Original Handle Bar Tilt forward !!! Forward Lean!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Original Handle Bar Tilt forward !!! Forward Lean!!!

Hi All,

I know some of you change the original handle to something else to get a slight forward lean...

I was wondering if anyone try just to loosen up the screws the tilt the original handle bar forward a little and adjust all the controls... Will that be any problem with clearance with windscreen or anything else...

I am asking because I think versys will be even better in the canyon with slight forward lean.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Thumbs up

Hi LAVersys,
I have done just the opposite I think...i.e. loosened the handlebar allen nuts and tilted it towards me so it just clears the tank!

It is super comfortable right now for regular riding....I think I might have a problem with a full lock turn with gloves etc,. but need to really try it once in the twisties to know for sure.... :-)

Anybody else go in either direction? what are your findings from a comfort and handling twisties standpoint?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:27 PM

I adjusted mine back. It felt like the bar has those ridges or notches. Anyway, I rotated mine back 3 notches, my mirrors just barely clear the w/s. Very natural and comfortable, the stock position was putting a strain on my wrists.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Hi All,

I know some of you change the original handle to something else to get a slight forward lean...

I was wondering if anyone try just to loosen up the screws the tilt the original handle bar forward a little and adjust all the controls... Will that be any problem with clearance with windscreen or anything else...

I am asking because I think versys will be even better in the canyon with slight forward lean.

Thanks!
No, but please report back if you try it as I've been going through the same thought process.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

If no one try this before...

I will have one of my friends help me with this setup and report back...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You may well adjust it to your taste, and verify for proper clearance. Aren't the handlebars set upon dealer assembly and PDI?
The Versys is usually delivered with rear brake pedal set too low, improperly set gear shifter (don't remember if it was too low or too high), and with headlight beam too low and to the left...

Last edited by invader; 08-17-2009 at 01:58 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Hi LAVersys,

Probably be tiring for long rides.(leaning forward).

Get someone to hold your bike upright at the back.
Sit down in your normal riding position.
Imagined and capture yourself in a comfortable relaxed riding posture.
Adjusting the handlebars to that sweet position and go for a ride.
Continue tweeting till you're happy.

Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM

I've tried several different postions at different times. It only takes about two minutes to make each change, so its not a big deal. Just make sure the "gap" in the handlebar clamp is the same front and back when you are done.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Hi LAVersys,

Probably be tiring for long rides.(leaning forward).

Get someone to hold your bike upright at the back.
Sit down in your normal riding position.
Imagined and capture yourself in a comfortable relaxed riding posture.
Adjusting the handlebars to that sweet position and go for a ride.
Continue tweeting till you're happy.

Good Luck.
Hi STLee29,

A lot of sport touring bike are setup to have a slight forward lean, actually better for long distance ride. My K1200GT and FZ1 before both have slight forward lean and I have done longer than 500 miles a day ride with them, and it's perfect. My Vstrom is upright like Versys and I was having back pain when I do long distance ride.

I am talking about just a slight forward lean, not sportbike lean.

I will play with the settings next weekend and see how things to.

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You may well adjust it to your taste, and verify for proper clearance. Aren't the handlebars set upon dealer assembly and PDI?
The Versys is usually delivered with rear brake pedal set too low, improperly set gear shifter (don't remember if it was too low or too high), and with headlight beam too low and to the left...
Actually my Versys is setup right... Including the headlight aim.

I am just looking for a slight (yes, very slight) forward lean for better long distance and canyon ride.

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAVersys View Post
Actually my Versys is setup right... Including the headlight aim.

I am just looking for a slight (yes, very slight) forward lean for better long distance and canyon ride.
A year ago my back was bothering me. I moved the bars forward, so that I had to reach for them a little more. It made a big difference in my riding posture and comfort. I haven't moved them back.

Last edited by toocanad; 08-19-2009 at 04:41 AM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocanad View Post
A year ago my back was bothering me. I moved the bars forward, so that I had to reach for them a little more. I made a big difference in my riding posture and comfort. I haven't moved them back.
Yes. Same here! Finally, someone know what I am talking about.

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
psc

+1 on moving the bars "forward". I've done that on all my bikes. One achieves a slight tilt forward. I feel more 'planted' in the saddle, grip the tank more firmly, and certainy more integrated with the bike.
However, I found that on the V, by just rotating the bars up to move the handgrips forward presents a wrist angle that isn't suitable for me. Instead, if I rotate the bars downward, I achieve the optimal wrist angle, but then the bars are actually closer to me. I am looking at either changing out the bars, or find a Rox riser like attachment to physically move the whole bar forward.

Peter
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM

I meant that the handlebars aren't always set up the same originally, and not necessarily perfect for everyone during PDI... It is adjustable, but usually better with the grips near horizontal. Your levers will go down a bit if handlebars are rotated forward, and they can be rotated back up as well.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

My friend and I was discussing this while we were standing around and checking out my bike...

He was mentioning that I might want to drop the front suspension by 5mm to get more front end feel... If needed, just rotate the handle forward just a little...

Another problem with Versys is that when you lean over to take a curve fast... Handlebar feel way too light...

Wondering if anyone else drop the front suspension, if so, how many mm???

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Droping the front triple clamps on the forks will actually make it turn a bit quicker. You could try adding front end preload on the fork springs instead. How's the front end sag when just sitting on it, and is there too much front end dive when you brake?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Droping the front triple clamps on the forks will actually make it turn a bit quicker. You could try adding front end preload on the fork springs instead. How's the front end sag when just sitting on it, and is there too much front end dive when you brake?
I had a friend adjust the suspension for me a while back... Preload is okay, I weight about 160 or so. He did adjust the rebound a little... I forgot which way... Bike ride much better than when it was stock.

No, not much front end dive when I brake.

Correct, dropping suspension, bike turn quicker... Will I get more feel? I meant will the handlebar become heavier while lean over?

Current bike
09 Kawasaki Versys

Previous bikes
07 Suzuki GSXR 1000
07 Yamaha FZ1
06 BMW K1200 GT
05 Suzuki Vstrom 650
01 Yamaha Vstar 650
90 Yamaha FZR 600
7x Yamaha Enduro 125

Last edited by LAVersys; 08-20-2009 at 01:48 AM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Just make sure the "gap" in the handlebar clamp is the same front and back when you are done.
I think the proper way is to have the gap on the aft side only. I would have to look it up but its one way or the other not even (if I remember correctly).

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
I think the proper way is to have the gap on the aft side only. I would have to look it up but its one way or the other not even (if I remember correctly).
Hmmm - maybe i'm thinking of my other bike's handlebar clamps - checking the manual would be a good thing.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc View Post
However, I found that on the V, by just rotating the bars up to move the handgrips forward presents a wrist angle that isn't suitable for me. Instead, if I rotate the bars downward, I achieve the optimal wrist angle, but then the bars are actually closer to me.
Peter
And this is the issue that some people may be missing; you can rotate the bars forward or backward, but you will change the angle of the grips from the horizontal: rotating too far forward will pull the outside of the grips up and make it uncomforable on your wrists. Rotating them too far back will make you feel like your riding a chopper. I prefer the grips to be as close to dead level as possible.

The only way to have it all is to replace the bars with ones that suit your needs. Most bar websites have all the necessary dimensions including rear sweep, etc.

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode