service prices - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
service prices

Was curious what the cost of services is for the Versys 1,000 mile,6,000 mile
I just wanted to be ready for it when i buy to see if it i s worth buying the 3 year matinence plan or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM

My dealership charges 85$ per hour--service usally is about 1 1/2 hours.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
My dealership charges 85$ per hour--service usally is about 1 1/2 hours.
So you pay? $125.00 for 6k service or any oil change service if you co to the dealer

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Oil change is only half hour charge plus oil and filter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Yeah I got quoted 250 in Sexsmith Alberta. So I bought the oil and filter for 50 bucks and did it myself.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

They have a $999.00 Maitinecnce package that cover all oil,filter and services for the first 3 years/36000 miles
of your of your versys ownership. I called around and have been quted oil filter specials for 25 bucks but that is just oil and filter only
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Here is OTD Motorsports prices :

Price: $79.00 OTD
Description:

Oil & filter Services include:

• Draining of the Dirty Oil

• Replacement of the drain bolt crush washer

• Manufacturer recommended oil filter and oil filter cover o-rings (if needed),

• Applicable non-synthetic oil*

*There is an $8.00 surcharge per quart for synthetic oil.

“OTD Service prices need to be confirmed by a service representative upon scheduling your service and are only applicable on factory required maintenance. Out the Door Price quotes for service include all applicable parts, labor, supplies, and taxes. Prices are good only for the day you received the quote. There is always the possibility that our certified technicians recommend supplementary repairs in addition to standard maintenance."

$179.00 1st service,second service
399.00 3rd service
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kawasaki Standard Maintenance Detail(3)-1.pdf (39.2 KB, 60 views)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
They have a $999.00 Maitinecnce package that cover all oil,filter and services for the first 3 years/36000 miles
of your of your versys ownership. I called around and have been quted oil filter specials for 25 bucks but that is just oil and filter only
To be honest that sounds like way to much money. I know I have not spent that much on ANY bike for maintenance over a 3 year period. First off are you going to put 36,000 miles on the bike in 3 years?
The first two checks (up to 16,000 miles) are nothing but oil changes for the most part. Then again I feel any motorcycle owner should be competent enough to do 90% of their own maintenance.

Things an owner should be capable of doing in my opinion

Change Oil and Filter
Adjust Chain
Adjust and lube cables
Change brake pads
Clean or change air filter

Those are the biggest part of your maintenance schedule the rest would be changing tires and adjusting or checking valve clearance.

Also be careful some of those prepaid service contracts cover checking the valve clearance but not adjusting them.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 09-04-2009 at 12:24 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM

I'm partially disabled and still change the oil & filter on my Versys. It's pretty easy. Going to get a rear stand from Harbor Freight so I can do chain adjustments too. Not much other service on this great bike. Spent many years and lots of $$$ on service whore BMW's. 600 mile service, 6000 mile service and the mother of all services, the 12,000 mile service. The 12K service is priced anywhere from $600 to over $1000. depending on the model. Shop rates for anything else are at $100.00 per hour at the dealers here in Colorado. Sheesh!
Our valve adjustment isn't scheduled until 26,000 miles according to our Versys manual. My shop quoted me about $400. for it. I've only got about 6000 miles now so thats a bit down the line. Probably will have them do it. Used to do my valves on my Beemers but these look more involved.

If I had to choose a bike to go cross country with, a Beemer or a Versys? A Versys hands down. This current generation of BMW bikes are proving to very unreliable and have lots of chronic service issues through the model lineup. Hard to believe given the huge cost difference. Less and less BMW dealers around the country every year too. If your Beemer breaks you may have to arrange to haul it many hundreds of miles for repair. Here in Colorado 2 BMW dealers have been bought by and incorporated into Harley dealerships. The bikes worked on mostly by Harley mechanics who really don't know or like the bikes very much according to reports from riders who had work done there.
Have to find a Kawasaki dealer? About any mid-sized town has one, across the country.
I loved and rode BMW's for many years. I still am involved in the BMW community and love all the rallies around the country. But it may be a while until I own one again.
What's the BMW factory focusing on now? A easy to maintain and reliable bike to tour on? NO! The RR1000, a 193HP sport bike that weighs about the same as our Versys. More Sheesh!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 AM

+1 on all the good feedback above...I bought 3 filters and a case of dino juice ( no synthetic yet) for less than a C note...I ride about 3-5 k a year, wish it was more.
Hey Versysbob, just read that bmw motorcycles are the MOST recalled vehicles in Europe, by far, its like 10 to 1 compared to cars. It would be the same over here, but our American cars get recalled all the time. I read the recall notices for mike manufactures and every month there are 2/ BMW & guess who else, yup, Harley Davidson.

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I figure 3 quarts of Mobil 1 15w-50 is around $18, and my oil filters about $2.75, all at WalMart, and I bought copper drain-plug washers that I re-anneal each change. Makes for a $20 bill per.

Ed
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Where'd you get the copper washers? That sounds like a plan! I remember annealing the copper head gasket on my old Triumphs. Easy-peasy!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 06:07 PM

You can order crush washers online.
I'd stick with Aluminum. This has been discussed in another thread on this forum.

I've found that the killer deal in oilchangery is to go in on one of those Autozone / Oreilly / Advance Auto oil change specials.
I scored 5 quarts of 'synthetic' valvoline and a the 'heavy duty' version of the Fram filter for 24.99

They'll have at least one kind of filter that fits the Versys.
Check here for a nice cross reference.
I know it's not the same motorcycle, only the second sexiest bike in existence, but the filters are the same.

Save paying by the hour for service for something that you can't just as easily do on your own.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 PM

After checking the other thread, it appears the whole crushwasher issue is hardly worth worrying about. When it becomes a problem for me I think I'll see if O'Reilly's still sells those rubber-coated washers I used on a problem bike a few years ago.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amain View Post
After checking the other thread, it appears the whole crushwasher issue is hardly worth worrying about. When it becomes a problem for me I think I'll see if O'Reilly's still sells those rubber-coated washers I used on a problem bike a few years ago.
Now you're using common sense...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode