Keep my V or trade for... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Keep my V or trade for...

Currently have an 07 and an 08 V. 07 is going up for sale, but wondering whether to trade both in on something else. Only things that interest me are a new V with ABS, 2013+ strom, or a CB500x. Anyone have experience with all these bikes? Currently leaning towards keeping the 08 V. Way too much time to think and not enough time to ride with all this white crap flying around outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Super Tenere.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Gonna take a bath on the trade-in deal, any way you go. Blame it on Cabin Fever!
There is a guy on here that has a 500x, a 650 Strom, and a Versys.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Gonna take a bath on the trade-in deal, any way you go. Blame it on Cabin Fever!
There is a guy on here that has a 500x, a 650 Strom, and a Versys.
Would love to hear him chime in. I mostly ride secondary hwys with some major hwy rides. 120 km round trip daily commute most of the summer. A little gravel, no off road. Would probably sell the 07 privately as it's got 68000 on the clock, but can trade in the 08 and actually come out even or ahead(got it for a steal).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Super Tenere.
Love it, but it's just too big and bulky for me.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Have you looked into a 700x? That would be the bike if I traded in my V.

Hooligan
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
Have you looked into a 700x? That would be the bike if I traded in my V.
For that sort of bike the one that looks most interesting to me is the NC750X--which it looks like we don't get in the US this year. The NC700X always seemed like it might be a great commuter but hard to tell if I'd enjoy the riding experience.

If I had to buy with no test ride (as we often do here with Japanese bikes) I'd feel a lot safer choosing the 750. With the choices we do get (and no demo rides), I'd be inclined to choose the CB500X over the NC700X.

No Video
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Would love to hear him chime in. I mostly ride secondary hwys with some major hwy rides. 120 km round trip daily commute most of the summer. A little gravel, no off road. Would probably sell the 07 privately as it's got 68000 on the clock, but can trade in the 08 and actually come out even or ahead(got it for a steal).
If it helps - I have 48,500 miles on my '08, and in NO way do I consider it "worn-out".

I had a long 'test-ride' on the NC700X when it came out. Nothing particularly special about it, but for me the "deal-breaker" is the fact that the seat (and ANYTHING strapped across it) needs to be removed/ opened for re-fuelling. I started a thread about it when I rode it.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
For that sort of bike the one that looks most interesting to me is the NC750X--which it looks like we don't get in the US this year. The NC700X always seemed like it might be a great commuter but hard to tell if I'd enjoy the riding experience.

If I had to buy with no test ride (as we often do here with Japanese bikes) I'd feel a lot safer choosing the 750. With the choices we do get (and no demo rides), I'd be inclined to choose the CB500X over the NC700X.

No Video
I'd agree the new 750 is a tad bit better. I've ridden a NC700x, enjoyed it. The gear ratio was a bit wonky at first, but I got use to it really fast as I short shift the V all the time anyways. The 500 is a smaller motorcycle. if you are over 5'8" I feel like you would be cramped almost instantaneously. Forget taking long trips on it.

I've owned a ton of bikes. The only bike I have always kept in my stable is my trusty SV650. The Versys is fantastic, and I am so glad I bought it. Don't see replacing it any time soon. But when I do, the bike that replaces it will have to get a consistent 55mpg or more. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow! I'll be downsizing cc wise probably.

But in the mean time I'll keep buying bikes just for the hell of it. Cause I like riding and romping around on new bikes! Next on the list is a late 90's early 2000, 1200 Sportster (with plans on doing an R1 front suspension and wheel swap as well as a 17" rear wheel) Chop off as much weight as possible. I'm a bit wonky myself.

Hooligan

Last edited by Freerydejunky; 01-25-2014 at 05:50 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerydejunky View Post
I'd agree the new 750 is a tad bit better. I've ridden a NC700x, enjoyed it.
A big thing for me is I'd want ABS, and on the 700 it's bundled with DCT. Maybe I'd love DCT, maybe I wouldn't like it. Without a demo ride safest option might be to skip it. On the 750 ABS you can. In the UK anyway.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
would consider the Honda 750.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post

No Video
Had no idea that there was a 750. looks like it's coming to Canada too. Will have to look into this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 PM

I'd keep the '07 since with that many miles will practically be worthless, and sell the '08. I can't think of any other bike that would be SO much better (for your purposes) that it would be worth putting money toward. So, I'd just look at bikes that were totally different than the V, to fill a different niche than the bike you've already got.

I was kind of in the same position as you. I got the itch to buy a new bike when I inherited enough money I could buy any bike I wanted. But the Versys that I had just bought, did everything I wanted/needed, so I just bought a bike I always thought would be cool to own (ever since 1986 when Cycle World hopped one up), a Harley Sportster.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Even with the manual transmissions, those Hondas just remind my of a super scooter. I can see where they would appeal to new riders, or someone looking for alternative (to a car) transportation, but they've just never struck me as a rider's bike.

The in bike helmet storage (like a scooter) would be cool, but the under seat gassing thing would get old.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post
I'd keep the '07 since with that many miles will practically be worthless, and sell the '08. I can't think of any other bike that would be SO much better (for your purposes) that it would be worth putting money toward. So, I'd just look at bikes that were totally different than the V, to fill a different niche than the bike you've already got.

I was kind of in the same position as you. I got the itch to buy a new bike when I inherited enough money I could buy any bike I wanted. But the Versys that I had just bought, did everything I wanted/needed, so I just bought a bike I always thought would be cool to own (ever since 1986 when Cycle World hopped one up), a Harley Sportster.
There are loads I'd like to own, but I only really have room for one (which is why I have a V). I guess what I was getting at is question re: has anyone found something better as an allrounder?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
There are loads I'd like to own, but I only really have room for one (which is why I have a V). I guess what I was getting at is question re: has anyone found something better as an allrounder?
Well, then maybe you need to think about where you feel the Versys is deficient. There are many bikes that do one thing or another better than the V. It's just a matter of what you are looking for in a bike.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 11:39 AM
Banned

Exclamation

I think the idea to keep the 07 & sell the 08 (at a profit!) is a great idea.
Run the 07 into the ground & keep the money in the bank from the 08 while adding to the "new bike fund"
(which could be years) & then decide again, because the alternatives suggested so far are inferior machines to the Versys!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM

I can't disagree with anybody above. Though, I don't think you need 2 Versys 650s. Why not trade one for something completely different? a nice dirtbike perhaps, or how about a late 70s Honda CB as a little café project? The world of motorcycling is huge.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
I can't disagree with anybody above. Though, I don't think you need 2 Versys 650s. Why not trade one for something completely different? a nice dirtbike perhaps, or how about a late 70s Honda CB as a little café project? The world of motorcycling is huge.
It sounds like 2 bikes are out of the question for the O.P.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Ya, the intention wasn't to keep both V's in the first place. I picked up the '08 with 28000km on it for $1500. Needs a little work, but only another $1000-$1500 worth. For that price, my plan was to sell the '07 in the spring to cover all expenses on the '08. New one came with a bunch of good stuff on it, and any other farkles I would just mine off the older one. What got me in trouble was a crappy winter with too much time to think and a bunch of bike mags in my mailbox. Both bikes are set up completely different, with the newer one having rear hugger / fender eliminator, a 2 bros can, and I've ordered PR4's. Old one was set up more for gravel. I expect the newer one will be a totally different ride once complete. Was actually thinking about an enduro or cafe racer as well, but I really only have storage space for 1 (plus my wife's scoot). Unless something changes, will probably keep the '08, but $$ talks, and will see who wants to give my what for which come spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode