Thrust curve - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thrust curve

I was following a thread on another forum and the topic of shift points came up. I had always heard it didn't make much sense to rev past point of maximum hp, about 8,800 rpm on the Versys. Turns out it is more complicated. What counts it torque and torque multiplication. For instance, torque multiplication in first is 2.438 while in second it is 1.714. Turns out there is no place that the torque to the wheel in second is equal to the torque to the wheel in first so it pays to run 1st all the way to redline even though you are past the peak. In second this is not the case as torque in 3rd equal torque in 2nd at about 9,500. In third the point is 9,200 and fourth around 9,000.

Sometimes it is not the fastest bike but the fastest rider who wins.
waltermitty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,982
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
its not the bike but the rider.
Fastoman is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Freerydejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I never plan shifting my V continuously at 9k.

Hooligan
Freerydejunky is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
LOL no... For maximum acceleration only.
invader is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:09 PM
Member
 
SeattleSlammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I say go to redline just for the nice scream.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
SeattleSlammer is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eugene Or.
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSlammer View Post
I say go to redline just for the nice scream.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, there's nothing quite as beautiful as the sound of a mid sized parallel twin at full song, haha. Well, other than pretty much ANY other motorcycle.
cyclesarge is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Member
 
goat12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
Yeah, there's nothing quite as beautiful as the sound of a mid sized parallel twin at full song, haha. Well, other than pretty much ANY other motorcycle.
lol


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
goat12 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Paeroa, New Zealand
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To complicated. Just ride. Have fun.
kiwitourer is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 AM
Member
 
RockyMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
I was following a thread on another forum and the topic of shift points came up. I had always heard it didn't make much sense to rev past point of maximum hp, about 8,800 rpm on the Versys. Turns out it is more complicated. What counts it torque and torque multiplication. For instance, torque multiplication in first is 2.438 while in second it is 1.714. Turns out there is no place that the torque to the wheel in second is equal to the torque to the wheel in first so it pays to run 1st all the way to redline even though you are past the peak. In second this is not the case as torque in 3rd equal torque in 2nd at about 9,500. In third the point is 9,200 and fourth around 9,000.
That is pretty much what my "seat-of-the-pants-dyno" tells me....
The Versys falls flat right about 9K.... What it does from 6k to 9k works for me!

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
RockyMoto is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Member
 
kawdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
And I thought the title of the thread alluded to some scientific study of pornography!
kawdawg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome