Tracking... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tracking...

My bike prior to the V was a 2003 Yamaha FJR. Great bike, but just too big and heavy for my needs (plus an absolute ball-baking engine heat inferno at anything above 70 degrees outside). One of the attributes I liked the least about it was it had this mind of it's own in terms of tracking grooves on the highway. Every groove encountered when merging onto the highway, doing lane changes, or crossing bridges would produce those fun little wobbles where the bike feels like it's going one way and your body another. Never serious, but just enough that I found myself always making these very deliberate cuts across any groves in the road to try to minimize the effect.

Just realized I've unconsciously been doing the same on my V, but it seems to be almost immune to tracking groves in the road. Any thoughts on why there would be such a big difference? Just the overall weight? Tires? My old age and senility?

Still tryin' to recapture the magic of being 10 years old on a Honda Mini Trail 50...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Too many variables in the equation. Tires, air pressure, riding style, groove type etc. My FJR didn't do that to me. It was a great bike except for the weight (heat was never a problem). Plus I don't need 126 horses to push around my 150 lbs.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodVERSYSevil View Post
Just realized I've unconsciously been doing the same on my V, but it seems to be almost immune to tracking groves in the road. Any thoughts on why there would be such a big difference? Just the overall weight? Tires? My old age and senility?
Groove tracking is 99% tire design. Sad, you could have fixed the issue on the FJR with a better tire selection.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Tracking is also associated with the amount of rake and trail on a given bike/setup. Bikes with less trail / steep rake (sport bikes) are much more susceptible to this effect. They are engineered for quick steering and sacrifice stability in order to get it. That is why many of them come standard with a steering dampener.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM

My cruiser tracked on everything.

I figured the Versys wasn't doing the same thing is because i fly over them now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode