1st trip planned - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1st trip planned

I have 4400 miles on now, and I'm getting Avon Distenzas put on Saturday. I made reservations for a tent camping site over Columbus Day weekend, at Shawnee State Park near Portsmouth, OH. The state forest that surrounds the park has a ton of forest roads, paved and mostly gravel.

I have all the Cortech sport bags, side, top, and tank, and I have a bunch of backpacking gear, so I think I can load up and survive for 3 days. Of course, I might zip into the city for a snack...

I've ridden down there before and played around, but only for a day. Takes 2+ hours to get there. Yea, I'll take the camera.

Suggestions?

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Have a great time! Do you have your stuff in Dry sacks? Those Cortech's are handy but dont stop the rain so great...

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Wish you a great camping trip and ride!! I am not able to get my tailbag to strap up to my saddlebags. I mounted the saddlebags first, strap under seat, and the tailbag will not fasten in. They are cortech also, what am I doing wrong N8UW?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 AM

Randy,

cortech has two different buckle types depending on when you purchased...... i have run into the same issue my tail bag is brand new and my two year old saddles will not lock together, they say a need a buckle adapter that is on back order for another month or so...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

My bag straps snap together fairly easily, but I had to look carefully to find the places to insert the straps. They are in little pockets with red flaps over them.

I've been going to Shawnee State Forest for fall colors for many years in cars, and an RV the last couple years. I think I can dodge rain on the way there and back, and I'll stash the bags in the tent while I'm there. All the bags have rain covers, but I wouldn't trust them going 60 MPH down the road. They will probably work OK if I need to wait out a storm somewhere.

Anyway, my backpacking gear is all weather, and I'll dry sack clothes, etc.

I decided to do the motorcycle trip a couple weeks before fall colors, so I don't have to deal with leaves all over the roads. Me and my dog will go down 2 weeks later in the RV with the Subaru in tow.

I'll try to mount the bags and get some pictures up after the tire change Saturday.

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Mine will snap in, there just not long enough. I've got the saddlebags with the taper forward beacause of the width of the strap, since I have ran under the seat. With the tailbag on top of the passenger seat the straps just aren't long enough to fasten all the way around. I've sent an email to Tourmaster, got a reply to inform me they will respond, have not heard back. All I would need is 4-6" extension strap and all would be good. I just wish the saddlebags didn't lean in a little towards the wheel. I have my passenger hand holds still on. Would removing these help?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

IIRC, I put the side bags little part towards the rear, the smaller strap under the seat, and the big strap through the passenger handholds.

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks!!
Is your tailbag the round one or sport tail bag?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

I have the square one.

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM

I think thats the same one. Pictured in the instruction cardboard with a taper in the rear.
Which cortech tank bag did you get? I figured I'd have to get the mini so it would have all tank to magnet to, since the rest is plastic.

Last edited by Randy49; 09-03-2009 at 08:30 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mounting Cortech Bags

WARNING - I'm a noob, so take this accordingly.

WARNING - Take your key out as soon as you take the seat off, I bent one of mine so bad it no longer works, fiddling with bags a couple months ago.

1st - put saddle bags on backwards, get top bag on, scratch head, figure out bags are backwards, blame dog.

2nd - remove seat, put the small velcro strap together fairly snug, and put the seat back on (picture 2).

3rd - secure side bags so the rear is just over the turn signals.

4th - put the top bag on, secure the buckles (picture 4), and secure the bungees.

5th - put the mini Cortech tank bag on backwards on purpose, so the magnet has something to grab, and thread the safety strap carefully so it doesn't rub wires.

6th - (picture 5) admire the nice clean bagged up beast with brand new Avon Distenza tires.

I hope this works for you, picture 4 shows what kind of buckles my top bag has. The whole thing is really secure, I've ridden with it before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (225.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (220.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (225.0 KB, 189 views)

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks! Sharp V all loaded up!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Good trip

Well, I'm a bit humbled by the other trip thread, but I did have a great time.

As a newbie, I was able to get comfortable on the gravel roads fairly quickly. The new tires help a lot. Confidence, and looking ahead like I do on paved roads, seem to help me a lot. After a while, I was just putting along, taking curves as they came and enjoying the changing colors on the trees.

Good twisty state routes on the way down, I went into town Saturday night, rode some of the other paved forest roads with 2nd gear uphill switchbacks, and I was chased by many dogs. Then I took the big roads home, this bike truly does do it all, and do everything I need it to do quite well and enjoyably.

It doesn't happen for me without this forum, thanks, guys.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg v.jpg (276.1 KB, 127 views)

Chuck
2008 Kawasaki Versys
New rider (Sep. '08)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Glad you had a great trip!!! I am looking forward to next year taking my first real long trip---just havn't decided where yet.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode