Droid died so I have a Galaxy S4 now... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Droid died so I have a Galaxy S4 now...

Not really sure where to post this but here goes...

My Droid 3 died after years of good service. I while never mounted it on the bike as the slide out keyboard looked like it was made to break off on a bike I did use it for the GPS at times. I had my Droid in a tank bag and just use the BlueTooth to hear what to do. Only thing was it got very hot at times. I picked up the Galaxy S4 it has no slide out keyboard so I ordered a Ram X mount kit and got a Lifeproof case for it already

I have used a Garmin and while it was nice right now I wouldn't use a "real" GPS enough to toss down the cash on one. I will use the phone though. But I need a good GPS app for it now. I'd like to be able to "Pre-Plan" a trip with waypoints if I can. The only draw back to the Droid was it was hit or miss on trying to change a route, very simple as you'd expect. I don't need a full blown set up but a few optional route would be nice. I go to the app store and there are 100s of GPS app listed and am hoping you guys can save me the headaches and time of looking at each and every one.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM

I used Maverick for a while, but have switched to Locus.

You can build off-line maps, turn-by-turn navigation, or just show a pre-planned track (gpx, kml, etc) on a map as you ride. It's a little difficult to get started with, but its very powerful.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Droid and a "re-manufactured" Garmin GPS unit I just purchased for 40% off (less than $100). The Garmin is 100 times better than the phone. For one thing it includes all the maps so does not have to download them on the fly, it does not use expensive data over your mobile link and it's got a big screen you can see in daylight. It also has voice prompts, traffic forecasts, lifetime map updates, and the version of Garmim software on their dedicated units is more recent and fully featured than what they sell for Android.

Just having a GPS for my bike would not make sense but I use it in the car as well. Another factor for me having a GPS is that I live in a city of close to 1 million. It's too big no know all the side streets and short cuts so a GPS is something I would end up doing a lot more driving without, just trying to get to my destination.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-16-2014 at 06:58 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Both apps I refer to offer #1 and #2 on your list (off-line maps without using mobile data). I use my "retired" phone for this, and it doesn't even have a SIM card or data capabilities. That phone is perfectly viewable in noon-day sun. You can also download statelite maps for a visual indication of the surroundings.

Dedicated GPS's are ususally waterproof and the charging systems are more rebust - to me, that's the main attraction (for me).

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Twowheels, for the number of times I'd use a GPS at this time even at $25.00 a real GPS would be more than I need. I used the loaner I had last year twice. I ended up needing the Droid once due to roads being closed. Most of my long trips I pre plan and have maps, yea I'm a old fart and like maps, of course most of the time I'm close to home and I know my stomping ground. It the mid rage trip I need one for, the 150-200 mile trips that I "Think" I know the lay of the land and end up getting lost on.

Jeff S, I down-loaded Locus and the map pack and will see it I'm smart enough to use it or end up just using Google Maps.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Droid? Galaxy? I haven't heard of them, are they sport bikes? dual sport?
I did get the map reference but don't understand the complications you're all discussing? Hell, I can pick a map up at the local garage!

Sent from my wall mounted, hand cranked phone, through the lovely Betty, our switchboard operator who knows all the party line gossip but keeps it private.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Without meaning to upset anyone, I wonder why people use a smart phone GPS app, which has access to a single cell tower at any one point in time, rather than a GPS which gathers information from several of the 12 or 13 GPS satellites that orbit the earth? Perhaps it's something I simply don't understand.

But then I don't understand why people take pictures with their cell phones, rather than a camera, and then apologize for the poor quality.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Droid? Galaxy? I haven't heard of them, are they sport bikes? dual sport?
I did get the map reference but don't understand the complications you're all discussing? Hell, I can pick a map up at the local garage!

Sent from my wall mounted, hand cranked phone, through the lovely Betty, our switchboard operator who knows all the party line gossip but keeps it private.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Without meaning to upset anyone, I wonder why people use a smart phone GPS app, which has access to a single cell tower at any one point in time, rather than a GPS which gathers information from several of the 12 or 13 GPS satellites that orbit the earth? Perhaps it's something I simply don't understand.
Any modern-ish smart phone uses GPS sensors just like a dedicated GPS unit does, and they get essentially the same accuracy. As I said earlier - a SIM card and thus data or cell connection is completely unnecessary for phone / app based mapping. Here's a random photo from the interwebs showing a pretty standard satellite view in an android app:

I choose to use a phone for mapping because I already owned the hardware, and didn't want to buy another 'single use' device. Dedicated GPS's do have advantages, so others make different decisions.

Cheers, Jeff

|
|

2010 Versys
Givi wind screen

Last edited by Jeff S; 02-19-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: changed images to a better example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode