I'm a biker! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm a biker!

I went for a 100KM ride with a couple of motorcycle buddies for the first time. I've only ever ridden by myself. It was so much fun!!!! I finally feel like a "biker". We went to a small town that hosts biker day, and there were a ton of bikes. The Versys got as many looks as the Harley and the other bike. Sweet!

I finally feel like a rider!!! So fun!!!

And I heard about all of these local runs...I can't wait until next year.

I'm so glad I "traded in" the old bike and bought a new Versys. I can finally enjoy riding a motorcycle again!!!!

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM

I've been "RIDING" since 1970, had 9 different bikes and now own a Versys.
For some reason I never considered myself a "Biker" just a rider.
I don't know exactly why, maybe the few rallys I went to, but the term
"Biker" has negative connotations for me. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but it's my personal feeling. To you Bikers out there please accept my apology if I offended you. It's all about the ride, isn't it?
P.S. two of my best riding buddies ride Harleys and they definetly consider themselves "BIKERS".
(probably kick my ass if they read this)

Last edited by Nick; 08-19-2009 at 11:02 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 AM

My take is the ride and what kind of persons you ride with.
There are some A..holes who go for rides too and they can mess up everything.
Get a few genuine biker/rider buddies and the roads you're playground.

Have a Great time biking.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
ride Harleys and they definetly consider themselves "BIKERS".
Don't you mean "PIRATE"?

"One day last week I was riding my bike, I can't remember exactly what day it was, maybe Tuesday, around 3:00pm or was it 4:00pm, not sure but I think it was 3:00pm when I noticed the fuel gauge started blinking, you know the last bar on the bike telling you need to get gas, so I looked for the next gas station, right down the road was two gas stations an Exxon and a BP, both had exactly the same price, so I couldn't decide, so I just picked one, after filling up I continued on my way." --fitz
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis_kreba View Post
I went for a 100KM ride with a couple of motorcycle buddies for the first time. I've only ever ridden by myself. It was so much fun!!!! I finally feel like a "biker". We went to a small town that hosts biker day, and there were a ton of bikes. The Versys got as many looks as the Harley and the other bike. Sweet!

I'm so glad I "traded in" the old bike and bought a new Versys. I can finally enjoy riding a motorcycle again!!!!

Dennis
Sounds like you had a good time, & that's what it's all about.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM

I prefer the term "motorcyclist". You become one when you quit going for "rides" and start using two wheels for everyday transport.

Pick your riding partners carefully. There are two persons who I will ride with. They are competent and safe, and their riding style is much like mine. They maintain their equipment and don't suffer breakdowns, and they are never late or unready. All of this makes for an enjoyable day.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM

Also prefer the term motorcyclist or rider. Biker is not the term i use much. My wife and i have ridden many different motorcycles all over this United States for 40 years and she despises the term "biker" Relates to most of those we don't ride with. Of course if you ride ragbrie on a bicycle then you are a biker i guess. Motorcyclists ride motorcycles. Just the way we clean it up some. Just have a good time. Biker sometimes relates to a bad image unfortunately.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM

+1 on the getting good partners. I have some good friends who own sportbikes, but I never go out on rides with them because I don't like the way they ride (they make fun of me for wearing full gear all the time).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Let them make fun of the full gear. Rode for 40 years with it. I tell the ones that give me a bad time about a full face helmet. Some riders mainly you know who pull up alongside of you to remind you it is a no helmet state. I tell them if they don't have anything valuable to put in a helmet then don't wear one. One gal asked me if my jacket was hot. I told her not near as hot as road rash. Ask my younger EMT friend who picks some up. Only get one chance sometimes so go safe and take the flack that some give. Consider the source

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM

I dont know if I like the term Biker either.
I ride with a LOT of H-D guys and gals. Great people, but when we ride they alway sput on the leather clown suits and "think" they are tougher than they are.

I am not bashing H-D's I have owned 2 in my life time, they have the best Chrome and Paint in the industry. That said I will probbaly never own another one, been there done that.

Example: Bob the talkative, aloof, dorky guy in theaccounting at the office Monday through Friday. And suddenly Bob puts on the chaps and leathers and climbs on his HOG and is instantly transformed into the biker know as "Skid Mark" with the agry face and the bandana on his head. This crowd also like to do frequent poker runs where you are gone for 8 hours going from place to place, bar to bar, but really only riding maybe 1 hour of the 8hrs.

I just dont get it. If you wanna ride then ride, it doesnt matter what you ride as long as you have fun and are safe. Give me a bike any bike, with a full tank and I will head out into the sunset.

**p.s. I dont wanna hear crap about how leathers can protect you and this and that...I am talking about the dudes/chics in big leather boots, jacket, leather gloves, chaps, and riding with out a helmet.. WTF!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to point out the obvious, but the guy was just posting about having a good time & fitting in. Who cares if he used the term "biker". C'mon guys, stop pissing in this man's cheerios & give him a supportive post for a change...

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM

Call me whatever you want...

I put on my gears, go out with guys that I like riding with and to places we all love to ride...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Yep, looks like the thread got hijacked by some Harley bashers.

Dennis, congrats on joining the fraternity of motorcycle riders that aren't ashamed to ride with other riders. I also consider myself a biker. Keep the shiny side up and odometer wheel spinning.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

Dennis
Hey Dennis,
WELCOME from Didsbury, and glad to have you aboard! My "V" is down in AZ so I ride a KLR here.
Keep on havin' fun!
Ed
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post

Yep, looks like the thread got hijacked by some Harley bashers.

Dennis, congrats on joining the fraternity of motorcycle riders that aren't ashamed to ride with other riders. I also consider myself a biker. Keep the shiny side up and odometer wheel spinning.
Haha! Yeah, I didn't really mean anything by the term "biker"...I really just wanted to say that I felt like I was a rider and I was happy to be riding with other riders, not just by myself. And I was thrilled by the experience. That's all.

I do use the bike to commute. Once again, this was my first time actually riding with someone else and spending some time with other people that ride as well. There is a whole community out there that I haven't seen or ridden with.

Cool.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 PM

You really have to watch what you say on some forums. Maybe this is one of them. I hope not. It has to do with some people thinking that everyone has to think like they do and then blathering on endlessly about how they feel you should feel.

My view is if someone wants to ride a certain way, it's their body and their brain. Unfortunately, when they go into a coma and end up a vegetable, my insurance rates go up. I believe you should be able to ride naked if you want, but if you want to ride unprotected, you should have to sign an insurance waiver so the rest of us, who have brains, don't have to pay the price for their stupidity.

Besides, Harley bashing amounts to choosing an easy target.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Haha! Yeah, I didn't really mean anything by the term "biker"...I really just wanted to say that I felt like I was a rider and I was happy to be riding with other riders, not just by myself. And I was thrilled by the experience. That's all.

I do use the bike to commute. Once again, this was my first time actually riding with someone else and spending some time with other people that ride as well. There is a whole community out there that I haven't seen or ridden with.

Cool.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that you already were a biker, rider or whatever you want to call yourself simply because you already own a motocycle and ride. You already are part of the the "biker" community you dont need anyones approval to tell you that. You dont have to dress a certain way or ride a certain brand to be part of the riding community.
Where I live the term "biker" is more discribes someones livestyle than if they actually ride. Maybe I am the only one here that knows several people that wear riding jackets, have motorcycle brand, bumber stickers, clothing, tatoos etc. Yet they done even own a bike yet the are classified by society and self proclaimed "bikers". As long as you are having fun and riding who cares.

The intent/meaning of my post will be misinturpreted as most threads usually are. I'll probably get flamed for this one.

Any way , back on topic. Riding with others is a great way to have fun. I usually alot of fun riding with with someone else but usually perfer to ride alone. Riding with others you will probably lean about alot of cool hidden places to ride (long twisties, scenic routes etc). If you really like riding with people look at joing a riding group. It will be a good way to meet people, learn new things and also can be handy if you need help with repairs etc. More than one occation I have loaned my bike jack out or helped others out without the tools or know how on repairs on their bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode