I Bid Thee Farewell - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I Bid Thee Farewell

Well, my V and I parted company about 2 months ago. It went to a new home and is being even more loved and enjoyed than when I had it.

About 4 weeks ago I purchased an XT1200Z Super Tenere. I could expand on my thoughts of the S10, but a V forum is not the place for it...unless someone asks me to.

So, it is with heavy heart that I bid you, the friendly V community, farewell. Thanks for all the help and advice over the years. And I hope that I have helped at least one person on the forum along the way too.

I leave the V community on good terms and pleased that I got to experience this absolutely fantastic and grossly underrated bike.

Cheers,
Glenn

Motorcycles...the only true freedom man has left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Cheers, all the best with your new ride.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Super Tenere will be great to blast through Oz land... You won't miss the Versys at all.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Gun View Post
About 4 weeks ago I purchased an XT1200Z Super Tenere. I could expand on my thoughts of the S10, but a V forum is not the place for it...unless someone asks me to.
Expand away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM
MTS

Congrats ride free and be safe!

When I was in Muab UT ran into a rider with a ST he said he looked at the V but his buddies told him to get the ST with DD. No chain to tighten!

Awesome bike! Feel free to expand!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 01-09-2014 at 06:29 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Congrats ride free and be safe!

When I was in Muab UT ran into a rider with a ST he said he looked at the V but his buddies told him to get the ST with DD. No chain to tighten!

Awesome bike! Feel free to expand!
That's what may push me to the Tenere eventually. I could see one replacing the Concours and Versys and provide an experience somewhere in the middle.

Since my local Kawasaki dealership has closed and I am relying on the internet for parts, it is harder to stay loyal to Kawasaki. The closest dealer is Honda, but I have no idea what Honda is doing these days. There is nothing in their lineup that appeals to me.

The closest dealers are 40 miles away now, and that is 40 miles in the direction I don't frequent.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM

Maybe you should open a dealership? Wonder how much that costs... (couple of hundred grand at least I'd think, plus finding a good mechanic, space, etc...) Maybe it's more fun to just ride. :-)

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

Farewell and Ride Safe no matter what ride you choose!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Adios.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM

The Tenere looks like a great bike. I suspect you'll have a blast.

Ride safe,
Dave

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Expand away...
To start with, I had several bikes in my garage. Two of them were a Honda CBR11Blackbird and a Versys. I anted to consolidate the two whilst improving my offroadability.

I had a budget of $AUD15,000 after selling the V and the Blackbird. So that eliminated the new Tiger 1200XC. So, with the 1000+cc engine size decided upon to get the torque that the Blackbird had, I was left contemplatimg the Strom 1000, the Versys 1000, the R1200GS, the VFR1200X, and the Super Tenere.

After much research I learned that I wanted shaft drive, which eliminated the Versys and the Strom. The VFR isnt quite offroad enough for me, a similar bike to the Versys 1000 but with a 19" front wheel. And I didnt read much good about the R1200GS shaft drive, plus Im not really into sipping lattes while inflating other GS riders egos.

So, despite being a little concerned with the extra weight the ST carries compared to the GS, I bought one. And have not looked back.

Firstly, the extra weight is there because this bike is built tough, real tough.

Secondly, the extra weight is there on the spec sheet for all to see, but it simply cannot be felt when riding. Yamaha got this bike right. It literally feels like a 200kg DRZ400 with 100 horsepower. I ride it the same as I ride my DRZ, just with more respect as 100 horses on the firetrails can get you into trouble pretty quick if you're not careful.

The 1200 engine is super smooth when cruising the highways and back roads. Feels much more like an inline 4 than an inline twin. This really surprised me. Its also pretty decent on fuel too. Im getting around 4.6 to 5.0 litres per 100km depending on whether I'm fully loaded with luggage or not.

The main thing I wanted from upgrading from the V was a better handling bike offroad. If you look at some of my posts on here you'll see that I was very much in the "Versys makes a great adventure tourer" camp. I still am. But the suspension needed another two inches of travel and some better/softer compression damping. In a nutshell, the S10 suspension is exactly that. Much more compliant in the rough stuff and I've not bottomed it out yet, even when fully loaded.

I honestly cant recommend the S10 enough if any V owners are looking for a bit more power and/or more offroadability

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:53 AM

So in a nutshell, Oz-Gun, "bigger better faster more."

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Gun View Post
...Firstly, the extra weight is there because this bike is built tough, real tough....
Only fellow I know w/ an S-10 had some bad luck riding in Moab last spring: his front wheel 'pushed' a flat rock into a 45 degree angle (high at the rear), and despite an aftermarket skid-plate broke his crankcase when it "jammed" into the bottom of his engine. They were able to "JB Weld" it enough to get back to civilization, but he's since replaced the 'case.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

You could say that, but its not as nimble and fun in the tighter twisty stuff. The steering geometry and longer wheelbase and the mountainous torque make for more lazy and relaxed ride.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Only fellow I know w/ an S-10 had some bad luck riding in Moab last spring: his front wheel 'pushed' a flat rock into a 45 degree angle (high at the rear), and despite an aftermarket skid-plate broke his crankcase when it "jammed" into the bottom of his engine. They were able to "JB Weld" it enough to get back to civilization, but he's since replaced the 'case.
Ed, some of the aftermarket bash plates bolt directly to the sump on the S10 so a decent enough hit will crack the sump. It seems a bit silly to me. There are a couple of protection manufacturers that make bash plates that bolt to the frame only and Id reckon you could trigger a land mine with one of these on and not cause any damage. Typically these better ones are made from 5mm or 6mm alloy plate.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Nice post Oz, and I believe I am not alone in saying we are riders first, and Versys riders second. In that spirit, have fun, be safe, and keep helping others through forums like this!

2009 Versys 16K

We sit together the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode