Front Stand / Wheel off - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Front Stand / Wheel off

I want to buy a front stand for wheel removal and other maintenance,. here's my question. What type/brand can be used to lift the front end and still allows you to remove the axle ?? I'm finding out some types have pins that sit in the recessed holes at the bottom on each fork tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm looking for one as well.
The Redline commercial series front stands specifically mention the Versys and they seem to be solidly built pieces.
That's what I'm leaning towards, anyway.
http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...595259b4dccaa7
Don't forget that you need a rear stand as well.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM

I have a Pit Bull articulating stand that uses a pin in the lower triple clamp. You have to get a #2 pin and a slip-over adapter that makes the pin larger to fit the hole in the Versys. It does not fit all that well, it is a bit loose, but it does not really need to fit tightly to work. I got the pin-type front stand so that I could remove fork legs for maintenance, something that cannot be done with front stands that go into the bottoms of the fork legs. Something to consider. You might spend $200 for a useless stand. I can attest that the stand is extremely stable and very easy and safe to use.

The Pit Bull stand is probably one of the best front stands available, but I honestly think they are over-priced. They unfortunately have the only widely available pin front stand out there. I managed to get one on sale at CycleGear, but you might want to scan your local Craigslist ads. They were going for ~$150 in Atlanta not too long ago.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 PM

I was thinking about trying a T-Rex stand. They seem to get good reviews by users and you can get a front triple tree stand AND a rear stand for about the same as one Pit Bull stand.

Try ebay, the manufacturer sells them on there for a little less than MSRP.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 05:52 AM

T-Rex makes them. I have one and it works very well with the V. http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=47

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
T-Rex makes them. I have one and it works very well with the V. http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=47
X 2!!!
Ed
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Which T-Rex model did you get?
Looking at them is a bit confusing.
What keeps the upper part from pivoting around the pin with the cotter pin through it?
Are any adapters needed on the little pecker that goes up into the triple tree?

I figure at some point I'm going to have to do fork seals so I might as well get that type.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I have one and love it. Very sturdy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontstand.jpg (380.6 KB, 250 views)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 PM

Being too cheap to buy any stand for my Versys, I use a steel pipe heavily wrapped in tape and insert it though the center of the frame. This rests on Jackstands, which are in turn on a crude particle board platform. It's a bit awkward to lift (one side at a time, a couple of jackstand clicks each time), and you need a strong back, but in effect it acts like a centerstand, with the rear wheel off of the ground. I then put my 70 pound craftsman tool box on the passenger seat, which transferrs all of the weight off of the front wheel. Did this when I removed the forks to change to Silkolene Pro RSF 10W oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Center Lift.jpg (164.8 KB, 197 views)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 AM

It sounds like you want a triple tree lift. They make them with a straight handle or a v handle (s or v) and in a bunch of colors. If you order it from ebay the seller states that you need to tell him what bike you have and he'll include the proper pin.

Lou know you need a rear stand too right? If you lift the front end without it on a rear stand it will fall over.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Pit Bull is nice but over priced, I think you can't go wrong with a T Rex stand and the price is better. I use the T Rex up front and love it. I had a Pit Bull left over from racing for the rear but I would never buy that stand again unless I was looking for used and could get it cheap. I think I paid 79 bucks for the T Rex.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
If you lift the front end without it on a rear stand it will fall over.
thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you

Versys newb

Ride em if ya got em!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM

another newb ?

In regards to the t-rex triple tree stand

s or v ? any benefits of one over they other?
it says you can remove the top and just use the bottom but it does not say anything about the fork "lifting grips" am I missing the link.

The wife says I need to get off my butt and do something. So I think I will go to the garage and sit on the new scoot and go vroom, vroom until the 3" of white crap that we got last night melts. lol

thanks again,

versys newb

Ride em if ya got em!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:00 AM

stands

I just got a set off Ebay (front and rear). Got them in 2 days. My first set...work great.

Cb
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysred View Post
I want to buy a front stand for wheel removal and other maintenance,. here's my question. What type/brand can be used to lift the front end and still allows you to remove the axle ?? I'm finding out some types have pins that sit in the recessed holes at the bottom on each fork tube.
See my reply #4 in this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...1344#post71344

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 AM

@Hardware

My understanding is that the v handle is removable. At least that is how I interpret THIS . My big question as stated a couple posts up is. If the top is removable how do you then use it to lift the front? Do they have an adapter for the bottom of the fork tubes? Or the kind that wedges around the tube? I do not see a link on there page so I am hoping someone here knows.

Thanks for your thoughts

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
@Hardware

My understanding is that the v handle is removable. At least that is how I interpret THIS . My big question as stated a couple posts up is. If the top is removable how do you then use it to lift the front? Do they have an adapter for the bottom of the fork tubes? Or the kind that wedges around the tube? I do not see a link on there page so I am hoping someone here knows.

Thanks for your thoughts

Bob
You’re right that it says the V handle is removable but the picture doesn’t look like it is (no bolt) ... but then again, neither does the picture of the Stick handle... As I said in my other post, I’d place the order by phone to make sure you get what you want the first time.

FWIW, I originally decided on the V type because I figured that (with 2 attachment points) it would be stronger... but then I switched the order to the Stick type for its removability (I didn’t see the removable statement on the V until you just pointed it out). However, now that I’ve seen & used the S type I think the strength is a non-issue. It’s plenty strong for the minor load that is needed for the lift and once it’s up the handle plays no part in the support.

When you take the Triple-Tree adapter off, you replace it with the same fork rests that the regular front stand has. I’ve used it both ways and while you could pull the wheel with that one, it’s not as stable & secure and since it’d really suck to knock it off the stand without the front wheel on..., I’d use the Triple-Tree lift for that purpose.

And as I said in my other post:

Assuming you want the Triple Tree Adapter:
Instead of selecting a Front & Rear set and then adding the Triple Tree Adapter, select “Front Triple Tree and Rear Stands” because that package also includes the standard front adapters (handy for quick/light work) and it’s cheaper (okay, it’s only $4 less but what the heck).

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 03-21-2010 at 10:46 AM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 AM

@ Hardware

Thank you very much!
Both my mouth and fingers work faster than my brain and eyes. I totally missed this.....includes the standard front adapters

I will call and order tomorrow. I will probably toss a coin at which removable. handle version.

Thanks yet again for your help.

Bob

Ride em if ya got em!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Just to clarify, I spoke with T-Rex today and they offer either the Stick handle or the V handle versions with fixed or removable handles. You just need to tell them which you prefer. Either style is available with a removable handle.

B-
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
just got my t-rex triple tree stand
if I didn't do it and see it with my own hands/eyes I wouldn't believe it
so simple & easy to use I picked up & lowered the front several times just for the joy of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode