Completed: 1200km endurance challenge on a V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Completed: 1200km endurance challenge on a V

Completed last Saturday. 300+ participants. Take off at midnight, the earliest finisher is a R1200GS, his time is 11:30am, mine was 4:00PM.

Here are my thoughts on the V after the event:

1. Windshield needs to be replaced, useless at freeway speed. I was crouched forward keeping 150kph when the mighty GS rider sitting in a relaxed-like-a-scooter, courtesy of the titantic windshiled of the GS. I didnt like the look of black touring Zero Gravity, anyone has experience with Givi?
2. Legs are being pulled both sides like the wind is trying to split them open. Any mods to fix this? I was thinking like putting some plastic like a leg shield as soon as I install some crash guard on it.
3. Stock tires ok, I even cooked them on the canyon to the point that they turned sticky like hot glue. Is the stocked rear tire a soft compound?
4. No vibrations at any speed (thanks to a thread here about suspension tuning).
5. Lights are not that bright (I'm looking into adding some fog lights and extra LED lights, tell me what you think)
6. I really need to buy that custom rear rack where our forummember KTMDual is selling, I've seen givi mounts and SW-Motech, I'm not impressed with how they look.
7. Pillion is ok, no sore a$$.
8. Hand guard, a must. Black on yellow V looks best (yellow on yellow, not that impressive).
9. On 2-3 instances, I had the front tire screetched (locked) on a straight when I am breaking hard. Is this a problem with the stocked front tire (was it a hard compound?)

Mine up front, there were about 8Vs who participated (ninja 1000 is my buddy's ride)

The finishers I arrived with (Hayabusa and R1 on left, white in the middle is a Triumph 650, and 4xBMW on the right)

Quote:
ad astra per aspera

Last edited by krispradez; 01-12-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:02 AM

congratulations! i know it was a really tough endurance race!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM

Awesome! Sounds

Here are my thoughts for you:

1. Windshield needs to be replaced, useless at freeway speed. I was crouched forward keeping 150kph when the mighty GS rider sitting in a relaxed-like-a-scooter, courtesy of the titantic windshiled of the GS. I didnt like the look of black touring Zero Gravity, anyone has experience with Givi?

Did you move the windshield all the way up? I'm 6'4" and I like the breeze during the summer.

2. Legs are being pulled both sides like the wind is trying to split them open. Any mods to fix this? I was thinking like putting some plastic like a leg shield as soon as I install some crash guard on it.

This is a standard that comes with the V. There is nothing that can be done to improve this feature.

3. Stock tires ok, I even cooked them on the canyon to the point that they turned sticky like hot glue. Is the stocked rear tire a soft compound?

Riding in Southern California?

4. No vibrations at any speed (thanks to a thread here about suspension tuning).

5. Lights are not that bright (I'm looking into adding some fog lights and extra LED lights, tell me what you think) Have you adjusted them to the correct angle?

Standard option is that they are set low from the factory.

6. I really need to buy that custom rear rack where our forummember KTMDual is selling, I've seen givi mounts and SW-Motech, I'm not impressed with how they look.

Touratech has a nice rack that can be used with their cases or with Kriega soft bags.

7. Pillion is ok, no sore a$$.

At least yours is willing to ride! You might considor a Corbin seat with the back pad for long rides.

8. Hand guard, a must. Black on yellow V looks best (yellow on yellow, not that impressive).

Bark busters from Twistedthrottle or Ascerbis works pretty well.

9. On 2-3 instances, I had the front tire screetched (locked) on a straight when I am breaking hard. Is this a problem with the stocked front tire (was it a hard compound?)

Yes, the dunlops run hard. Surprised you slid though. Metzler's Z6 & Z8 work veery well for the V. I had my back tire lift off the pavement one day.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by angst; 01-13-2014 at 07:01 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Big windscreen = big drag. Big drag = lower top end, higher fuel consumption.

Stock lights on the Versys are pretty good. Maybe yours needs to be adjusted. I put a couple of Silverstar Ultras in mine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispradez View Post

5. Lights are not that bright (I'm looking into adding some fog lights and extra LED lights, tell me what you think)

For #2 - try making a conscious effort to 'hold' the tank w/ your knees (works for me).

For #5 - try aligning them, then maybe add some LED (Denalis...?) driving lights IF you still feel the need.

For #6 - - - LOVE mine!

For #8 - I have the ZETA XC guards. Saved me in a 20 mph 'low-side' and a few tip-overs.

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your 'enduro'...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Congratulations Kris! I don't think I could ride that long. Here's a photo of my riding buddy who also finished the run in 18hrs on his KLR. He used to live here and the longest ride we did together was about 500 miles to Niagara Falls and 500 back the next day. Never had problems with the legs though, even when I was doing around 95mph on the straightways.

Gerald
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLR 650.jpg (55.5 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by jrider; 01-13-2014 at 03:04 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Congratulations on completing the event!
That is a cool accomplishment!
There is something about "endurance" events on motorcycles that is very satisfying when you finish.

I once did an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles within 24hrs) on the Versys. I actually ended up doing 1098 miles (corrected) in 18 hours (a 61 mph average). I bring that up because I did some numbers from your event for fun (hopefully correct!)
The Beem that "won" your event completed 745 miles in 11.5 hours (a 64.7 mph average), and you did 745 in 16 hours (a 46.6 mph avg). I don't know what kind of "pace" you were running, but I personally started out "hot" on my ride. The first 3 gas stops were 5-10 minutes and back on the road (wolf down some beef jerky, string cheese, bottle of water-all carried in top case, clean visor, pay at pump with CC to avoid lines, use restroom if needed, all as if I was completing a "double-time drill" or doing it "Indy 500 Pit-Stop-Style"). I wonder what the "pace" of the guy on the winning GS was...? I was also riding on long straight shot highways (Cal. I 5 ) and was able to drain entire tanks staying in the 80-90 (ahem 105) mph range the whole time. Anyway, the point is that I feel the Versys could compete with that 64.7 mph average the Big Beem pulled off in your event, and do it with comfort and composure--IF somebody wanted to....
Thoughts?

Some observations on some observations....
    • I don't know if I agree that the stock windscreen is "useless." It does take a large portion of the wind blast off your chest at speed, which increases riding comfort, at least for me. I put a Givi on early on after purchasing the bike and recently switched back to the stocker...I like the OEM better for daily riding, the Givi for long rides.
    • Not sure about the legs "splitting" thing...I've never experienced that. Perhaps it is a dirt bike background and all the squeezing the bike with your knees that comes along with it.
    • Maybe try playing with your gearing for extended highway riding (or even just in general)....16 tooth sprocket up front, or a 43/44 in the rear seems to be the general consensus.
    • I find the headlight to be rather good. As other as have said, I needed to angle mine up (big time) and I am running some kind of Silverstars, which are definitely brighter than the OEM bulbs.
    • Others detest the stock seat, I also think it is not that bad. Even thought I did do my IB SS1000 with an air hawk type seat pad (just 'cause I am a sissy like that).

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Congratulations Kris! I don't think I could ride that long. Here's a photo of my riding buddy who also finished the run in 18hrs on his KLR. He used to live here and the longest ride we did together was about 500 miles to Niagara Falls and 500 back the next day. Never had problems with the legs though, even when I was doing around 95mph on the straightways.

Gerald
I saw this rider, the KLR looks huge (maybe because of the front tire), he might have been caught by two archnemesis of riders - rain and heavy traffic due to road construction, i was lucky not to catch the rain (everyone who is 30mins behind are wet), rain started in the canyons 300km from take off at 3-4am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Big windscreen = big drag. Big drag = lower top end, higher fuel consumption.

Stock lights on the Versys are pretty good. Maybe yours needs to be adjusted. I put a couple of Silverstar Ultras in mine.
In the wet canyon road at dawn without road marker, all we can see is black (there's no reflection on the road), my buddy on ninja 1000 also confirmed that he overshoot because he couldnt see the turn in the road. i guess it's not a versys specific issue, so when a rider with all the extra lights passed by, i did my best to keep up.

Quote:
ad astra per aspera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode