Versys w/abs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys w/abs

Hi everyone I am new to the site. Does the Versys come with ABS? I've had one dealer tell me it is limited to 100 a year and another dealer told me they don't have ABS. The dealer said that since I live in Texas the ABS aren't necessary in a dominately dry climate, but one of the reasons I want this bike is because I want to ride in ALL weather conditions and do some touring. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

You can get a Versys with ABS, UNLESS you live in the U.S. We can't get it here. Where in Texas are you?

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear.
I live in central Austin.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Well alrighty then! There are a few of us Texans riding the almighty Versys. Welcome aboard. We're talking about trying to get together for lunch or something, but distance is an issue. Are you a member of twtex.com?

If you're interested, here's the thread:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4843

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM

ALEX74 & THE BEAR.
Hey dudes another Texan here. Victoria. 09 Blue V had it for about two months and loving it. Alex did allot of research on the bike before I bought it and heard rumors of ABS but I concure with the Bear found out it's only available across the pond both ways, East & West. Was at a bike night at the local dealer and picked a few brains of the real motor heads we have in the group. Most said they prefer a bike with out ABS. Most had ridden both with and with out. One common thread was the ones that were most against it were those that ride the hardest. Made me go hmmmmm. Anyway good luck and be safe.

Last edited by Cyclesurfer; 08-20-2009 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Another thing. The dealer in Austin and San Antonio does NOT do test rides. THat just plain SUX!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Normally I could care less about ABS. I'm thinking this is a bike that could use some because the feel/feedback is so lousy.
Wonder what it would take to get a system from across the pond and retrofit one...

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex74 View Post
Another thing. The dealer in Austin and San Antonio does NOT do test rides. THat just plain SUX!!!

Yep I agree, however sometimes they surprise you! When I was looking for my Versys, I was also considering the Wee Strom. I called all the local dealers & was told "no test rides!" over the phone by every one of them. I wasn't surprised.

So long story short, I went to the closest Kawi dealer to sit on the Versys for a bit, then was planning on heading to the Suzuki dealer & sit on the Wee. I walked in to the store & sat on the Versys. I rolled it back & forth, dismounted & started walking out the door. The sales guy yelled across the store "That's it???"

I answered, "yep, on my way to sit on a Suzuki Wee Strom." Then he said "Wanna ride it?" Needless to say, I was totally shocked! So I rode a brand new, off the show room floor Versys.

I bought it that day. I never did make it to the Suzuki shop...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 AM

Exactly why I don't understand why so many dealers refuse to let you ride a bike that you are looking at. Car dealers know the value of getting you behind the wheel.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Exactly why I don't understand why so many dealers refuse to let you ride a bike that you are looking at. Car dealers know the value of getting you behind the wheel.
Economics. They'll have to sell it as a demo, and won't make much off it. Car dealers have a LOT fewer models, and they also don't take as much of a hit in terms of percentage.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM

ABS on the V?

So... does the V come with ABS and are there only 100 or???
Thanks
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Greetings from a Texan expatriate!

I ride in all weather conditions on my non-ABS Versys.
I'm talking POURING down rain too.
I'm of the opinion that the usefullness of ABS is directly proportional to the weight of the bike. With a Goldwing or big BMW Tourer ABS is probably pretty important.
With my Versys I've shuddered the front a few times coming to a stop in the rain, and the rear briefly in panic situations, but I'm aware enough of my brakes that it wasn't a problem.

As for the '100' figure. Do you mean you were told that there were only 100 per year imported to America? I'm pretty sure there are more V's than that floating around the estados.

This is a pretty popular bike. The Green ones just did not stay on the floor this year.

As far as the test ride, I bought mine used so I did get a test ride.
The handling of the bike, nobody can really complain about.
The power, it's a 650 twin. It's not underpowered, but it won't blow the doors of anything but a Harley.
The brakes, a bit soft but steel brake lines clean that right up.

There's pretty common buzzing in the dash but you're wearing a helmet and earplugs anyway, right? Right?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

THanks Shatrat.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsno View Post
So... does the V come with ABS and are there only 100 or???
Thanks

Not in the USA. I'm not sure where the "100" number came from, but unless you can figure a way to get one from Canada or over seas, there are no Versyses with ABS here in the states.

So... Where are you located?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode