Loading Versys in a truck - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Loading Versys in a truck

Hi All, Can any one post pics of a Versys loaded in a 1/2 ton truck, showing how the front forks were tide down without damaging any thing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM

I dunno, you might check on a Harley forum.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Just put the tie down through the same opening that the fork trees come through in the front fairing. It worked for me. We only had to drive about 60 mi. (The bikes are not tied down in this pic yet.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrosTaosTrip 022(2).jpg (128.8 KB, 249 views)

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:24 PM

i tied to the h-bar to secure the bike and then another strap over/around the rear grab handles. worked well for me, drove about 60 miles over some concrete highway and over alot of back country roads

2008 versys red with full luggage

"when in doubt ghetto it out"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM

I have yet to trailer my V so I can't help too much there, but have you tried one of those canyon dancer harnesses for the handlebars? If you are going to trailer it often it might be worth the investment.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM

I use a Condor Pit stop wheel chock. http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1001

When you go to and MC show they will demonstrate how to use it. There are videos on the site. They only use 2 tiedowns.

I use 4.

The bike is secured with ratchet tie downs from the SWmotek crash bars and forward. Then from the trellis frame to the rear. 4 tiedowns.

The type of handle bars on the Versys are the type that could shift and unload the tension on the front end if you used a Canyon Dancer bar tie down strap.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,,I have to go 180 miles to pick it up and the forcast is for thunder storms...
I will try the front trees and see how it goes...

I would rather ride it ,,but need to get it first,,,
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 PM

I bought mine about 360 miles away. Hauled it home in a snowstorm.

I hauled it in my S 10 pickup, using three nylon straps to tie it down.

I looped the nylon straps around the fork tube above the lower triple tree and through the eyelet in the truck and hooked the hooks together. Did this on each side, compressing the forks and standing the bike straight up. I see some guys try to tie the bike down leaving it on the sidestand, I don't recommend this practice.

I did this on each side and one through the back wheel and to the eyelets in the back of the bed. It never moved.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 PM

In case you didn't get this from above "COMPRESS THE FRONT FORKS". If you don't the bikes front tire will turn as you go over bumps and such. And once it starts to go its, as the Italians say, "Its ah to f***** late... DOn't ask me how I know this...

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 03:20 AM

+1 BSCOTT.
p.s. -- If anyone sees my bike in the back of a truck call the cops...It's being stolen!

KYCVORNURSE
"DRIVE FAST AND SWERVE ALOT!"
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Rub

Make a loop in your tie down strap:

Put the loop around your hand grip:

A couple of people have warned me that this method will bugger your grips but I've never had any problems.

Dave
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 AM

bscott,

do you have a regular or long box S10? Did you have to leave the tail gate open and was the V straight or on a diagonal? I have a regular length box S10 and I haven't tried to put the V in the back yet. I'm just curious as to how it fit.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Got it home,,I took the straps through the from forks and it worked great..
It nevr mover an inch,,

On another note if taking it off a ramp make sure the kick stand it up and you are standing on the right side of the bike. It makes it easier to use the break to control the bike on the way down the ramp...

Thanks for all who replied,,,now to install my Givi bags!!!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
bscott,

do you have a regular or long box S10? Did you have to leave the tail gate open and was the V straight or on a diagonal? I have a regular length box S10 and I haven't tried to put the V in the back yet. I'm just curious as to how it fit.
I have a long box, but the gate was closed with plenty of room. Had it straight in.

On the short box, you may have to leave the gate open. I'd just measure it

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Can someone explain to me why it's such a big deal that the tailgate needs to be up. I have a Honda Ridgeline and it hauls a bike fine but the tailgate has to be down. I just never understood why everyone seems to have this hangup about the tailgate being up.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM

I didn't take any close up pictures, but I put the bike in backwards and closed the tailgate so I could hook up to the boat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1793.JPG (55.0 KB, 332 views)
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Tell me a little bit more about loading your V in a Ridgeline. I am considering the Ridgeline for my next truck and have a concern about short bed length. Do you use 4 tie-downs and a wheel chock?
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 PM

I've used Pingel removable wheel chocks for years. Two small plates are bolted down in the truck bed, and the chock snaps in and out. You also need two loops in the bed for the tie down straps. Use a couple of nylon web loops to anchor the straps to the fork stanchions just above the lower triple clamp.

As long as the straps compress the forks by pulling them down and forward, no other straps are really needed.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I've used Pingel removable wheel chocks for years. Two small plates are bolted down in the truck bed, and the chock snaps in and out. You also need two loops in the bed for the tie down straps. Use a couple of nylon web loops to anchor the straps to the fork stanchions just above the lower triple clamp.

As long as the straps compress the forks by pulling them down and forward, no other straps are really needed.
If you don't want to drill holes in your truck bed, mount your Pingel base to a sturdy wooden board that goes the width of your truck bed all the way forward. Once your bike is in the chock and tied down, the Pingel isn't going anywhere. I bought my Versys in Florida and drove it home to Massachusetts in my truck, no problems at all. No new holes in my truck bed either.

I used ttpete's method with the triple clamp and tie down loops.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald eagle View Post
Tell me a little bit more about loading your V in a Ridgeline. I am considering the Ridgeline for my next truck and have a concern about short bed length. Do you use 4 tie-downs and a wheel chock?
You don't need a wheel chock. The Ridgeline was built for hauling a motorcycle. The bed has cutouts in the front of the bed just for motorcycle tires (they also make an accessory chock that bolts right in), the channels line up all the way to the tailgate that has an indention on the inside of it for the rear tire to sit in. There ar four tie down posts at each end, two high and two low and plenty of lighting all over. It's been a great truck and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I didn't think about it before because of the short bed but after talking with a bunch of guys on the Supermoto boards, the truck designers went to motorcycle events and talked with motorcyclists about what they wanted in a truck and came up with the bed design that way. So far it's worked great. I wish I had some pics of it loaded so I could show you.

Here's a couple pics I found online of the bed with the tailgate down. You can see what I was talking about when you look in it. There are also two more pics with it loaded with supermotos that pretty much sold me on the truck. All in all, it could use a little bit more motor, but it's nothing I can't live with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06_ridgeline_rev_bedopen.jpg (50.3 KB, 877 views)
File Type: jpg OVA_06-04-06_011.jpg (71.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg ovvvv.jpg (87.8 KB, 117 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
loading in truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode