Motorcycle Accident Scene Management - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Motorcycle Accident Scene Management

Just getting started an EMT course and this is in our curriculum. Its a ten minute read and hopefully you will never use it, but, if you do come across an accident scene with bikes involved you might want to know a few basics when and how to remove a full face helmet...Lot of good info here..Knowledge is power and to not know anything if you did happen upon a scene would suck...My instructor says we will be responding on 12 to 28 bike calls a month So take a minute... Might want to print it out and throw it in your tank bag...Good riding to all...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Accidents.html

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working

Last edited by contractor; 08-27-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 PM

Def. good reading contractor!
Hope I never need to use it. I used to be certified in BLS when I worked in the engineering dept. at a hospital, but fortunatly I never needed to use it.

Good reading for all who ride!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 PM

It's a hard thing to have to think about but I'm glad you posted it.
Since you took the time to do this I'll go ahead and read it just in case, god forbid, some ride I am on with friends/family goes badly.

Thanks for lookin' out for us.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks! Great advice!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:16 AM

Good reference ... might also add that carrying a space blanket can provide either warmth or shade if help is coming from some distance. Consider that pavement can become quite hot in the summer months and I have seen patients burned from prolonged exposure to the pavement.

Be careful with the raising of feet recommendation as this can cause problems with head injuries -- it increases intercranial pressure exacerbating internal head bleeds.

As mentioned try to have as much medical history -- particularly any drugs being used as we will need to deal with potential drug interactions. And, monitor the patiemts mental status as this is extremely important, If the patient suffered any lapse of consciousness, deteriorated mental status, head injury, arterial bleeds, let 911 know as this may prompt a helicopter transfer if there is a transport distance issue -- always provide mile marker info. Get in the habit of noting these as you ride. Also, if you have GPS, 911 can relay this into to the FD.

Finally, we often do not remove the helmet in a compromised patient unless the airway or breathing become problematic --as bad as a patient might look, the most important thing you can do is maintain the airway and breathing. If the airway becomes blocked due to blood or vomit, you will likely not have any suction device and you may need to roll the patient onto his side to clear the airway. Do this with a minimum of three people; two+ on body and one holding head. The person at the head calls the action and in unison, keeping the spine in line, roll the person -- your goal is to keep the spine as straight as possible.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 AM

Thanks, Contractor.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 AM

Thanks for the great information, unfortunately some of us may need to use it at some time.
Minimize the injury, gear up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 PM

thanks for these information
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
Just getting started an EMT course and this is in our curriculum. Its a ten minute read and hopefully you will never use it, but, if you do come across an accident scene with bikes involved you might want to know a few basics when and how to remove a full face helmet...Lot of good info here..Knowledge is power and to not know anything if you did happen upon a scene would suck...My instructor says we will be responding on 12 to 28 bike calls a month So take a minute... Might want to print it out and throw it in your tank bag...Good riding to all...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Accidents.html
Here is a web site for a course in accident scene management for those who are not into becoming an EMT. It is aimed at the average person who happens to ride a motorcycle.

http://www.accidentscene.org/

I've been on a couple of rides where someone crashed. All of the people were wearing the proper gear and the worse injury was a broken collar bone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode