Battery life? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Battery life?

I just picked up one of these http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...ame=94026717CA from my local O'Reilly for my lawn mower, but out of curiosity I stuck it on my Versys battery to see if it needed any charging. It did. I had ridden it to class not one hour earlier (class is not that far away).

It seemed like the motorcycle battery took longer to charge than the lawn mower battery that's been sitting for 4 or 5 months. It's about 2 years old. It's the battery that came with the bike. Pretty sure it's lead acid. Bike has about 8 thousand miles on it. Gets ridden pretty regularly.

Is two years about par for a V battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My bike is stamped as a 07 and I brought it 09 and still in stock battery and 40, 000 km on clock and still running fine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM

Batteries will last a long time if not allowed to discharge completely. The battery in my KLR is more than 5 years old Yuasa AGM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM

I've gotten long life from all my OEM batteries, mostly Yuasa. In the winter, I bring them indoors and charge with a trickle or Battery Tender overnight about once a month. During the summer, I usually plug in the Battery Tender if I'm not going to ride for a few weeks. Most all of my batteries have lasted 6-7 years.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Never have put my batteries on trickle charge or removed even when being parked up for 3 to 5 months some winters but I still usually start them up and give the bike a run once a month, the gravel drive is 650m long.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Never have put my batteries on trickle charge or removed even when being parked up for 3 to 5 months some winters but I still usually start them up and give the bike a run once a month, the gravel drive is 650m long.
Glad that's been working for you, but as an FYI, for what it's worth, starting the bike once in a while doesn't charge the battery sufficiently; the rpms have to be at running rpms to charge it. (Although, if you're running yours up and down your drive for a bit, that may be getting the rpms and operating temperature up). Also, starting it in the cold weather without actually riding it doesn't allow the condensation to burn off. Water=bad.

At least that's the way I was taught. I tuck 'em in for the winter with stable in the gas, full tank. Lube on the chain, batteries tended indoors, and dream about warm weather!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Glad that's been working for you, but as an FYI, for what it's worth, starting the bike once in a while doesn't charge the battery sufficiently; the rpms have to be at running rpms to charge it. (Although, if you're running yours up and down your drive for a bit, that may be getting the rpms and operating temperature up). Also, starting it in the cold weather without actually riding it doesn't allow the condensation to burn off. Water=bad.

At least that's the way I was taught. I tuck 'em in for the winter with stable in the gas, full tank. Lube on the chain, batteries tended indoors, and dream about warm weather!
Yep I agree with you about looking after battery, ive just had a good run being lazy, my friend on his z750 done everything right and took battery out over winter and battery tendered but the battery is now shot. So must depend on how good of quality the battery is.

When I park one of my bikes over winter I still give it a sneaky ride around the block which is about 7km in the country.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 PM

Yeah, no matter what you do, sometimes you just get a bad one that only lasts 2 years or so. I've been fortunate!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neviander View Post
... Is two years about par for a V battery?
Not in MY opinion. OEM battery in my '08, bought in Sept '08, now w/ 49,000 miles. OEM battery in my '09, bought as a "left-over" in Nov '10, now w/ 40,000 kms, but don't expect the same life as the '08 battery BECAUSE of the two years in inventory....

BOTH batteries spend half the year (DIFFERENT half, tho'...) out of the bike, connected to a 'float charger' (Schumacher) thru a timer, ON for 15 minutes daily, in the garage (BC one) or the house in air-conditioned comfort (AZ one).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode