Speedometer/Odometer Accuracy - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Speedometer/Odometer Accuracy

With stock sprockets front and rear how accurate is the V's Speedometer & Odometer ? What size sprocket in the rear would make the two instrument closer to perfect ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:15 PM

The speedo is about 5 mph slow. A 16t front sprocket makes it almost dead on accurate.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Depending on speed and rear tire wear, speedometer error with stock 15/46 sprockets is about +8%, and odometer is close to accurate. When switching to a 16 front sprocket, gearing is raised by 6.67% (+6.98% with 43 rear sprocket), reducing speedometer error to about +1, and increasing odometer error to about -7%.

Last edited by invader; 08-23-2009 at 11:27 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:32 PM

I can confirm what Invader is saying, having checked my speed against the GPS a few times.

It makes me wonder if maybe the bike was originally designed around a 43t rear and they changed it at the last minute to add a little more low speed giddyup to impress the magazine reviewers.

Most vehicles seem to be within that 3% region.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 PM

With my 43T sprocket, the speedometer is dead-on accurate to my GPS. About ~5-6mph off with stock gearing.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xo0oM View Post
With my 43T sprocket, the speedometer is dead-on accurate to my GPS. About ~5-6mph off with stock gearing.
At what speed is that at? Which rear tire do you have, what's its psi and mileage? Some have noticed that it depends on ambient temperature too...

Last edited by invader; 08-23-2009 at 07:44 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM

At about ~45 mph is what I tested it at yesterday. Stock tire @ ~35psi, 3000 miles.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 PM

how far is it off

I have seen from posts that the Versys (and other motorcycles) have errors in the speedometer (e.g., speedometer says 40mph but really only traveling at 36mph). For a stock Versys, does anyone have some numbers for actual speed when the speedometer says 40mph, 50mph, 60mph and 70 mph?

I know I could have my wife follow me but ...

• Black Firstgear Mesh-Tex 2.0 Pants + Y/B Fieldsheer Air Tour Mesh Jacket + N/S Deluxe All Season Cover X-Large + Evolution 4 Disc Lock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbum View Post
I have seen from posts that the Versys (and other motorcycles) have errors in the speedometer (e.g., speedometer says 40mph but really only traveling at 36mph). For a stock Versys, does anyone have some numbers for actual speed when the speedometer says 40mph, 50mph, 60mph and 70 mph?

I know I could have my wife follow me but ...
After comparing with my GPS I found the speedometer to be off by 10%.

Reading 25, actual 23
Reading 40, actual 36
Reading 60, actual 54
Reading 70, actual 63
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Mines dead on, with stock gearing.

(I have a speedohealer installed)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Ok this is my theory. The Speedo and Odo are connected to the same sensor. They are connected to the same computer. And yet somehow the Speedo is high and the ODO is dead on accurate. Huh... lets see is there a reason why having a speed read high might be beneficial? Oh maybe because people test riding it will say how fast it is! And how they can take corners so fast cause it handles so well! This is such a common practice with bike makers that there are products sold to fix this!

In my opinion this is done on purpose. I believe maximum allowable error is only 5% (per wikipedia), so I'm sure some lawyer could make some money off of it.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM

I am curious about the same thing. Many of you have said the speedo is off but the odometer is dead on. How can the speedo be off by 10% and not the odometer? Older cars used to run both on the same cable. I am aware that kawasaki could program the computer to have one read on and one not, but why. Has anyone checked the odometer via GPS?

p.s. the incentive to run the mph high is to prevent any lawsuits from riders crashing and claiming the bike speedo was low and caused the crash. there is also an incentive to run the odometer high, people will buy new bikes quicker.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Because I do a lot of training for my Iron Butt rides I keep a very close eye on my Speedo/Odo and the GPS. My speedo is a consistent 8% high. My odo varies between 1-2% high. They have programed it so the speedo is high.

Some sample readings from my Great Lakes trip:
Code:
                          GPS    ODO
Duluth -> Thunder Bay     191     192
Tunder Bay -> Marathon    183     186
Narathon -> Chapleau      200     202

Speed
GPS    Speedo
75        81
65        70
55      60/59

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Thanks Steve for the GPS info. Good to know my odometer isnt prematurely devaluing my bike.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:18 AM

I'm certainly no GPS expert, but i believe my GPS only measures lateral distances. Which would not be completely accurate. I notice mine is more erroneous in the mountains due to the elevation changes.

Maybe some do take elevation into account? I do not know.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM

HELP!!!

New to forum and Don't know how to do new post!!!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Alex 74, go to forum's choose the appropriate one and you'll see "New Thread" at the top left, click on that and have at it.

Back to the thread, if you do a search you'll see a load of explanations of why there are differences on the speedo and odometer when you change sprockets.

It has to do with the circumference of the sprocket changing. E.G. the front 16 tooth sprocket is obviously bigger than stock 15 tooth. Therefor the electronic sensor that monitors the front sprocket, sees a change in revolutions.

In the Versys case, going with a 16 tooth sprocket on the front, lowers the revs, makes the speedo almost 100% accurate (from being about 6% optimistic as others have said). Odometer that was almost 100% accurate now under-reads about 6%.

Bottom line, your ride will smooth out at freeway speeds, your mpg will get slightly better, but your mpg will appear slightly worse.

Machog

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
I'm certainly no GPS expert, but i believe my GPS only measures lateral distances. Which would not be completely accurate. I notice mine is more erroneous in the mountains due to the elevation changes.

Maybe some do take elevation into account? I do not know.
I have tested this with three Garmin gps' and this is the same with all three of mine.
Nuvi 360, 12XL, and Vista HCx.

Trying to track mileage with a gps, other than when on a flat road will result in error.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Yes altitude does induce some error with GPS measurements. You will notice in my log that the shortest distance has the greatest error. This was also the section with the most elevation change. But those were just examples. I live in Minnesota. For those not familiar with it were not exactly known for our mountains. Trust me the ODO is very accurate. It is very consistent with my GPS.

Another Example:
Code:
                          GPS   ODO
Erie, PA to Duluth MN    1015  1025

Steve

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM

So, is there a fix for the error? Can the shop recalibrate the speedo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode