luggage disappointment - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy luggage disappointment

Okay, here's my deal. I finally broke down and decided to buy hard luggage. Thought I'd start with a tail rack and topcase because of cost. After countless hours of research, reading reviews and whatnot, I decided on the Shad rack and SH-46 case. Watched the tracking on UPS for the last part of last week with today as the expected delivery date. Waited with excitement and anticipation for that brown truck. (I really like buying stuff!) I was hoping to have it installed before I left for work today. Time for work....still no truck. UPS website said "out for delivery" so I knew it was just a matter of time so I called and took half the day off. Plus it's my wifes birthday so now we could have dinner together. A little later I glance out the window and see the brown truck leaving. Run out to the porch to find.........a box that is completely trashed. Looks as if it's been crushed from about every angle possible. Nothing on the case is broke or cracked but it is warped. Looks as if the case was sitting on its back (hinge side) with something heavy on the front so the back is pushed in and there's a gap on both sides between the lid and bottom part of the case. Also the packing slip has the rack circled in the list of items with "shipped separately" written next to it. There was no indication of this in the tracking or in any of my order confirmation's. So even if the case was in perfect condition, I couldn't have done anything with it! Tried to call them but they must have been closed for the day.

Now a question of overall quality aside from everything else. Despite the damage, I was really expecting better overall quality. I did alot of reading and checking into things and never found anything negative about Shad luggage. I was surprised to see stickers that looked in the pictures like actual trim work. Won't these just peel off within the first couple of times it gets wet or sits in the sun all day? After all, this is a $200+ case. Do Givi and the others use these same types of materials? Is this just how they are, or did I make a mistake in going with Shad?

Sorry. I didn't intend for this to be this long or turn into a sort of rant, but I'm sure most of you can relate somehow.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cabrown; 09-01-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 AM

The Givi cases don't use any decals, but they are all plastic. I have the V35 side cases and the E52 Maxia top case. They seem to be sturdy enough and I haven't had any problems with leaks (and I have ridden in some heavy rain). The only problems I have had with mine have been the Givi brake light kit for the top case stopped working after a few months, after adding the key set for all three cases the handle on the E52 won't stay down (the keys didn't have any instructions with them) and the retaining straps on one of the V35 cases keep coming loose. Screws just don't hold onto plastic very well.

Overall I have been happy with my Givi purchases. A lot of people have purchased the JC Whitney top case and been very happy with that one.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 08:36 AM

My shad rack/box works well but their shipping does need to be improved. My box with the Shad rack was also crushed and missing hardware. They got me the missing parts within a few days.

The hard luggage box was not damaged in shipping, only the rack's package.

GelSeat
HB Engine Bars

Shad 40 Trunk w/Top Rack
Shad Topmaster Bracket
Motowerk Mirror Extenders
Motowerk Standard Flatfoot

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

I called today and found out that the rack is being shipped directly from Shad in Florida. The lady I talked to at Premier Cycle is going to see if she can get me a tracking #. She also said that lately people have not been happy with the condition products show up in after using UPS. Now after sitting for the night the case seems to be sort of taking it's shape back. Guess if it doesn't come back I'll be contacting UPS. Sounds like I'll have to make sure all the hardware is included with the rack.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 AM

I have bought 4 pair of Givi saddlebags, and several top cases and never been disapointed even by their "cheaper" stuff. I have never seen a Shad case but have read nothing but good stuff about them.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGreenV View Post
My shad rack/box works well but their shipping does need to be improved.
Sounds like its the UPS hub near their shipping point. Shad really needs to address this with UPS if its "common"...

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
See my posts on the second page of this thread. Post # 30, 36, and 38 I believe. I wasn't impressed at all by the Shad side cases. I got what I paid for, if that. I have Suzuki OEM bags on my Bandit, which are Givi 35's and they are much better quality, but smaller and won't hold my XXL helmet. One of my Shad racks was scraped when I got them as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode