Seat Bag that offers back support - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seat Bag that offers back support

So...I'm searching (not very successfully I might add) for a bag that I can mount to my passenger seat that I can pack with clothes etc. that will act as a backrest. Anyone find anything along these lines? I've got a coast to coast trip coming up in May and we are aiming to do 3500 miles in 6 days so I need to start tweaking the bike a bit. Figured I'd look into upgrading the stock seat and probably get an air hawk too. Maybe even one of those beaded seat covers that taxis used to use. I appreciate you thoughts/input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:52 AM

I bolted an SW-Motech Givi adapter plate to my pillion seat. Givi has a variety of cases, and they sell an optional backrest pad.

That might solve your problems. I don't have the backrest pad, but I can rest against my top case. I rarely do.

Last edited by davidg; 01-24-2014 at 08:56 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Do you happen to have any pictures?
How do you like the pillion seat? How long you had it? etc. etc.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I mounted an Axio Hardpack tail bag on the passenger seat and, in conjunction with my Corbin saddle, I've found it offers sufficient back support to make riding quite comfortable. Of course, as they say, "your results may vary, these claims have not been verified by the FDA, batteries not included."

The bag is of excellent quality and reasonable size - not too small and not gigantic. They sell for around $140 which might sound costly but you get what you pay for and this bag is worth the price, IMHO. They aren't easy to find, but if you're interested, I did come across one seller - http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm-lugg...s-hardpack.htm

There are two straps with Velcro at the front (on each side) and two long straps at the rear. I mounted two strips of Velcro on the underside of the saddle to secure the bag's front straps and laced the two rear straps through the passenger grab handles. It's a tidy installation and easy to remove yet still secure enough to protect it from "opportunity thieves" (so far).

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 01-24-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the picture. That setup looks great. Pretty much exactly what I was after. Thanks for the link too. Too bad the item is sold out.

Which Corbin seat do you have? What kind of mileage have you put on it? Happy with it?

Last edited by jmart1375; 01-24-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had one of these on the bike on my trip from Texas to Cali http://www.amazon.com/Saddlemen-TS320-Deluxe-Sport-3516-0037/dp/B000XY6Z66

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM

I use this one from Saddlemen.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
I had to remove the passenger grab handles for it to fit flush but it works very well for me as a back rest. It's not too bad as a tailbag either. My favorite part is that the lid stays rigid and has straps to keep it from flopping fully open.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I like using my passenger grab handles to move the bike when I'm not on it. Easy to do 1 hand on the handlebars and 1 on the back and rely on the kick stand to keep her upright. Pics?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart1375 View Post
Thanks for the picture. That setup looks great. Pretty much exactly what I was after. Thanks for the link too. Too bad the item is sold out.

Which Corbin seat do you have? What kind of mileage have you put on it? Happy with it?

Jmart, the short answer is the one that was on the bike when I bought it. More specifically, and less sarcastically, Corbin calls it the Canyon Dual Sport and it fits 2008 and newer models, according to Corbin's web site. I've cradled my backside on it for something like 8,000 miles and I'm quite happy with it. Some say the Corbin is too hard though I find it's fine for my well padded backside.

I've found that locating a merchant that has the Axio Hardpack in stock is pretty difficult. Perhaps a Google search will turn up results. Most of the usual suspects indicate it's out of stock but is expected sooner or later. That might not be much help though. Maybe one of our forum members has one for sale - you might post a "wanted to buy" item and see what happens.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 PM

Garage
I use a 35L dry bag from Bags Connection. It straps down well and secure to the rear seat, has ample room for storage, and is fully water proof. It's large enough to fill the pillion space, creating a useable back rest for me when I ride.

Here's a link to the product (in Canada):
http://aviciouscycle.ca/mainpages/pr...?productid=216

and a pic of the bag on my Versys:

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 AM

It looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3922.jpg (113.4 KB, 95 views)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:49 PM

I use one of these

I suspect any soft tail bag will do so long as you pack it such that it is comfy to lean against.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
... or you can try wearing a "kidney-belt". I have a 'bad back', and there's no way I could do the rides I do WITHOUT one.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I mounted an Axio Hardpack tail bag on the passenger seat and, in conjunction with my Corbin saddle, I've found it offers sufficient back support to make riding quite comfortable.
One of those came with my other bike, but I'd never used it. Mostly I had my wolfman tail bag there, sometime my gym bag. You inspired me to try it out. It looks good on that bike, and the paint is a close match. There is some back support, though I'm not sure I'll ever use it--to me it seems easier to lean into a back rest on a cruiser.

It doesn't expand like the wolfman, but the unexpanded size is pretty good. I doubt it will be big enough for OP unless he isn't taking many clothes. Or has additional luggage. Maybe a big tank bag.

I think it will be a useful bag for me though.

For the OP if he wants locking storage, a solution like my pillion mounted hard case, or if not a big duffle bag secured to the seat would be good.

The Versys grab rails are too big for the typical cargo net. Some aftermarket racks replace them with thinner ones that will work. Or they could be customized. If you want to use a net to secure a big bag.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 07:53 PM

A Possibility - REV PACK good company - good products

Best in the search . . . This is a REV PACK "Tourpack." Depending upon placement, back support could be attained. . .

www.revpack.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4192.jpg (103.1 KB, 79 views)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I mounted an Axio Hardpack tail bag on the passenger seat and, in conjunction with my Corbin saddle, I've found it offers sufficient back support to make riding quite comfortable. Of course, as they say, "your results may vary, these claims have not been verified by the FDA, batteries not included."

The bag is of excellent quality and reasonable size - not too small and not gigantic. They sell for around $140 which might sound costly but you get what you pay for and this bag is worth the price, IMHO. They aren't easy to find, but if you're interested, I did come across one seller - http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm-lugg...s-hardpack.htm

Heres one cheap....http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92196

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM

Garage
f you search, there is a guy in northern midwest who fabricated a movable/adjustable backrest. He made what he needed for the long journeys he rides..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode