New Versys - first ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys - first ride

so last fall i traded a Ninja 650 for a 2014 Versys 650abs.
It was delivered on Nov 22 2013 but did not get a chance to ride it due to winter weather.

Yesterday Jan 25 2014 was the first day i took bike out. Was sunny and somewhat warm (12c). The biggest problem i had was the stupid kickstand.
It sure is in an awkward place, the foot peg is in the way. Finally figured out a technique where i fold the footpeg back with my foot to get at that kickstand.

Other than that it went well. I was happy to find the topheavy-ness of the bike wasnt as bad as i thot it would be. Found it to be lighter feeling than the ninja did. Will have to get used to the tallness tho with foot position when stopped.
The footpegs are in the spot where your feet naturally want to go.

looking forward to it getting a bit warmer so i can take it out on a highway run. Want to see how effective the stock windscreen is.

2014 Honda NC750S abs
2014 Yamaha BWS125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 AM

If you want to lower it, I highly recommend Speedy's lowering kit.

Never noticed a placement issue with the kickstand but do remember thinking the footpeg was in the way at a stand still. I must have gotten used to it as it does not bother me the slightest bit!

Enjoy the ride!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknuckle View Post
...The biggest problem i had was the stupid kickstand.
It sure is in an awkward place, the foot peg is in the way. Finally figured out a technique where i fold the footpeg back with my foot to get at that kickstand....
When I got my first V, for quite awhile I had a little "owee" on the front of my left shin from where the footpeg is. Like Capn Kirk - I don't even notice it anymore!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:38 PM
MTS

Never noticed stand placement.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:37 PM

The kickstand issue doesn't occur on the Blue '09 model, the fastest V.

Welcome.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:21 PM

I hadn't really thought about the kickstand/footpeg thing, but I do the same thing.

Congrats on the new bike. I went from an ER6N, that I sold to try the cruiser thing, only to find I really needed a standard type bike. So I got the Versy to replace the Vulcan 900 that I bought after the ER6N. I'm sure you'll find the Versys to be practical and useful as the rest of us have.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM

Doesn't happen with the yellow one either, which apparently is the second fastest.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 PM
RMS

09 green !!!! I must tuck in my shoe laces to keep them from geting cought on the foot peg when i take off from a full stop. and yes plenty oh ouches on my shin for some time,, high top boots helped
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
congrats and ; Ride and you will get use to it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I am sure with a few more km on odo i will get used to it. I hope to be able to take it out this weekend. Only supposed to be around 6c but sunny. Wont go too far. There is a road near home that is wide and has light traffic. I want to practice starts/stops and just getting a feel for the bike without the added pressure of rush hour traffic.

I did notice that the Versys seems to go around corners easier than the Ninja did. And i love the riding position ergo. And much nicer on our (seemingly) cluster bombed rutted potholed streets.

My only regret about the first ride is i wish i had of stayed out longer. I mainly wanted to burn off some old gas and top up with fresh non-ethanol gas. Oh well, just a month or 2 before the decent weather hits. Cant wait.

2014 Honda NC750S abs
2014 Yamaha BWS125
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Garage
I have only been riding for 3 years, but I still go into empty parking lots and practice figure 8's, slow speed turning, start'n stops. heavy breaking, that sort of stuff. I am waiting for my new V650 and can't wait for the snow to melt so I can ride it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM

you start a post about your new versys ??????? NO PIC's your killing me lets see it
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I bought my Ninja 650 in '07. In '08 the Versys came out and I had wished I had waited a year. In '11 I traded the Ninja in for the Versys. The versys just fit me so much better. The Ninja is better for shorter riders. The Versys fit me perfectly and I have had none of the complaints others have had with footpeg, handlebars, kickstand, etc. I did put the vario windscreen on to extend my riding into cooler weather, and a custom seat for those 800 mile days though.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsplitter View Post
you start a post about your new versys ??????? NO PIC's your killing me lets see it
well looks like i wont be riding for a while. This week we getting real winter weather here with temps below normals. Lows of -7 to -11c and highs of only 0c ...by next saturday supposed to warm up a bit and we be back to normal temps. but looks like it will rain for rest of February.

so pix eh? since you asked.

in the store - i ordered bike in October and bike arrived early November
pic is Nov 09 2013

Delivery day is Nov22 - the delay was so they could install engine guard and Givi 33L top box and slider spools

in parking space awaiting warmer (8c+ atleast) weather

last one...the 2 bikes in my sig

2014 Honda NC750S abs
2014 Yamaha BWS125

Last edited by whiteknuckle; 02-03-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknuckle View Post
Want to see how effective the stock windscreen is.
It isn't great. I put up with it for about 33k miles, but I'm glad to have replaced it with an MRA Touring screen.

The stock screen causes buffeting. I think it was best in the stock position, but not great. I think I remember a poll here where a few preferred other positions, but most didn't. A few preferred it removed. That gets rid of the buffeting, but I didn't like the wall of wind effect on the freeway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode