sidestand.
I ALWAYS fill my tank(s) to the TOP of the neck to where the metal has been turned "back" down - maybe about 18mm from the ABSOLUTE top, and that gives me around the 5.7 USgal waltermitty speaks of. (I removed the "carbon-cannister-CA" crap from my '09 to do this on that one.)

I fill the tank w/ me astride the bike, and ONLY when I'll be riding at least 10 to 15 miles before it gets parked. For instance, on my D2D trip, it got filled in the morning once I was into "rock'n'roll" mode, and never till AFTER the 'coffee-cinnamon-bun' stop was over, IF that also coincided w/ a gas stop.

At my normal 50 to 58 mpg, that gives me an ABSOLUTE range of 285 to 330 miles, which can be VERY handy on a leg like Dawson City to Eagle Plains, (up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik, NT) which is around 280 miles of dirt, rock, gravel.

Which is WHY I also carry a one gallon of extra gas!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-26-2014 at 02:12 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Ran the tank 'til the engine died. Had a gallon jug of gas with me. So it takes 5.3 gallons to fill to the little baffle. It will hold an additional 0.4 gal if you fill to the bottom of the lip. I ran about 35 miles at 70 mph from the time is started flashing "FUEL" 'til the engine quit.

I'm getting about 50 mpg at 70 mph so a drop dead range of 285 miles (5.7 gal).
How much do you weigh?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
about 350KM on full tank .
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
How much do you weigh?
'Bout 170 lbs neckid.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...At my normal 50 to 58 mpg, that gives me an ABSOLUTE range of 285 to 330 miles, which can be VERY handy on a leg like Dawson City to Eagle Plains, (up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik, NT) which is around 280 miles of dirt, rock, gravel....
Finally had a chance to check that distance - Dawson City (the gas station at the bottom of the Dempster burned down a few yeas back, so you need to fill in Dawson, meaning around 27 miles BEFORE you hit the "dirt") to Eagle Plains is 254 miles.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode