Tire Suicide/Dumb Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Suicide/Dumb Question

So, I've got stock tires still but they're at the end of their life. (8k miles on them) I'm looking at jumping on the Michelin PR3 or PR4 bandwagon. My concern is, I have a big road trip coming up. I'll be riding from VA to CA and it will all be boring interstate. I like the appeal of the PR4 being 20% hard down the center. My question is, is this trip going to break these tires in, in a poor way. My normal riding is 80% twisty back roads, 20% city. I'd hate to put new tires on and then wear them down poorly by putting 3500 highway miles on them. My chicken strips will be huge still when I'm done When this trip is over I wanna be able to jump on the twisties without have squared tires ya know what I mean? Maybe these are the irrational fears of a noob. Your input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Irrational rear. I notice squared off tires most when I go from them to nice new tires. Wearin' off the middle has no affect on the tires ability to corner.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM

Doesn't sound like you have much choice. You can't head cross country in those old tires.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:44 PM

....or you could go for the Shinko 009s just for this trip. Virginia to Cali about 3000 miles one way, so you will have 6000 when you're done. You can change to PR3 or 4 after that if you don't like the 009's performance. ( I am not connected with Shinko. I just use them all the time.) Where in VA are you?

Gerald
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm in Northern VA. Fairfax.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:24 PM

That'll square off any tire.

Sorry..

Hooligan
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Irrational rear. I notice squared off tires most when I go from them to nice new tires. Wearin' off the middle has no affect on the tires ability to corner.
I, on the other hand, seem to be more sensitive to squared off tires. My rear PR3 has about 9k miles on it and I feel the squared middle every time I turn a corner in the city and it feels a little more squirrley on the highway too. Maybe it's all in my head, but I recently started lacking confidence when doing city speed right hand turns. I checked the rear tire and there's a very noticeable corner on the rear tire. FWIW, I also got about 9k miles out of the PR2 I had on there previously.

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
So, I've got stock tires still but they're at the end of their life. (8k miles on them) I'm looking at jumping on the Michelin PR3 or PR4 bandwagon. My concern is, I have a big road trip coming up. I'll be riding from VA to CA and it will all be boring interstate. I like the appeal of the PR4 being 20% hard down the center. My question is, is this trip going to break these tires in, in a poor way. My normal riding is 80% twisty back roads, 20% city. I'd hate to put new tires on and then wear them down poorly by putting 3500 highway miles on them. My chicken strips will be huge still when I'm done When this trip is over I wanna be able to jump on the twisties without have squared tires ya know what I mean? Maybe these are the irrational fears of a noob. Your input is appreciated.
Buy yourself a cheap tire for the trip and just take it off and throw it away when you get back. That's better than wearing out an expensive tire on the interstate.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
I'll be riding from VA to CA and it will all be boring interstate... I'd hate to put new tires on and then wear them down poorly by putting 3500 highway miles on them.
Go with your car instead.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 12:29 AM

I don't know how the heck you got 8k out of the stock Dunlops. I was showing steel at 5k. Regardless, I'm very happy with the Shinko 009s I'm running now.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:04 AM

As has been said, any tire is gonna get squared off if you're slabbing it across the country. And you can certainly corner on a squared tire, but handling isn't as nice.

There are lots of great tires out there, and your next tire won't be your last tire. You may need a new rear tire when you return from your trip (are you returning from your trip?). If not sooner.

Don't know what your plans are but there some nice roads to ride out west. Have fun.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
Regardless, I'm very happy with the Shinko 009s I'm running now.
I am too. This might be a good time to experience a different tire. I would plan on that trip using up your rear tire. You will still be able to corner with a squared tire, but why would you want too? The performance would be compromised.

On top of that, driving at steady highway speeds for thousands of miles really wears a tire more than say, local straight line riding. I remember riding from Orlando to Poughkeepsie round trip. At the rest stops I would have balled up rubber all over my rear battleaxe.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 AM

Is this going to be a round trip? If so, throw on some cheapies and replace them when you get back to VA. Squared off tires still have good edges on them for curves, but initial effort to lean the bike will require a bit more effort and not give a true progession through the lean, but it should be manageable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 AM
MTS

Use small car.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

This is a 1 way trip on the bike. Due to time constraints, we are freighting our bikes back to VA and spending a week in Napa/San Fran area seeing the sites. Would love to ride back but the man won't let me take that much time off.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Boy you guys get great mileage out of your pr3's. I only managed 5393 miles on the pr3 . I am on to the pr4 now , will see what the mileage will be on this tire all this since Aug. 8 2013
Sides where toasted
pr3

Stock Dunlops 5452 miles, first owner never leaned he went 1348 miles when i bought the bike

Last edited by Motojunkee; 02-22-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Go with your car instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
I don't know how the heck you got 8k out of the stock Dunlops. I was showing steel at 5k....
Got 10,008 miles out of the AZ OEM Dunlop rear, and 11,545 miles out of the OEM front on BIG RED. 36psi F, 42psi R.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 PM

I would put the shinkos on and save the super premium tires for the twisties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode