Abba - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Abba

Has anyone tried the ABBA Superbike lift. My dealer has one in stock but as my Versys does not have a hollow ended pivot shaft the the adapters will not be of any use. Apparently ABBA does not make a adapter set for the Versys. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
They list an ER6 fitting kit for 18.50, which would work on the Versys.
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=27

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM

I use a regular paddock stand and swingarm spools. Been doing it for years. Harbor Freight has a decent one for $50.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Harbor Freight may be a good deal, then when you add the shipping to Canada the deal is not so great.

Holeshot in Langley, BC has a good one for something like $150 with the spool pieces.

I was in Canadian Tyre last week and they sell combo pack for around $130 that does front and back. :Looks OK on the box!!

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...ke%2BStand.jsp

When you cross the waters to the mainland give me a shout, maybe we can riding?

Steve

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faller View Post
Has anyone tried the ABBA Superbike lift. My dealer has one in stock but as my Versys does not have a hollow ended pivot shaft the the adapters will not be of any use. Apparently ABBA does not make a adapter set for the Versys. Any suggestions?
I have an Abba stand for the Versys. It works fine. Call the guys at Abba stands they are very helpful. The technical guy said the ER6 adaptor would work on the versys but it wouldn't lift the back wheel off the ground so I would have to use some plywood or blockboard under the legs of the stand. He is right but not completely. Without the plywood the stand lifts the wheel about 1mm clear of the deck, but this is OK for cleaning the bike working on the chain or whatever. If you want to change the wheel you need to use the plywood to give you a bit more clearance.
The versys adaptor is designed to go over the large nut that holds the swingarm in place. You have to remove the plastic covers first (one screw).
Mike
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Abba

Thanks guys,I took your suggestions to the dealer and he had the adapters as well as the stand. $300 CAD. I bit the bullet and am glad I did. This setup works great, the plywood did the trick. Lots of clearance.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys,I took your suggestions to the dealer and he had the adapters as well as the stand. $300 CAD. I bit the bullet and am glad I did. This setup works great, the plywood did the trick. Lots of clearance.
One word of warning Faller. I was using the stand on a ninja 250r for the first time. Of course when you start the process of putting the bike on the abba stand, the sidestand is supporting the bike. As you rotate the abba stand, it pushes the sidestand backwards about halfway. I hadn't spotted this, so when I reversed the procedure, I expected the bike to settle down on to its sidestnd, that was no longer in position. I managed to catch the lightweight little Ninja before it fell over - unfortunatey I was holding half the abba stand in my hand which I whacked into the tank causing a dink I watch this point carefully now whichever bike I'm using the Abba stand on.
Mike
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Abba

Thanks Mike, I did just the opposite. When I put it up for the 1st time I did not notice that the brake peddle was being pushed out and back, a nasty bend but repairable.

Wayne
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I did just the opposite. When I put it up for the 1st time I did not notice that the brake peddle was being pushed out and back, a nasty bend but repairable.

Wayne
Hahha ... yes you've just reminded me I did something similar on the Ninja too. Actually I had not used the correct spacer on the left side which meant the leg of the stand forced the gear lever inwards. Fortunately the levers are made from plastecine and are easily corrected.
Mike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebee View Post
I was in Canadian Tyre last week and they sell combo pack for around $130 that does front and back. :Looks OK on the box!!

I bought these, and they work fine. I didn't know about the Abba stands at the time, though, and it looks like a nice setup.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 AM

I'd suggest looking at what Pit-Bull has to offer: www.pit-bull.com

They have an extensive product line, and they are made right here in the USA.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 06:27 PM
vp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebee View Post
Harbor Freight may be a good deal, then when you add the shipping to Canada the deal is not so great.

Holeshot in Langley, BC has a good one for something like $150 with the spool pieces.

When you cross the waters to the mainland give me a shout, maybe we can riding?

Steve
I just picked up the crappy tire stand set and it works great, I even managed to put it up on the rear stand by myself without too much drama. Only thing it needed is a bit of bending to get it to the proper width. Servicing is a lot easier.

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode