Cooling fan - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cooling fan

So I've noticed that even here in cool and moist Seattle, my cooling fan seems to run quite a bit around town. I hear it when I pull up to a stop sign. I don't know if it is running while I'm on the freeway or not, but I would hope not.

Is it normal for the fan to be needing to run even in the winter around town? Makes me wonder how in the world the bike will stay cool in the summer. Temps now about 40 degrees. What about 90 degrees? Should I be concerned?

I have checked, and the coolant is full and new and does not leak or get burned. Steady coolant level for almost 1,000 miles now.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM

I hardly ever hear my fan kick itself on unless I'm in stop and go... hot Florida summertime traffic.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:13 PM

It's not necessarily indicative of an issue. I've been in chilly weather and still get the fan if I'm doing a lot of stop & go without much sustained higher speed riding. Even on a cold day, airflow through the radiator is really the only way the bike stays at the appropriate temperature. If there's no airflow, fan kicks in.

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 20,500 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 258,000 miles

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Question

I've never heard mine kick in, & I have been out on 90'f temps,so has mine got the opposite problem of yours?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
It's not necessarily indicative of an issue. I've been in chilly weather and still get the fan if I'm doing a lot of stop & go without much sustained higher speed riding. Even on a cold day, airflow through the radiator is really the only way the bike stays at the appropriate temperature. If there's no airflow, fan kicks in.
I agree...not necessarily an issue, particularly since your coolant level is full and remaining consistent. My fan has come on the past couple of weeks in 40-50 degree temps...always a result of relatively extended periods of not moving. I seriously doubt your fan is coming on while on the freeway. And, just because your fan comes on in cooler temps doesn't mean you will have problems in hot weather. I've ridden my V mid-summer through Arizona and Nevada in 120+ degree temps without any overheating issues whatsoever--at least with the bike!

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 PM
MTS

If it comes on and off its working.

Thermo by pass not the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
If it comes on and off its working.

Thermo by pass not the best.
Yes he's right, I know mine Didn't come on at all. Kawasaki wants $450.00 for that stupid fan. I found one on E-bay for $16.00 form a 650 Ninja. Plugged right up and bolted right on.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the thoughts. I know car mechanics quite well, but this is my first bike and so wasn't sure. With no temperature gauge or anything I don't know how you would even know if it was overheating. Maybe our bikes have an idiot light I have seen because it hasn't overheated.

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Yes he's right, I know mine Didn't come on at all. Kawasaki wants $450.00 for that stupid fan. I found one on E-bay for $16.00 form a 650 Ninja. Plugged right up and bolted right on.
Good Find.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 PM

Good question. I have often wondered the same thing. I have always kept my bike in good working order and I have noticed the fan seems to come on quite a bit. Having said that nothing seems to be wrong so I did not question it much.

On second thoughts if it does begin to fail what should I look out for?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does yours have a radiator guard, which reduces air flow? How many years old is your coolant? Idle speed is set to 1,300 rpm?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salishversys View Post
...Maybe our bikes have an idiot light I have seen because it hasn't overheated.
Yes they do. It's mentioned on page 29 of the Owners Manual, and is just left of the "4" on the tach.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 PM

I don't think I've ever heard my fan kick on in cold weather, but the stop and go riding I do usually has a lot of longer trips in between stops. Even when it kicks in in the summer, it'll kick off after 10 or 20 seconds, at a stop light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode