how my versys can take?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
how my versys can take??

Hello,

I'm preparing a honey moon trip on my V to south of spain. I'm also happy to have bought Givi sidecase V35 with the mounting rack for 350 USD including shipping!

now the big question: how much load can the V take?

I'm 220 lbs without gear (yeah I should loose weight I know...!)
she's 130 lbs without gear
the givi E450 top case may take around 22 lbs
givi sidecase V35 might both take around 30 lbs
if you add our gears it should be around 33 lbs

now we talk about a total of around 435 lbs!!!

I will ride for pleasure, no hard cornering so aggressive driving, we will just relax and enjoy the wind and drive probably less than 75mph...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 PM

Congrats on the upcoming trip!....Add a few more pounds of air in the tires and don't worry about the V...It can cope very easy. Make sure you concentrate 100% on your new Bride....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Bike + Gear + Me + Wife = 420 kg (925 lbs)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM

I was at Rota in October. I remember what my wife took on our honeymoon . . . but, you don't need much. Every place you stay will have a place to wash clothes. You likely won't be camping. The beaches around Rota are topless so that helps a little there. Probably adjust the rear preload to the max, same for the front.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Have a look in your "Owners Manual" for the Versys' maximum gross weight.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I just took my GF on her first ride. I'm right at 300lbs before gear she's about 125lbs and i had a top case full of tools and stuff. i have a 16T front sprocket on the bike. The Versys did great we went up to 80mph a few times. Heres a video so you can see the bike went as it usually does...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Banned

It's not about the engines power.

"Max Recommended Load" of 186 kg (410 lb.) is a safety consideration as it relates to
emergency stopping distance, suspension and tires.

A full tank of gasoline is approximately 31 lbs should also be included as load
unless someone has other definite information otherwise.

The General Specification Table attached does use the wording ... "Max Recom Load".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Hello,

I'm preparing a honey moon trip on my V to south of spain. I'm also happy to have bought Givi sidecase V35 with the mounting rack for 350 USD including shipping!

now the big question: how much load can the V take?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sp_KLE650CCF.jpg (61.5 KB, 75 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sp_KLE650CCF.pdf (22.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Seeya; 01-06-2014 at 08:51 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all and thank you Weljo for always providing documented proofs!

I will try the bike with all the load for a short distance before hiting to road to spain.

Regards

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
It's not about the engines power.

"Max Recommended Load" of 186 kg (410 lb.) is a safety consideration as it relates to emergency stopping distance, suspension and tires.

The General Specification Table attached does use the wording ... "Max Recom Load".
Good safety guidelines and recommended, but..these are for the protection of the various manufactures e.g. tires...brakes.. suspension etc...in cases of gross overloading...law suits and such....Some of the mopeds in foreign countries carry the whole family and even the pet goat!..They only quit when the wheel collapses!I am not suggesting you do that, but if you follow the manufactures guidelines you are definately well within the load capacity of the bike...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Got this response from revzilla:

Thank you for reaching out to us. Based on the amount of weight you will be carrying on your Versys, I think going with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires is a good idea. The GT version of the Road 4 tires is reinforced to handle a heavier load and will be better suited to support the amount of weight you will be carrying.

If you go with the regular Road 4 tires, they will be overloaded and can lead to dangerous handling which may cause a crash.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
Got this response from revzilla:

Thank you for reaching out to us. Based on the amount of weight you will be carrying on your Versys, I think going with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires is a good idea. The GT version of the Road 4 tires is reinforced to handle a heavier load and will be better suited to support the amount of weight you will be carrying.

If you go with the regular Road 4 tires, they will be overloaded and can lead to dangerous handling which may cause a crash.

But they do not do a 160 rear in the PR4 GT for the V
Smallest is a 170

at
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

not a big issue. I am ready to try 170...the only thing is that I have a rear hugger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode