Anyone pull a trailer? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone pull a trailer?

Before I got my Versys I owned a dual purpose bike, and more than a few of the guys pulled a trailer behind their bikes on longer trips. I don't see any being mentioned on the site yet... not that I have searched them out thoroughly. I think if you had your trailer to match the bike, may have a better look than sidebags. Just wondering...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/

Good people, but no, I don't trailer.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Most of my friends are suggesting to make a trailer after they see my V

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 AM

Update:

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Not yet

On one of the ADV pages, show your bike and trailer, or something
Like that. The guy had a ST800 and was pulling a Uni-go.
A very sweet rig and the V would pull it nicely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM

Most folks carry way to much stuff. I carry everything I need for extended trips that includes camping and cooking in a small Rubbermaid Action Packer mounted as a top case. The advantage of a top case is it doesn't add any aerodynamic drag. The disadvantage is it raises the center of gravity.

My current setup: MSR Hubba tent (3 lb), Western Mounteering bag (1lb), Neoaire XL (1/2 lb), cooking/eating gear MSR Simmerlite stove/bottle/fuel titanium pot (2lb)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
For me a trailer would mean more maintenance that just having side bags.

Here is my bike set up for 4 weeks on the road with camping.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Most folks carry way to much stuff. I carry everything I need for extended trips that includes camping and cooking in a small Rubbermaid Action Packer mounted as a top case. The advantage of a top case is it doesn't add any aerodynamic drag. The disadvantage is it raises the center of gravity.

My current setup: MSR Hubba tent (3 lb), Western Mounteering bag (1lb), Neoaire XL (1/2 lb), cooking/eating gear MSR Simmerlite stove/bottle/fuel titanium pot (2lb)

I too suffer from "Overpackitus"

There should be a 12 step program for this. I have gone from toting close to 45 pound of junk to about 20.

I used the smaller Pelican 1520 on my KLR and a 1550 ( it replaced a 1600) as a top box. I find I can get everything I need for a weeks travel in. I do have a very small tank bag, for wallet and other small often needed stuff and and a set of small crash bar bag to carry tire repair stuff

The V35 and Kawasaki top box along with the same little tank bag suit me on the Versys just fine.

I have a very small cooler I toss on the seat with a few bottles of water. That's it.

PLUS unless I read there site wrong the trailer hits the scales at 80 pounds with a 100 max load. THAT would feed a army!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Here's a pic of my V, loaded, for LONG trips....

(Tent, sleeping bag & mat, Coleman gasoline stove, one pot, one spoon, three days grub, some clothes, some bike 'stuff'. I've taken 31 day trips like that.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08488.jpg (53.1 KB, 102 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM

Garage
Owners manual say not to tow a trailer
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Owners manual say not to tow a trailer
you won't find any owner manual that says you can tow a trailer. It is dangerous and the lawyers put that statement in there to keep the lawsuits down to a reasonable level.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/index.php/home

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

After watching the third wheel videos, and looking at the pictures of the guys bikes loaded up, you wonder which is more dangerous? Towing a trailer would probably have some handling issues, but having your bike carrying all that stuff up high would mess your aerodynamics and be top heavy.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM

Top case doesn't affect aerodynamics as it is in the wind shadow of the rider. Keeping the weight down helps. I normally don't carry more than 30 lbs on month long trips. When I am hiking I can get by on 12 lbs.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Top case doesn't affect aerodynamics as it is in the wind shadow of the rider. Keeping the weight down helps. I normally don't carry more than 30 lbs on month long trips. When I am hiking I can get by on 12 lbs.
I doubt this is true. The air will flow around the rider and still get to the box. I would like to see a aero wind tunnel test done with a rider with different bag setups.
I have seen this for pickup trucks and as soon as the cab ends, the air shoots down to the bed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's a pic of my V, loaded, for LONG trips....

(Tent, sleeping bag & mat, Coleman gasoline stove, one pot, one spoon, three days grub, some clothes, some bike 'stuff'. I've taken 31 day trips like that.)
looks good--where does your wife sit?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I doubt this is true. The air will flow around the rider and still get to the box. I would like to see a aero wind tunnel test done with a rider with different bag setups.
I have seen this for pickup trucks and as soon as the cab ends, the air shoots down to the bed.

Get behind an 18 wheeler and tell me what you feel.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Get behind an 18 wheeler and tell me what you feel.
I feel horrible buffeting as all the air rushes back in to fill the hole punched through the air. Yes you can technically draft a tractor trailer but it requires being right off their bumper. That is a vehicle thats 12ftx12ft at least. Your body does not make nearly the hole for drafting.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Trucks must be different where you live.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspark52 View Post
looks good--where does your wife sit?
Usually at home AFTER her golf game, while I'm away....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode