Twin f650gs or Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Twin f650gs or Versys

HI All,

Choosing between The twin f650gs and the Versys. I like the idea of ABS which the Versys doesn't offer. The Versys looks Sweet an reliable. With the low muffler it doesn't seem like it would be as good off-road. There is a huge price difference between them. Part of me feels like I'm just paying the difference just for the brakes. If they end up saving my ass though its worth it!!! Any feedback is welcome!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 AM

OK so you don't have the ABS option in your neck of the woods.. that may change with the new version of the Versys which is rumoured to be coming real soon now.

Ultimately its your choice. if you think ABS is a good tick box to have, then go for the tractor, otherwise I'd pocket the saving and go for the Versys. as you have pointed out there is a price differential and Im not convinced that that differential is justified. one thing to bear in mind is that a tractor will probably have a better residual value than a Versys when it comes to selling the bike.

in terms of performance I doubt there will be a huge difference, dunno because I've never ridden a trator it down to my prejudice....

one oif the guys on the versys.co.uk forums MSut01 has recently traded in is Versys for a BeeEm, forget which model but I think it might have been the 800. his comments were that he didint' see a great deal of difference in terms of performance, yes there were differences but nothign spectacularly different between the two.

ultimately its your money, its your choice. the jury is out on whether ABS is 'the' option to have. I see more and more manufacturers are supplying bikes with ABS as an option. Personally I don't think ABS is as a must have as on a car, ABS is only going to help in certain circumstances.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a simple test. Look at this picture:

Does that look like a road you want to ride?

If the answer is yes then I would go with the GS. There are no real dirt tires available for the V and its 17" front. You can see from my tracks that I just tasted some sand. Its the first time I wish I had a different bike. Of course it was on street tires and the same tires on a GS would yield the same result. But at least on the GS I could have had dirt tires easily.

No dirt? Buy the V.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 AM

I would take a Versys over an F650GS as long as I wasn't planning any real offroad.........if there was offroad plans, then I'd go with the beemer (although, truth be told, I'd get the F800GS or a KTM 990 Adventure .....and yes, I know they cost more).

2 pennies,

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

...and insurance is twice as much for the Versys.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex74 View Post
...and insurance is twice as much for the Versys.

Unless you are very young or have a really bad driving record, there is no reason for that. Based on casual reading here, most of us don't pay more for the Versys than any other bike we've had. Shop around for better rates.

Gustavo

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Oldie but goodie.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreoYlnlVQw

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

I'll do that Gustavo. I've had moto insurance with progressive for years and that is who gave me the quote.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Resale value is much better with the BEEMER. My old 2001 F650GS has a higher blue value than a 2 years old Versys.

Oh and you can get real dirt tires for the Versys so I wouldnt worry to much about that.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM

I just sold my 2001 single f650gs dakar and bought a lightly used 2008 versys. I test drove the 800gs but wasnt impressed. I agree that the BMW is the preferred off roader, but for all other purposes and price, the versys is the way to go.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
Oh and you can get real dirt tires for the Versys so I wouldnt worry to much about that.
Most that I have found for the front require modifying the height of the stock fender. Even then your usually mounting a tire designed for the rear to the front. The Pirelli MT60 Corsa supermoto rain race tire is the only one that really fits and that has very short life span at a high cost. Am I missing something?

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
Here is a simple test. Look at this picture:

Does that look like a road you want to ride?

If the answer is yes then I would go with the GS. There are no real dirt tires available for the V and its 17" front.
You can see from my tracks that I just tasted some sand.
Its the first time I wish I had a different bike.
Of course it was on street tires and the same tires on a GS would yield the same result. But at least on the GS I
could have had dirt tires easily.

No dirt? Buy the V.
Love that picture & the explanation!!

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I called around. I am 35, good credit, married, home owner with clean driving record. The Versys is 50-100% higher than the beemer depending on the insurance carrier.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Most that I have found for the front require modifying the height of the stock fender. Even then your usually mounting a tire designed for the rear to the front.
Nope your not missing anything, if you really want to ride in the dirt thatís what you would do. Thatís what I am doing, on the cheap end of that mod you could just raise the front fender with simple hardware from Home Depot for probably less then $30. On the more expensive end you could run dual brake lines, a supermoto fender, etc. Either one of the mods will not prevent the bike from having sport tires remounted for use as a sport bike (SuperMoto). I think the V should have come this way from the factory but it is what it is.

Quote:
I called around. I am 35, good credit, married, home owner with clean driving record. The Versys is 50-100% higher than the beemer depending on the insurance carrier.
Crazy isnt it?

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks GTI, I was just making sure that I was not missing anything. I love my V. Don't get me wrong. I just want to do some dirt riding that involves less dirt tasting. I realize that the mod is easy and relatively cheap (new brake lines are the big cost here), but some people would be scared off from this kind of mod.

Steve

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I realize that the mod is easy and relatively cheap (new brake lines are the big cost here), but some people would be scared off from this kind of mod.
Yeah I installed dual brake lines this weekend. It took forever to bleed that Kawasaki Master! I almost broke down and bought a Mighty-Vac but after what seemed like an hour of pumping the air finally made its way out. They are rock solid now. Im still waiting on the other parts to prepare for giganto front tires.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:08 PM

Not to be rude and I hate to sound like a broken record, but there is way more to a dual sport than tires or a fender and the BMW is a better (not great) off road bike. The Versys CAN go all kinds of places (been on some myself ) but it isn't very good off pavement IMO.

The KLR is light years ahead of the V in the dirt and I consider it barely adequate when the going gets a little rough.

YMMV

2 pennies,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:22 PM

I traded a 2009 KLX250s for my Versys. I hardly ever rode the 250 off the road,(when I did it handled it extremly well!) and have no interest for my V to go off road, even gravel is questionable unless no choice. The key here is, weather considered a dualsport, which it's not, the V is a great sport bike for the street, if you have that many off road type surfaces in your riding zone then i would probably go for something designed for that road surface. You will have less mods. done to your bike to adapt it to something it reallly wasn't designed for and this will keep your overall investment in the bike to a reasonable amount. If you add the costs of all the mods you would need to the bike to get it where you want it, see what that dollar amount adds up to as compared to the BMW.
Just my long winded 2 cents worth.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I am on my second year with Gieco - both premiums were $103 for the year. Full coverage.

I am 43, married, crappy credit, own my home and vehicles, good driving record. I here alot of stories about how much the insurance is. I thought for sure they would increase my amount when i renewed my insurance over the phone. But not word was mentioned by the sales rep. So i guess i got lucky. I was surprised my insurance rate was exactly what i was paying for my 03 Honda ACE (cruiser).

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Gieco said 600.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode