packjack - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
packjack

I'm doing a 7000 km trip in May so I need some way of raising the rear wheel to lube the chain, so I bought a Packjack .
Friendly people and good service.

Rear wheel off the ground enough to turn it

I'll let you know in June how happy I am with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cool. Smart design and easy to use. All the way from Canada.

So you're using it at its lowest setting? You could go 2 holes higher, so it could actually be cut and made even more compact.

Last edited by invader; 02-12-2014 at 07:51 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking of investing in one of these so I can lube my chain on the long, multiple day trips. Is that the adjustable one that isn't on the website? Just call to order that one? The one shown on the site doesn't appear to have the adjustment.

Let us know how you like it after you've used it for a bit!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Cool. Smart design and easy to use. All the way from Canada.

So you're using it at its lowest setting? You could go 2 holes higher, so it could actually be cut and made even more compact.
Wouldn't that make it less stable? I'd be afraid more leverage against the point where it makes contact would eventually bend or break. And if you had cut it, and it fails Pack Jack isn't gonna back it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 AM

If you are handy with simple tools, you could do what I did. I took a piece of PVC pipe, cut it to the correct length, made a "saddle shaped" cut in the top. For added strength, I epoxied a wood dowel inside the pipe. But it worked fine with out it. It's very light weight, and inexpensive. It also serves as a storage unit for emergency repair materials. I wraped about 5 feet of electrical tape around it to be used for potential electrical repairs. And I used a few rubber bands to lash several zip ties to it. I also lash a mini bungee cord to it, that I used to compress the front brake lever, before propping up the bike on the PVC stand. I also lock the steering head when I do this. It keeps the bike from rolling off the prop stand. All this, and it takes up very little space in my smallish Givi hard bags. I've been using this for years. Works great.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Great idea, Trialsguy!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
If you are handy with simple tools, you could do what I did. I took a piece of PVC pipe, cut it to the correct length, made a "saddle shaped" cut in the top. For added strength, I epoxied a wood dowel inside the pipe. But it worked fine with out it. It's very light weight, and inexpensive. It also serves as a storage unit for emergency repair materials. I wraped about 5 feet of electrical tape around it to be used for potential electrical repairs. And I used a few rubber bands to lash several zip ties to it. I also lash a mini bungee cord to it, that I used to compress the front brake lever, before propping up the bike on the PVC stand. I also lock the steering head when I do this. It keeps the bike from rolling off the prop stand. All this, and it takes up very little space in my smallish Givi hard bags. I've been using this for years. Works great.
Pix??!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Pix??!!
Sure, when I get home tonight.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Sure, when I get home tonight.
Thanks!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I never knew about the PackJack until a couple years ago. This is what I used on my ER6N back then (before I picked up a rear stand).
http://youtu.be/iyYuY34uVM8
I like the idea of setting the front brake and locking the steering. I didn't do that, but only used my prop on a level garage floor. When I posted this video on another forum some of the members freaked out, haha. "OMG, don't DO that, don't you know how weak a 1X2" piece of wood is?", "Your bike could easily slide off that piece of wood, or worse yet, roll forward", etc. Most of these comments were from PackJack users. Seriously, you're only lifting the bike like a half inch, the catastrophic result of the wood shattering would be that the tire would drop a half inch, and I would have to continue cleaning and lubing the chain by rolling the bike.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM

I've got a packjack i bought from a member of this site. For use to clean my chain when parked in a city environ it is worth its weight in gold. The one downside is that if you have to use it while parked on a street that slopes slightly towards the curb (ie. most streets) it helps to have someone chock their foot against the sidestand whilst engaging it. I've had it sort of slip out to wind up with a fully engaged packjack and a bike just slighty further away from me and solidly on the ground. This could also have something to do with my flatfoot. I always lock my front brake with a little band of velcro i keep on her for this and other reasons. Patching a tire between parked cars in midtown? No problem. And it fits nicely in my topcase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Now with photos!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z9.JPG (82.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg z8.JPG (88.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg z7.JPG (128.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg z3.JPG (129.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg z4.JPG (141.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg z5.JPG (137.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg z 1.JPG (141.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg z2.jpg (113.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg z6.JPG (94.6 KB, 141 views)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:07 AM

I have a packjack too, it works pretty good, but it helps if you're on a rough surface, it tends to slip on a concrete floor, not that it's unusable, just easier to use if you have it on a rougher surface. For the amount of space it takes up in my top case, it's well worth it.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I'm thinking of investing in one of these so I can lube my chain on the long, multiple day trips. Is that the adjustable one that isn't on the website? Just call to order that one? The one shown on the site doesn't appear to have the adjustment.

Let us know how you like it after you've used it for a bit!
I emailed him (I'm in Australia) but yes just tell him you want the adjustable one (in fact he told me the adjustable one was right for the V). And yes he hasn't got it on the website yet. You also need to tell him axle or spools, the one I have won't go under the axle.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Now with photos!!!
Thank you sir for taking the time to post photos. Gives me ideas....
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM
MTS

Quote:
+1 My two brain cells that are left, are now rubbing together also! Wish I had taken better care of self when younger didn't know I'd live this long!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Also, with the overall length at 14 inches (13 3/4" to the bottom of the indent) as shown in the photo, this prop works well on both hard and soft parking surfaces. When I'm camping, my parking spot is dirt (which is softer than concrete or asphalt), and I align the prop more vertical. That way a stock sized tire will clear the ground easily. When I use it on pavement, I angle it slightly, slanting forward, so that the rear tire clears the ground 1/4" or so, but is not so high that the bike appears "tippy".

I don't believe that there is a lighter, stronger, less expensive, user friendly, lift design out there. Hmmm... maybe one made from a carbon fiber tube... nah, too expensive. Besides, on a long trip, a carbon fiber tube packed in my bag, could rub a hole in my rain gear or something.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I emailed him (I'm in Australia) but yes just tell him you want the adjustable one (in fact he told me the adjustable one was right for the V). And yes he hasn't got it on the website yet. You also need to tell him axle or spools, the one I have won't go under the axle.
Thanks very much for the info!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 AM

I'm using one I made for the KLR, allthread, steel tubing, wingnut and hexnuts. Wingnut doublenutted on top of the allthread serves as cradle. All thread slides inside of steel tubing. Nut below double nut serves as adjustment. Can't remember the size but about 3/8", I just played around 'til I found some allthread that would fit inside some steel tube.

I believe that Eagle Mike, the guy that makes the doohickey for the KLR and a bunch of other stuff makes a very nice one as well.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM

I should say too, when I ordered it I ordered the wrong one and he actually called me to let me know that and make sure that I got the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode