Road Trip Suggestions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Road Trip Suggestions

I am trying to plan a ride with a couple friends sometime in August. We live in Michigan and last year we rode all the way up to Copper Harbor in the upper peninsula (1500 miles roundtrip). It will be hard to beat that ride by staying in Michigan, so we are looking to venture out of state. We only have 4 days so the ending destination shouldn't be more than 5-6 hundred miles. We are looking for a scenic and overall relaxing ride. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 PM

specific: finger lakes, western NY
general: there are mountains to your east and south, enough to fill many short trips

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 PM

West Virginia or Southeast Ohio offer the best riding within a day of Michigan.

Option one would be to ride to SE Ohio on day one, spend two days exploring leisurely, and then ride home on day four. Anywhere in the triangle between I-70, I-77 and the Ohio River is good.

Option two, if you want to push a little harder, ride to West Virginia and get to the real mountains in the eastern part of the state: Route 250 near the Va.-W.Va. border, U.S. 33, Seneca Rocks area, even portions of U.S. 50 are beautiful and entertaining, up and down the ridges from Marlinton to Blackwater Falls State Park, or venture down to the New River Gorge.

Here are some photos to whet your appetite and more on West Virginia, including some of my all-time favorites.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.

Last edited by motociclista; 02-15-2014 at 09:52 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM

Nice, Lance!
Might be a little, umm, sticky in August though, right?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlvnearly View Post
I am trying to plan a ride with a couple friends sometime in August. We live in Michigan and last year we rode all the way up to Copper Harbor in the upper peninsula (1500 miles roundtrip). It will be hard to beat that ride by staying in Michigan, so we are looking to venture out of state. We only have 4 days so the ending destination shouldn't be more than 5-6 hundred miles. We are looking for a scenic and overall relaxing ride. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Another suggestion - ride west, then hop on the Lake Michigan Ferry (in either Muskegon or Ludington) , and take it to Wisconsin. Then, once in Wisconsin, either twisty road riding in south western Wisconsin (the driftless area) see http://www.madisonbmwclub.org/gr3-relief , or take a laid-back ride up the Lake Michigan coast and tour the Door Peninsula http://doorcounty.com/ for site seeing, eating, hiking, swimming, etc.

West Virginia is good too. My fav twisty road there is Hwy 33 from Elkins, WV west => to Harrisonburg, VA.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Nice, Lance!
Might be a little, umm, sticky in August though, right?
"Sticky" is definitely a possibility in August, even more so in SE Ohio than up in the mountains of eastern W.Va.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
West Virginia is good too. My fav twisty road there is Hwy 33 from Elkins, WV west => to Harrisonburg, VA.
Yep, ride 33 east and then back west on 250, or vice versa, for a great loop. Though really, you can't go wrong in that area, no matter which road you choose. The east-west routes cross the ridges and have the hairpins and altitude changes, while the north-south (or northeast-southwest) routes follow the valleys for gentler curves. Great riding.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM

Unfortunately, from where you are you either have to cross Ohio or Indiana. Major boredom. The suggestions for WV are good ones. You also don't have to go far into PA if you head across N. Ohio to hit some mountains and fun roads and good scenery. Or a long day of riding down I-75 will get you to the Smoky Mountain area, Deal's Gap and just too many fun roads to mention.

2003 Honda RC51
2006 Honda CRF450R
2008 Kawasaki KLX450R
2009 Kawasaki Versys

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM

May be a bit far but a beautiful area and GREAT riding...Suches GA in the north GA mountains. Two Wheels of Suches is open again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode